Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Springfield, MO Auto Swap Meet is back on...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Outtasite, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Outtasite

Outtasite

2. lake_harley

lake_harley

I and a couple friends are talking about going, but if the site map is correct and up to date, it looks like only about 10% of the spaces are reserved. Unless the info is old it would hardly be worth our 4.5 Hr. drive. I'm hoping it has filled up more because I was looking forward to the swap meet until OAAC cancelled it as their meet. It's still a week away, so fingers crossed, but this is the 3rd thread I think I've seen about the fill-in event, but there's hardly any discussion or enthusiasm about it.

Lynn

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  3. Outtasite

Outtasite

The OAAC cancelled on very short notice and the fairgrounds were not able to get the booking site live until this past Monday (8/11). They do not have the access to the car club’s database, so it will be mostly word of mouth promotion. Please help spread the word. It won’t be as large as the OG, but at least it’s something to do and WON’T cancel at the last minute.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

5. Long Roof Larry

Long Roof Larry

LOOKING FOR VENDORS!

The Fairgrounds is excited to announce that the Ozark Empire Fairgrounds will be holding an Automobile Swap Meet August 21-23, 2020 in Springfield, Missouri

This is a new event - to replace the cancelled OAAC Swap Meet held the same weekend. This will be a smaller event than normal, but it is ON!

For all the details on how to secure a vendor spot, visit the web site
    https://www.ozarkempirefair.com/p/events/fairgrounds-swap-meet

Outtasite likes this.
  6. lake_harley

lake_harley

A friend of mine called the fairgrouds office and was told that 250 spots have been sold. By the looks of the map that comes up on the fairgrounds website it doesn't look like anywhere near 250 spots are showing in white which I understand is a booked/sold spot. I'm looking forward to the swap meet but driving 8 to 9 hours round trip isn't worth having only about 80 or so spots occupied.

So does anyone have any facts? Are there ~250 spots sold and the site map is just outdated? Or, did my friend get the "puffed" version from the person he talked with at the fairgrounds?

I'm not wanting to be negative at all. I would just like to have some idea what I might find at Springfield if I leave at 3:30 Friday morning to go for the day.

Lynn

7. Outtasite

Outtasite

Don’t know how many spots have been sold, but a good friend works for the fairgrounds and says they expect several to pay the day of, so numbers on website may not be accurate. With the short notice and time to promote, they do not expect to be as big at the regular swap and are advertising as such. Worst case: road trip, free admission, eat a giant pork tenderloin, drink some cold (root) beer and enjoy a good excuse for getting out of the house.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alanp561 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  8. Long Roof Larry

Long Roof Larry

Lynn
    Not sure who they talked to but we are currently at 310 spots (20x20) reserved (paid for) for the Swap Meet this weekend and 40 cars (paid for) to be in the Car Corral. I have several folks who don't do computers who had no idea how to reserve a spot online but will be showing up Thursday to setup.
    It has always been stated the event we (the Fairgrounds) is putting on will be smaller than the OAAC event. I can't tell you if it is worth your time to come, I can just tell you as of this posting how many paid for/reserved spots we have for this weekends event.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Tman and southpaw-customs like this.
  9. Larry, Thanks for the information and thanks to you and the fairgrounds for putting this on. 320 swap meet spaces is fantastic for something that wasn't going to happen. August is looking better already.

Keith

10. Outtasite

Outtasite

11. lake_harley

lake_harley

Thanks, Larry. Just talked with my road-trip friend last evening about the swap meet. We're planning to head out toward Springfield about 3:30 Friday AM to spend the day. Now....if whatever happened to my right knee yesterday that has me in pain and my knee swollen up would fix itself again .......

Lynn

12. Long Roof Larry

Long Roof Larry

I still have plenty of swap meet spaces available. If you want to be a vendor or put a car in the Car Corral show up tomorrow between 8am and 8pm and we will find you a spot. Going to be great weather this weekend and a good swap meet!

13. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Thanks Larry for providing the updates. I fully understand the fairgrounds need to create income, and am planning to come as a shopper with our normal group of malcontents.

Bump...

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I built an off topic truck to race in Hot Rod Drag Week. That event has been canceled so I intend to have it for sale in the car coral.

15. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

What... John?????? You're going out in public with this virus to sell that off topic truck??;) I hope you have good luck!

16. BenD is there, the pics he put up on FB look like a good swap

17. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

The plan is to exit the truck and run for cover. Then lay low under a tree off to myself. I have not been in a store or a restaurant since February and I would not be going to this if I did not think I could find a safe place. When I original bought my parking place the car coral was in front of the grand stand and I planned to hide out up in the bleachers. I am trying to keep from doing something I might regret later on. I still might back out.

chopped and Tim like this.
  18. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

I hope you sell it and stay safe!

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

did anyone go to the swap? how was it???

20. lake_harley

lake_harley

Much smaller than before, but that was expected. I did find a few things I thought were worth bringing home, but nothing major. No matter the size of the swap meet it was nice to have something to go to for the day and look for "just what I was needing".

Lynn

Moriarity likes this.
  21. Packrat

Packrat

I went and bought a few things, found some good deals. It was much smaller than usual but as said, was nice to get out to a swap meet.

22. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I got a sunburn, so it lasted long enough for that. :D

What is usually a very hard day to get through, took us a leisurely 2 1/2 hours. We bought some random stuff. I bought an OT truck that may have been the deal of the day based on the number of hawks circling with cash as I was closing my deal. I'm happy I went. My wife probably prefers it stayed cancelled!;)

23. Long Roof Larry

Long Roof Larry

Thanks to all those who did come out and enjoy the Swap. Just wanted to share the news that the OAAC renewed their lease of the Fairgrounds for August of 2021 and will be returning with their larger Swap Meet.
    Also, we, the Fairgrounds, will be hosting one in May of 2021. If you are local and want more info you can visit our web site for those details. www.OzarkEmpireFair.com
    Thanks again for the support!

24. 1969goatman

1969goatman
    from Mo

Anyone not going and have spaces for sale this weekend ? thanks looking for spaces outside on pavement if possible