Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Are you easy ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, Aug 18, 2020.

1. I work alone........been that way since the 60's.......I'm an asshole and a bastard to work with, my standards are un-realistic, (no matter how big or small the project). I've chopped up whole car projects cause' it wasn't what I was trying to get to. I have no regard for dead lines nor consideration for schedule. I'm unpleasant to be near if I am trying to focus on a given task........I have attention disorder to a point where everyday is relearn it all. To sum it up, I've forgotten everything I ever knew, over and over, and I just got used to it, whatever it was we were talking about.

2. indyjps

indyjps

Work alone on my cars typically. Only a few people I can work with productively on cars for any extended time. I trust one of my friends to work on my stuff with or without me there.

Houses/ construction I can work with a lot more people easily. My wife and I work well together on this kind of stuff.

No problem being helper or second on a project thats not MY car.

X-cpe, Chavezk21, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  3. My lost twin!!:)

Stogy likes this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

1) building construction I still would rather do everything I can myself 2) wife comes up with “honey do lists” I am still doing it on my own other than the garden . Still the soil prep , the beds and and the enclosure labor was up to me but it is relaxing to build something from from nothing or remnants.

Stogy likes this.
  5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Pity the “fool” who asks you if you need a hand .:p

Stogy likes this.
  6. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I usually work alone too. The hideout is just that-
    A hideout. I get to work on what I want at my own pace. When buddies come over, I stop working and we just shoot the crap for awhile.
    They leave and I go back to work. Same deal if I pop by a friend's place to check out their progress or new project. When I need a hand for something big, I get help but that is rare. Maureen has helped many times- she has the tiniest fingers! She is in the drivers seat EVERYTIME we bleed brakes (much to her dismay)
    On the other hand, when I am needed for an engine pull or last minute thrash to get a car ready for a show/race, I will be there doing whatever is needed.

Just Gary and Stogy like this.
  7. My grandfather and I work together on most of the cars, but I have grown up in the garage watching him do almost everything himself, only getting a hand when needing to put something large on a car that just needs another body to help out. I prefer working with him or by myself, mainly because thats how I figured it was supposed to be from watching my grandfather growing up.

8. I can enjoy working with others, but they need to be folks that think like me. Safe and dependable are words I use often to describe what I want my end result to be. Working with others that don't have the ability or the want to turn out quality work won't spend any amount of time working with me, not if I can help it anyway.

I have a few people that I have close to me that I will work with and trust they will do a proper job. There are some folks that hang around that when they show up I stop working because their help is going to end up being a problem.

I enjoy working alone and most of the time that's what I do.

Just Gary and Stogy like this.
  9. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I always work alone. I'm known as a lone ranger around my family and friends. If its too heavy ill rig something up to make it easier. I dont mined helping others but I like working alone. If its something I absolutely can't lift and am short on time ill get my teenage nephews to help. Some of us are just wired this way I guess.

OLSKOOL57, Stogy and 41rodderz like this.
  10. Yuppers that is me to a "T"...I don't even have music on in my garage...

MikeC

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I usually get so involved I don’t even turn the radio on.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Deuces

Deuces

Am I easy????..... Well, yeah! At least all the gals I know seem to think so... :):D:);):rolleyes:

Stogy, 427 sleeper and 41rodderz like this.
  13. jimvette59

jimvette59

I work alone because I don't want anybody to see my stupid mistakes.

X-cpe, 49ratfink, WB69 and 5 others like this.
  14. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

My car, my build. That being said, there are 1 or 2 friends that have superior skills that I can always ask for ideas and direction.

Stogy and 427 sleeper like this.
  15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I work alone because I overthink everything. I can however work with my son at his place or mine. He is not the perfectionist(read anal) I am but it is easily worked out by whose project it is. He calls when he’s stumped by something and I feel blessed that I’m asked.

16. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

and there is always that

Stogy, 427 sleeper and Just Gary like this.
  17. JimSibley

JimSibley

My favorite feeling in the world is being fully submerged in a build by myself with no distraction. With that being said, I enjoy working with a few select friends almost as much.

