Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford 226 Flathead Six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ramjet 80, Jul 27, 2020.

1. ramjet 80

ramjet 80

I have had to scrap one of my 226 engines and have many parts left over. I hate to junk this old stuff but I have no use for it. Crankshaft, camshaft, cylinder head , oil pan, and many other small parts. I am in Southern California and would donate these parts to anyone who could use them. E-Mail me at [email protected] Roger

fiftyv8 likes this.
  2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Thank you for offering them up!

3. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

ramjet, are still running a Ford 226? If so, in what car/truck? Do you have much experience with them? Are they good engines? It seems they would be: 90% of the HP of the V8 and equal torque, 12 port design. Were any aftermarket parts available for them? Any comments from anyone? Thanks.

4. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Nice gesture! Which engine? There are two different Ford 226 flatheads, the "G" and "H". I once tried to rebuild a "G" and couldn't locate a lot of parts to complete it and the parts I did locate were priced just below gold.

5. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

don't forget the 254 cubic inch version "M" I believe-externally the same as the 226 and available up to 1953

6. IMG_0148.JPG 2011LSN044.jpg I have a 226 in my avatar and a 254 in a '49 Ford coupe Bonneville car. Speed equipment is available but hard to find and pricey. The 226 runs pretty good. Still tweaking the Bonneville motor...…..ran it in 2018 and 2019, personal issues this year and did not make it...…….maybe next year. Wish I lived closer, I'd take those parts.

Spooky, KiWinUS and 6inarow like this.
  7. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

I am running a 226 H-Series in my 41 Tudor. Nice little engine. I have searched for speed equipment and it is hard to come by. Right now only Reds Headers started to make tube headers for it. I saw a finned aluminum head before on eBay, but it was like $1500. There is a guy on Fordsix.com that has been working on a casting for a dual carb setup. The distributor is the Load-o-matic style. So it is matched to the carburetor. Which means that if you want to run a different carb, you will need to have a special distributor made. So parts are out there, you just got to look and hope you have enough money.
    I still like it. It's different than seeing a V8 flathead or SBC in a fat fendered Ford.
    According to Vanpelts website, they made 95 HP and 180-185 ft/lbs of torque.
    Now my car came with the 221 V8 Flathead. According to wikipedia, that engine for my year made 90 HP and 155 ft/lbs of torque.
    From what I have read, the 6 was faster off the line, but the V8 passed it on top speed.

8. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Thanks guys for the responses and info.

9. Jebo

Jebo

I never could find a intake for mine so I built one. Having a fuel pump issue but it at least idles on both of them. Just put the t5 trans behind it. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Spooky likes this.
  10. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Do you have a good water pump? I have a Ford 8N tractor that's a Funk 6 Conversion

11. Jeremy Z

Jeremy Z

Not sure how old this is but id be interested in any stuff you have left. Jeremy.zohn@gmail

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Great engine. Egge charges a fortune for one of those cam cores.

13. Richard/SIA

Richard/SIA
    from No. Nevada

Old thread I know but it is what came up in a search.
    Frost broke the block in the old G series powered "ACME" forklift.
    Plenty old enough to be HAMB friendly.
    Hard to find a replacement engine or even block.
    Wondering if the bell housing pattern might be the same as some of the OHV engines?
    Would make for a simple update if so.

14. Richard/SIA

Richard/SIA
    from No. Nevada

Ahh, should say "H" series, distributor in the middle.

15. I don't believe any later six will bolt up directly where the flat six was. You may be able to adapt one though.
    I have a complete G engine and several H blocks I'd sell cheap to anyone that could use them(pick up only)

16. Richard/SIA

Richard/SIA
    from No. Nevada

Do not see myself going to MT any time soon. :(
    But I am near Reno if anyone might be coming this way.

RMR&C likes this.