Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 250 ANYONE?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gdrummer, Aug 18, 2020.

1. gdrummer

gdrummer

HI,

AFTERMESSIN WITH THE 216 IN MY 51 DELUXE, I'VE DECIDED TO SWITCH THE ENGINE AND UPGRADE TO A 250.

SO I AM SURE THERE ARE PLENTY OF GUYS/GALS THAT CAN GIVE ME A OPINION
    ON THIS AND I'D WELCOME ALL. WHAT I'D ALSO LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A GOOD ONE IN THE TUCSON/PHOENIX AREA.
    THANKS

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  2. GREAT ENGINES.

WHY ARE WE YELLING?

3. Sharps40

Sharps40

I put one (250 chevy l6) in my 65 chevy truck. Oreilly Powertorque. Its an ATK engine number. Solid motor. 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. Run great and made fine power/mileage with a Weber progressive 2 barrel and the stock exhaust and a T5 trans. Really can't beat it for a solid long running and economical performer. Small block chevy crate engine will be cheaper, (and make more power and get about the same mileage with an overdrive) even having to buy the tinware, and i don't think the 216 tin will swap on to a new 250 crate anyway.

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Chevy 250 sixes are easy to work on , more room in engine bay then a V8 and easy to get parts .

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My 100k mile 67 Nova had a 250/3/tree when I bought it in 1983, rebuit the engine and swapped in a Muncie 4 speed, made for a nice combination.

Jlsandov321 likes this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bought a 70 with one with the 3 speed auto for my mom, went over 100 k before sold and it continued on for years. It would be perfect for what you are wanting. U will need side mounts and a trans mount. It will be a pretty tight length fit. Stock radiator will be fine if it’s in good shape. Hp is plenty. A 55-57 rear is almost a bolt in only needing spring perch holes moved forward to center the wheel in the opening. Many have used Camaro/Novas that guys put in 9” Fords.
    Automatic would definitely be the easiest. A 350 th is a bolt on. Front brakes should be included in your swap but no totally necessary. 12 volt upgrade too.

belair likes this.
  7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Fine choice ... they have everything but a personality.

tractorguy likes this.
  8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The later sixes are longer than the early ones; you'll have to move the radiator to the front of the radiator support. I was originally going to use a late six in my 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe, and even had the complete change-over adapter to bolt it up to the original 3 speed transmission. But, I lost interest, gave the car to my nephew, and he wanted to swap in a V-8, so we went that route. I built a 250 six for an OT Nova in about 1976, and it was a little screamer! Chassis Engineering used to have universal engine swap mounts for the later Chevrolet sixes, but since they sold out/quit the business, I don't know if they're still available. Those engines have SEVEN main bearings, so the bottom ends are plenty tough, much more-so than the earlier sixes that had four main bearings. I am Butch/56sedandelivery

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Hnstray and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  9. chopped

chopped

Had one in my 36. Duel webbers, headers, drove it all over with never a hic-up. Can get parts everywhere. TH350 then a 700R4, wasn't worth the effort to change the trans. Loved it.

dirty old man likes this.
  10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I know many think that this is a form of hollering, shouting, or so on. But
    no where can I find info on the net that supports this as a Law, Or Mandate. Only as "Netiquette Guideline" . All I can find is
    that Shout, hollering is a VERBAL action, not a writing action.

So in short, there are several reasons why a person posts messages in all caps.

1: Could be a visual problem, that cannot be corrected, even using larger print

2: may be a physical problem. Like Arthritis, lost of fingers, or limb.

3: Could be a person is not that great with punctuation.

4: Out in the real world, CAPS are used a lot in the corporate world, and
    maybe the person is use to typing that way.

What ever the reason, if the CAPS bother you, just delete the message.

11. belair

belair

jimmy six hit the nail on the head. I had a 250 Mercruiser (boat version of the 250), a th350, and a 57 Chevy rear end in a 48 Aerosedan coupe. Headers and a 4bbl gave it all the personality it needed. You will love it. I second the brake upgrade. I used 70 Chevu pick-up 6 cyl motor mounts, cut to fit, laid them on top of the frame, then welded them in place. I would avoid the integral head/intake version. CL should have them all day long. The 292 is longer, not as easy, not impossible. 230 should be the same, just less cubes. Did it all in the driveway, and I'm just a regular schmo. Get to it.

12. Imo, the 250 inline is a great little engine. I put one in a '63 C10 with a weber 32/34 carb, hei, split exhaust and a T5 transmission. It was fun to drive and economical.
    As mentioned, it's not going to be a simple bolt in for the 216 but can be done. Are you keeping the 3 spd and enclosed drive shaft?

13. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Normally any swap from a 216 to anything except a 235 or 261 in a 51-ish Chevy car will require a trans and rear axle swap.

1stGrumpy and Cosmo50 like this.
  14. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

My dad has a 50 Chevy 2 door. He has a 70's 250 with the auto. It is longer. He had to move the radiator forward a couple inches to fit any type of fan on the back side.
    But it looks nice and drives real good. A lot of Clifford parts on it.