18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That’s me. I over think things as well in building . Not sure if that’s good or bad but it can drive me nuts . “Got her done “ does work well when you are thinking that there are three different ways to build this custom piece and you want to look the coolest and fit in with everything else.

X-cpe and Stogy like this.
  19. "you know when I work alone I prefer to be by myself":p Actually I worked with a good friend many years back. We got along well and worked on many projects for others. I also can work with my cousin tb33anda3rd. We seam to think alike!:D Except for the red rim thing!:p

Stogy and 427 sleeper like this.
  20. Tried working alone but I can’t get along with that dumb bastard

21. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

My wife used to help me in the garage until my oldest son got to be about 10, then he took over. He moved out about 6 months ago, and I find the garage is lonely by myself, and when he comes over to help we still work very well together, and I realize how much I miss his company. Together we get far more done than I do by myself. He's my best car buddy.

I've had a few friends that were into cars over the years, but they came and went, and I never built the solid relationship with them that I have with my son.

Devin

Deuces, Just Gary, 41rodderz and 6 others like this.
  22. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn Dude! Now my eye's are leakin' a little! WTF!

Deuces, nochop and Chavezk21 like this.
  23. I'm a loner for the most part, one thing I learned a long time ago is that you can always count on yourself, be it the simple task of just showing up or the intricate tasks like bending nice and tight form fitting brake lines. With my disabilities getting worse I have to improvise new ways of doing the heavy stuff and sometimes might get things out of shape before I can catch them, but I only have myself to blame.
    I thoroughly enjoy working with my son, when I ask him for a hand, he's young and inexperienced but always does the best he can and I don't mind taking the extra time with him to explain things.
    Other grown adults I just can't understand how they can NOT see how things have to happen, I mean is it so hard to figure out that the trans tail shaft has to dip in, then come up and the car needs to roll forward at the same time as the engine is lowering down onto the mounts....jeez !

24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I like to work with some people. I like to work with my 17 year old son when he will listen to me. Sometimes when it is his project and I tell him what I think and he tells me why it won't work I say " lets do it your way". When his way won't work We do mine and usually it works pretty well.

We all have to learn either by making mistakes or experiencing pain. Both methods will teach you something.
    I still have a great Amigo. We have been best buddies since high school. We work pretty well together although, sometimes we don't get much done. If we have a problem that we can't figure out and call it quits for the evening one of us will call the other one later that night or the next morning with a solution to try.

GOOD TIMES INDEED

427 sleeper, Stogy and Just Gary like this.
  25. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I get a lot more done by myself generally. Way more relaxing that way also. Loved to work with my Dad when he was still with us!! Son and wife have no interest. Do have a friend that when we work together seem to know what the other is thinking and usually get a huge amount accomplished and have a blast. He has since retired and moved away and those days are gone. Gladly help others with their projects when asked. However, seems that when I do they suddenly have something come up and guess who ends up working on their project by myself when I could be working on my own. So, in conclusion, I guess it's mostly me by myself.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    41rodderz and Stogy like this.
  26. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As said, I like to work alone. Only one I allow to help with detail type work, trim install, fenders etc is my wife-thats it.
    I have two friends that I can also work with except on the above items. One is an excellent fabricator and welder and a big help for this type of work, the other is an old lineman with great skills as well. When I am wiring cars I do not want anyone around asking questions or pestering me. Tell them if you want this to work properly then stay away.

Stogy likes this.
  27. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

I prefer my own company. Don't mind help when I absolutely need it though or don't mind helping someone else though if needed. I'm a perfectionist and really plan far ahead. So I can stubborn or set on my ways.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Stogy and 41rodderz like this.
  29. devilleish

devilleish

I have one close friend that I trust with my own cars almost as much as myself, although I normally do all of my own work. I do like to have someone around for conversation, but very rarely ask anyone to give me help unless it's something my arms aren't long enough to do at once. It was like that when I worked on big trucks for a living, too. Just let me work.

Stogy likes this.
  30. old chevy

old chevy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Work by myself when dawg is busy taking nap. It is just therapy to calm down anyway is what I tell my bride. Always a way to get anything done with a little thought.