Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods studly question concerning sloppy hoes.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by khead47, Aug 20, 2020.

1. khead47

khead47

No..........nothing to do with a bone in ham shim ! Doing the kingpins on my 46/47 Ford. May as well do the wheel bearings, tie rod and drag link ends while I'm at it. The wheel studs appear to have been tack welded some time in the distant past. Is this fix "Traditional " ?????????????????? 20200820_183321 (1).jpeg

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

All the welds look cut.

3. flatford39

flatford39

Yeah somebody put a tack on them to keep them from backing out and I agree they already look like someone took an angle grinder to the spots to release them.

4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

If you run lug nuts you shouldn't have to worry about your studs falling out....

Moriarity likes this.

5. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When putting new studs in an old drum, a lot of the time the metal around the holes are fatigued and the knurling on the studs doesn't catch. The spot welds will keep the studs from spinning in the worn holes. Just a little insurance.

fauj and flatford39 like this.
  6. flatford39

flatford39

Aren't those usually pressed into the hub. Maybe they are aftermarket without the swage so they got tacked in. Lot's of stuff could have happened over the last 74 years.

7. wulf powis

wulf powis

Sometimes the holes would get sloppy elongated from working loose, a fix was to pull the hub and bolt up the wheel and to tack the studs in place. I've seen it a few times to put back on the road especially old fords 30s 40s 50s . not the best fix but it saved money when you didn't have any.

8. khead47

khead47

Wulf - That is what I plan to do. I dunno why they were cut.

9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Both of my cars with old ford drums have studs tacked in. Never have had a problem I wouldn’t worry about it.

Stogy likes this.
  10. khead47

khead47

I would really like to know why the tacks were cut ? Perhaps to mount to a brake lathe when drums were turned ?

11. wulf powis

wulf powis

Sometimes you never know probably made sense at the time or maybe someone was trying to clean them up for sale or so

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened this one...:D...what's in a Title eh!

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used a number of different drum lathes over the years and have never seen one that you would have a problem needing it to be cut down for a drum lathe. Every one I used used adapters that fit against the bearing surfaces when you had hubs. Bare drum, yep you have the piece that goes against the flat inner part and it's mate on the outside.