Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help me ID a Ford Flattie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by irishsteve, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Im going to be in Green Bay,Wi next week,and I see on Craigs list that someone has a V8 flathead for sale.Im thinking about buying it,but dont want to buy a earlier 221 cid engine by mistake.There are photos on Craigs list to be seen,but heres what I see.Earlier 24 stud block with half bell housing.Earlier ignition on front of block.Two pulleys on crank with crank handle notch on front.Heads have center hose connections. One head has a big A cast in the center. Water pumps are on block.Have I found a 239 inch engine?? He wants 500 bucks.If it turns over yet im in.If it doesnt is 400 a fair price? Its a pig in a poke for me since I cant pull the heads to check for cracks until its back in Calif. Thanks if you can ID it.

2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

warbird1 and irishsteve like this.
  3. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Turning over doesn't mean much unless you pull the heads and see what the bores look like as well as the valves.

flatford39 likes this.
  4. The cast "A" on the head means that the head is probably an "81A" head which would be pre-war. Those heads were used on both Ford (221 CI) and Mercury (239 CI) engines. You won't know the displacement without pulling a head.

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

And cracks... I wouldn't give 500 unless I could hear it run.

6. Thanks guys.The Vanpelt sales site is really good.Sounds like the odds are good its 221 cid.I may look at it anyway.Flatties dont turn up much in my area of Ca so I keep my eyes open when im in the mid west with a truck handy.Price will have to come down since theres always a good chance its a boat anchor.

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Might have been @squirrel, or someone who thinks like him, said once "if you cant hear the engine run, it is just parts". Pay accordingly.

irishsteve likes this.
  8. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Without the heads off $50 tops.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Bearing burner is correct.

10. alchemy

alchemy

You guys don't buy very many flatheads then, do ya?

I look at it like a cover charge. You are going to pay at least $100 for an unrunning flathead, but if you don't get a full night out of it at least you had a little fun. Maybe the block isn't any good, but you have a huge box of all the misc. small parts that are still worth much more than the admission cost. And if the block does turn out to be uncracked, you just got lucky!

11. Alchemy is right,,,you have to anty up just to be dealt a hand .
    Sometimes it is not for the faint of heart,,,,,but you can win big if your lucky .
    I spent 600 for my engine,,,,,then 200 to ship,,,,but it was all worth it .
    That being said,,,,it had about 20 pics of the engine and had many with the heads removed .
    The bores were beautiful,,,no rust,,,and the head bolts even looked great .
    So I decided to risk it,,,,,,and came out a winner,,,,,block checked good with no cracks .
    It’s all great matter of fact .
    Maybe I paid too much,,,,,but i had to take a chance after seeing the pics .

Tommy

warbird1 likes this.
  12. rusty valley

rusty valley

A on the head should be 1940. 221

13. Thank you.I was hoping someone might recognize something like that.

14. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

And if it is a flathead, a running one might also just be parts.

Desoto291Hemi and Bandit Billy like this.
  15. Your right about that.I think the guy is too high at 500 bucks.If hes had it collecting dust long enough I"ll offer 250.Im really looking for a 239,or a Merc,but with 75 year old engines it may take several to build one.Guy can never have to many parts right?

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True that!

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy

Well, a guy can. If you can't buy your flattie up there, stop here in Iowa and we can fix you up.

irishsteve likes this.