Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Chopped Chevy Sedan Delivery

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RMONTY, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Looking good! Glad the eyes are much improved!

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and RMONTY like this.
  2. RMONTY

RMONTY

Tack, tack, tack, tack,.....sand, sand, sand, sand, tack, tack tack,....sand, sand, sand, sand.......

Its starting to look like a car again......

lrq0.jpg lrq2.jpg lrq3.jpg lrq4.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  3. Dang, I wish I could have been there if for nothing else just some coaching.

Outback, loudbang and RMONTY like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

Man way back when you started this with a pile of old parts I thought to myself man this guy is a glutton for punishment and wondered if it would ever get completed. Now we know it IS going to get done. :rolleyes:

Bowtie Coupe, nunattax and RMONTY like this.
  5. RMONTY

RMONTY

I am building this car for my grandson actually. He is 4 yrs old. I should have it close to being finished by then!

I have to admit, there have been times when I thought to myself I took on a job that I wasnt capable of, but it's just metal, and I am smarter (hopefully) than it is!

Thanks for your words of encouragement loudbang. Now help me figure out what tail lights to go on this heap. I know you have zillions of pictures of Sedan Deliveries!

6. loudbang

loudbang

The search has commenced give me a bit. :)

7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Man I gotta be honest Rmonty I was in the naysayers club when I first saw this project too. I could see the potential but was damn near blinded by all the work to be done. Been a good read watching you tackle it one piece at a time. As for taillight choices Ive used 1950 Coronet tail lights on those quarters, they fit and looked like they were made for it. Dont tell anyone though, Custom secrets ya know...

8. I think I mighta missed if you decided to do a chop this time - quality, very dedicated work!

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  9. RMONTY

RMONTY

I am going to get it straight and solid again, and a chop may come later. I have a couple of things in mind for all that. When I came across the un-chopped car at such a good price, I couldn't pass it up. I just need something to drive for awhile! :cool:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  10. RMONTY

RMONTY

I definitely had stars in my eyes when I bought the chopped Sedan Delivery. Come to find out, it was cataracts and those are all taken care of now! It has been a fun project, and I have acquired a lot of tools along the way, which is a good thing. Some I needed, some I didnt, and some I just plain wanted. I have to stop myself from the urge to go and buy the next project. This one will get done, either chopped or not...we will see a bit further down the road. I have enough cars to have one chopped, and one not, I think!

11. loudbang

loudbang

brEad, Bowtie Coupe and RMONTY like this.
  12. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Not a great angle but here are the 50 Dodge on my Chevy. Ive also seen them flipped upside down. 20200822_114730.jpeg

drdave, nunattax, Peanut 1959 and 5 others like this.
  13. atch

atch

I once saw Harley Davidson tombstone taillights on the top curve of the "fender" on a sedan.

Might work for your car.

RMONTY and loudbang like this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

15. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  16. RMONTY

RMONTY

Those are pretty slick, but I'm thinking something tunneled. The car is a custom, but I want more of a "hot rod" vibe than the tail dragging look. It's going to be lowered some but not with the ass on the ground. I've been looking for something round and medium size, sort of like the 58 chevy wagon, or a teardrop shape. The Harley tombstones are cool, but I think the way they protrude would bring too much of a focal point to them. Thanks for everyones' suggestions and keep em coming!

17. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Medium sized round 50 Pontiac maybe ?..

18. Javier Garcia

Javier Garcia

Very Cool build so far!

loudbang and RMONTY like this.
  19. RMONTY

RMONTY

Maybe......if I can find a pair of these that aren't LED......I might have to get Mr. Moose to try these on the Sedan Delivery.

[​IMG]

20. atch

atch

Have you read my last PM?

RMONTY and loudbang like this.
  21. loudbang

loudbang

22. RMONTY

RMONTY

23. You won't have to try hard.

Bowtie Coupe and RMONTY like this.
  24. RMONTY

RMONTY

25. I know we all want our cars to have a personal touch and nothing does that like a Custom modification. Taillights are just one of those things. You may find this odd but I have a personal Opinion about Customs. I know it's just that, "mine" and therefore exactly what it's worth. None the less I'll tell you what it is being your now talking about the Custom touch of taillights. A well built Custom is a balancing act. Front and back should have something in common, side profile plays a large part in overall concept. Most customs are a Goddi Execution of Mix-and-no-Match parts all hung together without a vision of the finished project until it's done. Most chopped tops today look like a Turd on a Rock done by numbers instead of profile consideration. One simple change like Taillights seems to dictate doing something to the Front. We all know the Icons of the Custom field and building one today seems to be far and few between. Good lines and balance we know right off when we see them so I guess my message here is to get you to think about the next move once you decide on what taillights to go with. If you tunnel the taillights do you also do the Headlights? If you do than what about that stock Grill? Maybe on this one Stock taillights aren't all that bad be it Sedan ones or Sedan Delivery and leave the Custom ones for your Chopped Delivery project.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. RMONTY

RMONTY

Yes, I have always envisioned tunneling the headlights, and as far as the grill goes, I have been keeping my eyes open for what to do with the grill. The look I am going for is "smooth". I think the large rounded fenders and slopes coming off of the upper portions of the car lend itself to a "smooth" look. I totally agree that something as simple as a a tail light change should wrap all the way around the car in design and changes.

The stock 1952 lights aren't bad. I want something a little more "smooth" and custom than the utilitarian look of the stock Sedan Delivery tail light that was on the original car when I bought it.

[​IMG]

You bring up great things to consider, as always. Thanks for the input!

27. RMONTY

RMONTY

By the way, I REALLY like the hidden hinges on this one....

[​IMG]

28. Loosing the hinges really cleans up the back for sure. That is no small job! To do that with the hinge pivot inside the body makes the first movement of the door sideways just a bit. On your vehicle the door perimeter is tight enough to the door jamb it requires that the vertical edge of the door on the latch side be slanted inboard more than it is to keep the inner edge of the door from making contact coming past the Body. Now, I've gone internet looking but can't find the photos again. I think this may be the Delivery with the hinges on top edge due to the fact there is no drip rail. It swings up like a late model Mini Van. Makes ya go hmmmm don't it?

29. RMONTY

RMONTY

Makes me want to make a trip to Pick and Pull and visit the mini-van section! Hahaha!

30. RMONTY

RMONTY

Hmmmm.....these arent bad!

[​IMG]