Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just Another Hemi Powered Model A Coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClutchDumpinDan, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Front mount on bars is a rubber/poly bushing. Yeah, heim joints would be fine on your setup. There’s not enough travel in hot rod suspension to need anything more. Thanks! Looking forward to seeing it done.

AHotRod, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. BE073C04-3800-4B98-BEE3-E8BF5786D4E7.jpeg

The poor chassis sits covered up and shoved off into the corner of the shop. Body is still at the painter. It’s gotten some dents and dings hammered out and been sandblasted.

I’m off to Bonneville Speedweek real soon to work pit crew on the 640 XO/PP Virginia HAMB Special. Taking some time to travel around the West after that. I’ve got a ‘53 Mercury to finish when I get back. Once that’s done, I’ll go pick up the coupe body and paint it myself if not finished.

Just Gary, Dog_Patch, AHotRod and 6 others like this.
  3. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

4. MP&C

MP&C

Hoping to use this tomorrow....

[​IMG]

…...to make a Model A coupe door skin...

Dog_Patch, alanp561, AHotRod and 8 others like this.
  5. I am not familiar with that type of paint gun. Looks very heavy duty.

6. MP&C

MP&C

We did get a slight run.... flow checker I’m told that is.

7. MP&C

MP&C

Scott showed up early yesterday with the two doors for the Model A, and it appears the 90 years or so of carnage has taken it's toll.

[​IMG]

Given that we opted to go ahead and make both door skins to have a more consistent finish on these. Paper patterns were taken to capture the pertinent details, and some oversized blanks were cut out of 18 Gauge cold rolled steel. The Powell hammer made made quick work of adding shape to the skin...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once we had our shape needed, the upper beltline bead was added using some aluminum dies we made for the Lennox nibbler.

[​IMG]

For the lower bead detail, we wished to use the folded flange as a guide in the dies, so the tipping dies in the Lennox were used to fold the lower flange..

[​IMG]

Tipping the flange...

Adding the lower bead detail

the new skin was then test fit before we trimmed and folded the side flanges..

[​IMG]

The side flanges were folded over to 45* along the un-beaded area, then our dies for the Lennox clamped in their respective location by aligning the edge along the fold line and tightening in the bench vise. Then a body hammer folded the bead areas over to 90* and the remainder of the straight bends reinstalled into the tipping wheel and folded to 90*.

Looks like these will make a much better job than trying to sort out the old skins..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Wow, that is awesome ! :cool:

Stogy, loudbang and MP&C like this.

9. :eek::eek::eek: What the hell happened to that door skin with all the heat marks on it?! :confused::confused::confused:

Stogy, D-Russ and loudbang like this.
  10. MP&C

MP&C

We can’t just make new stuff if the old is all pristine, now can we? :p

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  11. A thread from the dead! Headed down to the paint shop tomorrow to pick up the body.

Stogy, Just Gary, Dino 64 and 7 others like this.
  12. Got the body back from the paint shop today with the help of @D-Russ and @Scott_Rod Thanks guys!

Looking forward to getting started on the bodywork and paint. Can’t wait to see this thing on the road!

A6272AA6-00B3-4707-BDCD-DB959737CAE1.jpeg

Dog_Patch, catdad49, AHotRod and 12 others like this.
  13. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

Very nice build so far. Did you every measure the wheelbase? I'm just laying out my frame for an A with a 54' 331 is why I ask.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Thanks! Nope, never measured it. I'd go do it for ya but I have the chassis stuck in deep storage at the moment due to the bodyshop debacle.

Stogy, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

No worries, I'm leaning towards a 106 wb to get room in front of the firewall. Its a AA truck frame so similar side profile to a 32. More room the better but I just don't want the proportions to get outta whack and look all wonky.

Stogy, loudbang and ClutchDumpinDan like this.
  16. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

If this helps I’m building a 31 roadster on an A frame with 103” wheel base and 354 Chrysler Hemi. In order to keep the lower pulley behind the front cross member and have enough room for a fan to clear radiator I chose to flip the firewall. If not the grill shell needs to move forward and things get wonky. I’m also trying to use a stock hood.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, ClutchDumpinDan and Stogy like this.
  17. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

I might flip the fire wall when I get to that point, at most I'll run just a hood top which will need to be custom.

loudbang and SEAAIRE354 like this.
  18. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Dan, sorry to see you’ve hit a bump on the road to finishing your coupe. Looking forward to seeing color on that thing

19. Small setback in the big scheme. Just glad to have it back where it’ll get worked on. Few things in front of it, but looking forward to it!

Currently MIA

20. Alright alright alright! Outside of the body has been re-sandblasted and epoxy primed. Any progress is progress, it’ll get done sooner or later...

8D62CF95-56B8-4747-82A1-9EF1C91BE97A.jpeg

21. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Yay !!!
    Long time coming but worth the wait. So, what color is that exactly ?? Looks great, soon it will all be in one piece. :);)

22. Can’t wait to see it on the road. Gonna be a nice one! Body is going to be same as the frame. Ford lead foot gray.

23. Moving slowly. But bodywork and priming is still going on. Once winter hits there should be a good push.

059D5520-9F18-42A7-83E6-8E0ACF6EE9D5.jpeg

24. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Looks good ! And straight ! Ready for Jalopyrama next spring ?? Go Dan go !! :)

25. MP&C

MP&C

door skins yet?

26. Still waiting for you to come put them on :p

27. Are you going to run the cowl band?

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  28. No plans too. It’s a hot rod, cowl band doesn’t make it go any faster :D

MP&C, Dog_Patch, loudbang and 2 others like this.