Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Awesome work Brian. You should be so proud. You deserve so much respect for sticking with this game and sharing the journey with us here.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Some very fast cars are showing up. They run three classes a; b ;c eight car fields. I need to qualify to get in the show.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  3. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Is this the first race with this car where you would race side by side, not just a time slip. That looks like it will be a good time. There is a race over by appelton on the same weekend. Good luck.

Tony

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  4. The first race against other fuel altereds. Maybe I can play the spoiler for a few rounds. After all it's just a street car.

5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Were know your a mad scientist but measured and as calculating as any respectable pro. That being said are you feeling any self imposed pressure to run a certain tune or just where you already had going in your current path to optimum. I.E. DragWeek or one off match race? If that makes any sense?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

That is so true. It takes guts to put everything on the web, and risk being ridiculed and dogpiled for the mistakes and setbacks. But Brian throws it all out there, good and bad, for us all to see and learn.

7. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

What % do most of those other guys run?
    How far can you tip the can with your current combination?

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  8. They are paying more for cars running 80 percent or more. So show me the money. That's if I can make it. Turns out the converter wont fit. I have removed all the material I can from the pads and hub. I threw in the towel at 4:15 am. The only option now is cutting up a mid plate and using it as a spacer. A new trans mount will be required.
    The sun came up quick this morning. A guy that helps racers set up their chassis stopped by. He sets up all the fast cars in my area. He watched the videos then made a suggestion. The anti squat on the four link was 50 percent. With the tires getting hammered so much a four link bar adjustment was made. The new setting is 99 percent. The car should drive out now. With the reduced squatting I can tune the shocks more. Every time out we learn more. 20200816_042400.jpg 20200816_042407.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  9. I went 36 hrs straight. It's almost ready to start up. I was so tired this evening I started to get the trailer ready. I will put the shifter and driveshaft in the car after work. Tomorrows 12 he shift will be easy after this weekend. It was tough going for a while but I didnt quit. I hate quitters.

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Brian I honestly don't know where you draw the line between what you what you are trying to do. but i feel a clutch is in your future. Lippy

loudbang likes this.
  11. a clutch would be the normal way to go but this build is anything but normal. do to the street driving the clutch would constantly change. the attention a clutch needs makes it impossible during drag week. i dont have a guy i can dedicate to that. we do drag week with just me and another guy. the other issue is the car itself. on a dragster its easy to get at the clutch. on a door car with seats; dash and a floor its a big headache. it would tie up both of us just to set it up. one guy would have to turn the engine over while the other made adjustments. it would not be fun to climb in the car then have to climb out to turn the engine over. on the drag and drive events the time constraints would make the clutch difficult. it took some doing to get the spacer fit. now that the converter is in the hard part is over. servicing the car should be no different than before. the car is set with 80 percent in the tank with 55 degrees of lead. for a street car thats pretty hot. we will see what happens. either its going to fly or its going to go real bad. after all it is nitro racing. time will tell.

chryslerfan55, j-jock, drdave and 4 others like this.
  12. lippy are you coming this weekend? lots of nitro cars will be there.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  13. Champscotty58

Champscotty58

It's gonna fly.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Haven't been there since 2006. You should drive it in the gate.:D

15. i thought about doing that. it would be funny.

chryslerfan55, j-jock, drdave and 2 others like this.
  16. Go man go! Can’t wait to see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

You could drive in the gate, maybe on nitro even! Then have Mark follow you later with the truck and trailer.

racer-x likes this.
  18. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I’m really hoping I and the wife can drive over. I’m having a minor surgery on Thursday morning on my right leg. Need me a nitro fix man.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I'm fixing to be there, good Lord willing and the creeks don't rise.

loudbang, Gammz, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  20. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I sure would like to come watch but I will be running the afx car at mokan in a match race good luck Brian

21. Do it and get some videos/pictures! I'd love to see the other nitro crew's reactions. Nothing gets you noticed like driving a nitro car through the gate. Sorry I meant "street car"! Hahahaha.....

Don't worry Brian. If you make to the line then you've already won in my book.

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20200817_171125.jpg

I know this isn't the movies but you remind me of Michael McCord portrayed as one who has an Obvious Connection to the Heart and Soul of The Machine that Gets the Checkered Flag...;)

Stogy would be the one on the bike green with envy...:p

All the best on your pushing your Beast for every Single HP it can deliver under the expertise very few possess...

It's truly amazing from this front row seat...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  23. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I agree with Brain on the clutch issue for drag week. In his application, it would need to be a multi-disc adjustable slipper clutch. I ran dragweek in my hemi coupe with a single disc softlock adjustable clutch. Every day before racing, I took off a floor panel to get at the adjustment hole, dial the 6 adjusters, one at a time while my trunk monkey turned the motor over to the 6 positions between each adjustment screw. (I have 6 marks on the damper, sohso knows where to stop to line each adjuster up with the hole) It needed 8 turns per screw between street and race. But your'e not supposed to do more than 2 turns without evening them out. So that was a lot of adjusting. Then, after the days passes down the track, repeat the process for the street setting. The street drive wore the discs enuff to throw off the setting for track, and on the 4th day, I had totally lost track of where the clutch was, and it slipped on my 2 passes, so I had to turn in a slower ET than I should have because their wasn't time to make more passes.
    So, I am putting in a "Hillbilly softlock" which is an arrangement to adjust a soft hit into the clutch, with adjustment sitting in the drivers seat. Brian has too much power for that type of set up.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  24. its going to be close. the hub on the converter is not engaging the pump. so there is no pump pressure resulting in no power to the wheels. a new longer hub has been ordered. they bolt on as compared to my old converter that welded on. it will arive thursday afternoon. if i can make it all fit and it gets all put back together i will leave for iowa thursday night. i see a big thrash in my future. fingers crossed.

25. Come on Brian. We're with you!

26. Just tracked the package. It should arrive by 10:30 am. That helps alot as I also have to deal with some family issues today.

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sure wish I lived closer to lend a hand.

28. Ups arrived on schedule. By 1pm I fired it up minus the lenco. The converter was leaking. A weld had cracked. Pulled it apart for a repair. Put it back together without the shims on the flex plate. Fired it up and no pressure. Unbolted the converter and added the titanium spacer for .125 more pump engagement. Fired it up and it only has 50lbs of pressure. It needs 150. I will call bruno in the morning. If I can figure it out I will still try to make the qualifying round. It's not looking good but I will try.

29. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Good luck in the morning getting it fixed I feel like I’ve been in the same spot for the last month fix one thing and another thing happens you will get it fixed and it will be awesome good luck and keep us posted on how it goes

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Brian, you are like a Timex watch.....................

Stogy likes this.