Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hi torque mini starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardgenius, Aug 21, 2020.

1. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

I have a hi torque mini starter on my Hemi. Started my engine to break in the cam and now it doesn't want to work the solenoid is working ok but the starter doesn't want to turn. I had it on the bench and when it's spinning you could stop it with a finger. Stripped it down and there's a clutch type gizmo inside with 5 rollers which grab the shaft, cleaned it all up and put it back and it is a little better managed to fire the engine once more and now nothing again you can hear it spinning but its not grabbing the shaft.

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

What brand is it? I recommend PowerMaster, never a problem to date.

badvolvo and racer-x like this.
  3. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

It’s made by Tuff Stuff the blurb on the box said “Our chrome will get you home” won,t even get me out the garage.

Elcohaulic and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. carolina chevrolet

carolina chevrolet

Maybe it should have said " our chrome will keep you home "

5. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Should the the clutch be tight to get onto the shaft or do the rollers grip it when it starts to spin?

6. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Elcohaulic thanks but I,m in England

Elcohaulic likes this.
  7. 73RR

73RR

Given your location I'd guess the 1-year warranty isn't of alot of help:( Are you using the Dakota unit?
    I've bought plenty of Dakota starters from various dealers on ebay and yet to have an issue. IDK how much Tuff Stuff costs but it might be cheaper to just buy another from someone who will ship to the UK rather than ship it back for warranty.

8. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

73RR I,m using a transmission adapter from Hotheads and bought the starter from them as it fits their adapter. Not sure if it’s the same as the Dakota unit.I,ll have to make some enquiries. I have emailed Tuff Stuff twice asking if the clutch part is available but have had no reply.

9. As far as I know the dakota starter fits early and late hemis. I have run them on both engines for years.

10. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Just looked at the Dakota and it looks the same as what I have here. And they are available from several places over here.
    Thanks for the advice.

11. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Any chance of getting a part number for the freewheel/ clutch in a Dakota starter?

12. Funny...I’m dealing with this same issue on my SBF Ford..also breaking in a new motor..fired this morning ... shut it off...nothing...stopped on the way home...my prayers didn’t work...I saw the “ our chrome will get you home” on the box...this things brand new...

13. 54vicky

54vicky

back in the old days there was a saying if it does not go chrome it sounds like it still applies:)

14. badvolvo

badvolvo

I second the PowerMaster. I bought one and my 632" BBC kicked back and broke the starter into two pieces. Contacted PowerMaster, told them the story, it was out of warranty as it took me a year to get the thing fired up. They said send it in. LESS than a week later, I got my starter back, repaired and a $50.00 repair bill.
    I felt they really took care of this issue. It was out of warranty, not the starters problem, yet repair and return in less than a week. Most of the $50.00 was shipping. American Made, and they stand behind their products. It spins this big inch engine so fast and easy. Really happy I chose PowerMaster.

junkyardgenius and Gammz like this.
  15. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

I did contact Tuff Stuff and they said if I sent the starter back they would have a look and see what the problem was.I,m in England so with shipping both ways etc not viable. I told them what the problem was and asked if I could just purchase the freewheel assembly but they did not reply to this.
    Fitted a new Dakota starter today works fine.” Our chrome will get you home” stuff it where the sun don’t shine.

73RR likes this.