Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Patina or paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Pandora, Jul 29, 2020.

?
  1. Paint

68.8%
  2. Patina

32.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

2. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

now to fix the wiring some are positive ground some are Negative need some gauges

3. ThreadMaster90

ThreadMaster90

Patina all the way. Unlimited fun with no worries. Paint it and you will always be worried if you park it somewhere. I always like Patina, but the upholstery and under the hood and the chassis to look brand new. I’m including pictures of my 34 ford pickup and my 54 Chevy wagon. 1F84DF43-CCF8-414E-B312-662E9AFDB718.jpeg 02D81CAB-A784-4331-A412-44E912522274.jpeg

4. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

lakester grill My dad had painted in the mid to late 50's early 60's at a cost of $350.00 it was never put on a car after my dads garage Fire it was burned and that when he gave it to me it fits well with the Pinata I think

Attached Files:

GordonC, Thor1 and clunker like this.
  5. I love that grill. Just the way it is. But I also dig that roadster as it is too.

Can you flesh this out a little? Where do you live. Where/how did you get this roadster (Adam401 said he saw it up here in New England). What do you know about it. Maybe some more pics of it. Seems like it was pretty purposefully built to be the way it is, you mentioned replacing body work and painting it, so what are your thoughts there. You must have liked it the way it is enough to have bought it.

(Understand that 90% of the people that posted in this thread are simply reading the title, having an emotional response then adding their post without reading any of it. So that’s why it is such a heated thread. It’s ok though, heated threads are good, proves we aren’t robots)

If I understand correctly; you might be retired. you currently are working on cars outdoors. you got this car from someone else on the board (assuming the builder). you hadn’t seen it in person when you created this thread, so that means it was shipped. you’ve posted family pictures of hot rods from the 50’s, so you’ve been around them and old cars all your life.

I like to internet fight with people as much as the next guy, especially when people get all elitist, (in this case all the people here who insist a car has to look shiny and new), but I’m also interesting in hearing about your car and finding out more about you to understand the details. It would also be cool to see more hot rod pics from the 50’s and get the story behind the grill and the old pics you posted in other threads.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  6. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I'm convinced a lot of people are fooled about what hot rods of the 40's and 50's really looked like just because they see almost all of them in old black and white photos and films. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. This picture is from 1952. Looks like a real patina bomb right? Well the trophy was from the New Mexico Timing Association for the "most beautiful car" in their reliability run. It's painted "a beautiful Chinese Red" according the text of the magazine it was in, it was just dusty. By the way I own it today and I painted it shinny red. DSCN1256 (5).JPG

olscrounger, Baron, 36cab and 4 others like this.
  7. Rust and Patina are very different. Rust is just Cancer. Patina is faded paint , maybe a little light rust or primer showing through where the paint was rubbed off. But rust just rust.

8. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

well like I said the lakester grill was damage in my Dads garage fire and due to it being damage and the car being a well patinaed car then doing the picture in black and white it all just seemed to fit together had it been a shiny Roadster the picture would not have work to me it was just awesome to see the grill on a roadster

Thor1 likes this.
  9. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

clunker and Thor1 like this.
  10. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

Do what you want, it's your car

Jeff Pandora and Thor1 like this.
  11. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

I did get it from Massachusetts and I did get a video walk around although the Video did cut out a lot I did find out there was a lot of wiring Issue and only one fuse and the amp and oil pressure were the only gauge connected ans more rust than I expected all repairable with new panels (that I will not be doing Fake patina on ) so paint is on the way I did not want a perfect car Because I know where I will be driving it (Mojave CA) so some dents or scratches are no big deal I like the stance and since there was no paint my thought was easier to sea any bad rust spots in the end what I want is a safe dependable daily driver that doesn't look to bad and not a garage or trailer Queen now back out to the garage to to work on it

jimgoetz, Thor1 and clunker like this.
  12. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Good for you Jeff that's just the same path I'm sure I'd follow if this was mine. Here's a shot of what I left on mine where the gas tank straps were brazed on and a little of the paint left from 1950 or so. DSCN1305.JPG DSCN1305.JPG

Jeff Pandora and Thor1 like this.
  13. superbowl01

superbowl01

just oilier down and enjoy it and make her shine. everyone would know the once paint was there but time has past from that

redoxide likes this.
  14. bobscogin

bobscogin

I'm a fan of old, weathered and worn paint, but with no rust showing through. I say cars like that have a nice "paintina".

Bob

15. redoxide

redoxide

Either way it wont matter if it shines or if it dont , If its real or if its fake, If you built it , and love it , thats all that really matters ..

here is me shaking down a wee coupe I built for my buddy , call me lazy if you like , its not painted all shiny , but I nailed this little car together in 16 weeks , usually 11 hour days 7 days of the week. Started from scratch and were about to embark on a 3 car, beat up old hot rod trip around the west coast of Scotland, Im not sure nice paint would be a pre cursor to a safe trip.. but If we see a shiny street rod type by the side of the road we will be sure to stop and help .. :) because paint or no paint, fake or real surely were all the same at heart .. even the guy with more cash than good taste , so long as he has a passion :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v9Gbm4xxoO8A611pFOcHwiKd6vq3OPyw/view

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    trikejunkie and j hansen like this.
  16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

P1010058.JPG My 2 cents - don't paint clear over natural patina.
    It's like a woman painting clear nail polish on dirty /scaly feet - it doesn't work.
    And don't try to create patina - guys sanding edges here and there/ clear = nope.

Let Patina be natural.... it's history.

This is Patina / History

P1010079.JPG [/ATTACH] P1010068.JPG

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Elcohaulic and Primered Forever like this.
  17. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

If I could afford it, paint, but, i cant, so its gonna be slightly old worn out paint.

Thor1 and redoxide like this.
  18. There's so much more important things in life, do what makes YOU happy.
    I like real patina and I also like paint jobs shiny, suede or flat, don't matter to me, I'm not one of those anal assholes that will pick other people's cars apart behind their backs.
    Did I mention there's much more important things in life ???

19. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Baron likes this.
  20. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Real patina works well on my 47 COE. COE at Burlington, 2019.jpg

21. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I vote patina.... **clic pic** for sale pics II 001.JPG for sale pics II 004.JPG

22. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One more that would be a shame to paint. Willie Dorsey's beautiful 55 Chevrolet. Willie Dorseys 55 Gasser x.jpeg

chevy57dude, Blues4U, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  23. 6sally6

6sally6

Come-onnnnnn!!! Why are you even asking..........save your money and PAINT IT!
    Its a rusty car that needs serious body work. I believe you're just stalling wanting us to OK your stalling.........
    15 years later.........now THAT's patina!!
    6sally6

24. redoxide

redoxide

alternatively Save your money and dont paint it , Its just an old car built for fun .

trikejunkie, Thor1 and Baumi like this.
  25. pivir123

pivir123

I am lucky to have one of each! 4A186B0D-49B3-4E35-89A6-4990921547F6.jpeg 90FD0998-85FA-491D-819A-1AC05C1B9569.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  26. pivir123

pivir123

First time I uploaded. Got carried away.

27. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lol....You can go back and edit out the extra pics pretty easy. Good looking vehicles.

Thor1 likes this.
  28. redoxide

redoxide

Thats the way to do it :)

29. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

Give us some details on this truck! That is too cool!

Thor1 and Baron like this.