Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Pontiac wiring question.

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by casper50, Jul 24, 2020.

1. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

The light sockets that are in my speedo cluster for the left and right turn indicators are single wire bulb/sockets. Looking at the wiring I'm thinking that they should be 2 wire sockets. I do not see how by the diagram that each is separate from the other. Looks to me that if the flasher sends the signal they will both flash. Am I missing something and do I need to get 2 wire sockets? I also don't see how they ground. Looking at the diagram it seems as if they have two hot wires. One to the column and one to the flasher.

2. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

I can't talk for the Poncho, but usually these lights ground through the socket base, so one wire will do it. Indicator tell tales usually connect to the light that is being flashed. Left tell tale to left flasher circuit, etc.
    I'm having difficulty reading your diagram due to size and glare. It's not original, so I'd treat it with a boulder of salt.

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

It should ground at the socket. The left indicator is hooked up to the left front turn signal, and the right to the right so just the one indicator blinks.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the best wiring diagram companies available for us. Laminated and color coded to our original wiring. Saved my butt for years...

5. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

The 55 Manual is the same but in black and white. They both show 2 wire.

6. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

The diagram shows them both connected to the pilot terminal on the flasher can. Looks like wires 9 and 11 are then selected by the traffic signal switch. Is it a standard flasher can?

7. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

OK, I take it back. I've not used 'em before Who are they?

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

Wiring schematics can be overwhelming at times. That is when common sense should override them.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. simplyconnected

simplyconnected

Let's decipher from two power sources;
    1. the key switch feeds the flasher unit and it comes out as (8)
    2. battery feeds the brake stop switch and it comes out as (5).
    The column turn signal switch interrupts brake lamp power when the lever is up or down.

In the RH position, 5&4 (brake lights) are connected and so is 1,2&6 (turn signals).
    In the LH position, 5&6 (brake lights) are connected and so is 1,3&4 (turn signals).

Flasher unit: P= pilot lights, X= Battery, L= Load
    When current is flowing, both indicator lights are connected to wire #7 or 'P'.
    You're right, these bulb sockets are NOT grounded.
    There is NO ground here so where IS ground? Look at the schematic. The RH lamp goes to the LH parking lamp socket. The opposite is true for the LH lamp.

10. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

thank you SC. An understandable and concise explanation.

11. simplyconnected

simplyconnected

You're welcome, Casper50. I don't know what Electrical Engineer at GM dreamed up this fiasco but I would have done it quite differently. This scheme is way more difficult than it needs to be.