1stGrumpy likes this.
  15. ...I've used plenty of 250 Chevy sixes,...have always loved inline sixes,...have 2 old trucks and one car with inline Chevies on em;...they are diehard engines, very economical and plenty of power to cruz anywhere you"d wanna go...

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A bunch of my customers with lowriders run them. Simple, cheap, easy, smooth.

They are a great cruising engine.

I like the stuff from Walton Fabrication. for installation They make excellent products, and are also really good people.

https://waltonfab.com/

They actually make all of the mounts that you need to do this, if you don't feel like making everything from scratch.

As long as you follow the instructions, their parts fit, with no fuss, or frustration.

17. X-cpe

X-cpe

Not longer, it's taller. Also the right side motor mount and the fuel pump positions are swapped.

High test 63, Hnstray and belair like this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep an eye out for a 1970s Camaro, or Nova. You can take the engine, transmission, and rear axle from that, along with lots of other useful bits.

19. I liked the 230 engine too. They always ran smooth for me.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_9512 (2).JPG I ran a 250 in my 48 truck for years.
    Length is the issue in swapping them into older Chevys either car or truck. you can shorten the shaft on the water pump and run a shorter pulley to get some clearance though. Fan to accessory clearance becomes an issue then though.

The V8 style bellhousing that fits the 194,230,250 and 292 won't bolt directly to the stock 51 standard trans, if you are going open drive that isn't an issue.

Throttle linkage may take some thinking to get around. I swapped pedals and used a cable on my 48 but a lot of guys want to keep the original pedal and linkage.
    Looking at a photo I took of the 68 292 that is going in my 48 they have a bellcrank on the intake to work mechanical linkage to the carb that would be an easy hookup.

Hnstray and Shadow Creek like this.
  21. TOMMY'STOWINGAZ

TOMMY'STOWINGAZ
    from Goodyear

22. TOMMY'STOWINGAZ

TOMMY'STOWINGAZ
    from Goodyear

WOW GOOD POINT.......20YRS IN THE AIR FORCE....WE ALWAYS USE ALL CAPS.....AS A 42672 JET ENGINE TECH.....WE DONT CARE ABOUT GRAMMAR WITHIN REASON.......IS THE JET BROKE OR NOT AND WHAT WE NEED TO FIX IT......WEAK AIRMAN RUN AROUND CALLING OUT GRAMMER ......WHEN THEY SHOULD BE FIXING JETS......JUST SAYING....

mrhp and dirty old man like this.
  23. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Even though this probably isn't all that HAMB friendly I was so impressed I've saved it over the years from another forum. Just a very detailed 250 showing how nice a straight six can look. BE31F035-9AD5-4FBE-B8B9-C7DA14AE0F42_1_105_c.jpeg

Cosmo50, Tim, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  24. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

It's "grammar". Spelling makes me weak too? lol

Blues4U, Just Gary, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  25. Deuces

Deuces

I had one in a '71 Nova... All I did was install a hei distributor and it ran great... Wish I still had it....

26. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran one in a '64 Chevelle back in high school, Clifford parts galore in that motor and it was a fast little car. I looked into using one in my current project (1950 Chevy Fleetline) but, for the cost versus power, I opted to go the SBC route. If you go through with it, make sure yo do a build thread so we can check it out and cheer you on!

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  27. gdrummer

gdrummer

hey ya'll thanks for the info.
    sorry about the SHOUTING thing. i had posted a ad on cl and i always shout there because, well, people don't seem to hear on that site. i had just forgotten to take the caps lock off.

as for the engine, i found a 74 250 for $350 it looks clean and complete. going to see it tomorrow. it is out of the truck so i can't hear it run. any suggestions on what i should be looking for? thanks again!

28. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Check around the front of the block where the head bolts on. They like to crack there if you over torque the head. I have a 250 in my 52 GMC and love it. Dual carters from Langdon and split cast manifolds. Great gas mileage and I pull our camper with it.

29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You can do this swap with the stock drivetrain (3 speed trans and torque tube drive). The 250 will not over match the stock trans and rear end if you don't abuse it.
    The 250 Chev six uses the same manual trans bellhousing as the V8. This bell will bolt up to some pre 55 trannies but not others, there are 2 different bolt patterns on the trans case, the right one is on certain cars and light trucks 1942 - 54 some say they are more common in pickup trucks. The internal parts are the same and will interchange between transmissions.
    So you need a manual trans flywheel, clutch, bellhousing the right transmission case then as others point out, the engine is longer you may have to move the radiator forward of the rad support. There are other details like motor mounts etc.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  30. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I haven chosen a warmed up 250 for my ‘37 Chevy coupe project. I wanted to be (sort of) traditional, keep with a warm six. Some years ago that would have meant a Jimmy 270. But, I want the lighter weight and seven main bearings, etc., of the later engine.

02ACC489-BFDF-4625-8ACA-6F3D41A4FACD.jpeg D4507CB9-13CC-44C0-A0C8-114BC46CC06D.jpeg A61A8B7C-46C9-4777-94EF-DF6C59BA26BB.jpeg

Ray