Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carb HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Al, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I changed the gas which was kind of yellow. It still smoked, but not as much because there is still old gas in the float bowls. I had a popping sound like a miss. I checked my plugs. All of them had black soot on them. I cleaned them all up. The popping is stopped. Now the only thing left is setting the idle screws, so It isn't revving so high, and it dies if I put it in gear.

2. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I ran the unlit torch around the carb. Nothing happened.

Petejoe likes this.
  3. 6sally6

6sally6

Do what I said!
    6sally6

4. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

What I want to do is reset the carb back to somewhere I can work with it. I would say that almost all of the old gas is gone. I used a power sucker to take out everything from the tank. Only gas that was left was in the line and the floats. The smoke behind it is almost gone. I just have to set my fast idle screw back down to where it isn't Revving up so high.

5. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Well I did everything I was told. Even spraying Brakleen down the intake. There is very little smoke coming out the back. Now doing fine adjustments on the carb itself. It seems to be running so much better. I may change all of the spark plugs first. Thanks for all of your help. It solved my problem.. Al

6. figure8

figure8

Just went through the same thing. Turned out to be a bad ground.

7. 6sally6

6sally6

WOW!!.........Great. Where is the timing set? initial & total.......
    6sally6

8. MantulaMan

MantulaMan

You have a vaccum gauge so hook it up, wind the idle screws all the way in then back them out one and a half turns each then start the car. If it wont idle back the screws out a half turn at a time until it will. Once its running adjust the mixture screws and blip the throttle a few times and check the vaccum reading, any adjustments made to the screws must be done equally, you are aiming to get the highest possible reading on the vaccum gauge. All that was ever wrong was your carb was set wrong and it was fouling the plugs......

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

9. I use an Auto Meter fuel pressure gauge, not cheap but works well.
    3-5-014.JPG

Deuces likes this.
  10. 31 5w

31 5w

NEVER-EVER put Brake Kleen though a running engine!!!!!!!!! It turns to Mustard gas and can permanently damage your lungs or even kill you! Trust me on this, practiced Pulmonary Medicine for 43 yrs. If you do not believe me, research it.

Black_Sheep and gimpyshotrods like this.
  11. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I was watching a video from Holley. They said in there that if you are using a mechanical pump. They are low pressure, so that you don't need a Pressure Regulator. Haven't done the vacuum Gauge with the mixture screws yet, but I will. Now once that is done. My Wife is going to step on the brake, and put it in gear. Whatvscrew do I adjust now??

12. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

On a Holley vacuum secondary carb, there are only a couple of screws you can easily adjust.

On either side of the front bowl, you’ll find the idle air bleed screws. Adjust as recommended in the earlier post. Turn all the way in, back out about 1 1/2 turns, then adjust at warm idle for best vacuum.

On the throttle linkage, you’ll find the idle speed adjust screw. You can adjust this, in combination with the idle bleed screws.

On the passenger side, you can adjust how long the electric choke engages for by loosening the three screws and rotating the housing.

On the tops of the fuel bowls, you’ll find the adjustments for the float levels. Depending on the carb, there is either a plug you remove from the side of the bowl, or a sight glass. Adjust the float level so the fuel is level with the bottom of the hole. Careful not to spill gas all over the place.

That’s about all you can get to without removing the carb from the intake, or disassembling it.

Whoever told you that an Edlebrock carb can’t be tuned was an idiot. Don’t listen to them. The tuning is different from Holley.

An unknown used Holley carb may need a carb kit to work well. The old needles and power valve tend to be eaten by ethanol found in gas these days.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

No way would I ever put my wife in the car in gear running on the brakes and me turning any screw on any carb!!!!!! LOL. And why anyway? Lippy

14. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Carb was NEW when I bought it. I started it up again with the Vacuum gauge on it. I was at 14 when the choke was wide open. I then turned the two side screws, and got it to 16 from both sides. I was going to block up the back tires, and try it in gear. Then should I still work with the Idle mixture screws?? or that Curb Idle screw??

15. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Also. I took of that screw on the side of the float bowl. I can bump on the fender a little, and gas will just start to come out, so it should be okay. IU did this while the engine was turned off, becausev of the cam the motor moves some..

16. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

There is about 3 1/2 Gallons of gas in it. Should I Stabil it, or suck that out as when I lay it up for the Season??