Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Thermostat for 59AB Flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by qmdv, Dec 14, 2019.

1. I read on the Hamb quite a while back that a Robertshaw 330 series thermostat was the hot set up for a 59AB flathead. There was great explanation on how to make it work. Well it is time to put in the stats and I have not been able to locate the article after much searching
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Help

2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I just put together an 8BA with 59AB style Offenhauser heads and used regular 160 degree thermostats, I always drill a 1/4 inch bypass hole in them before I install them. Had to file the inside of the neck a bit for the thermostat to fit and then use an extra hose clamp to hold them in place. I wasn't impressed with the casting on the neck, wasn't round on the inside and was too big for 1 1/2 inch hose and too small for 2 inch. You can see in the picture that the neck isn't round and the thermostat sets off to one side.

Attached Files:

• f8.jpg
      f8.jpg
      File size:
      157 KB
      Views:
    • f6.jpg
      f6.jpg
      File size:
      104.8 KB
      Views:
  3. As you can see in my picture, the thermostat I have will not fit into the neck of the head water outlet. What make and model thermostat do you have.

4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I just bought off the shelf 160 degree thermostats at a local parts store, used them on several flatheads over the years. Had to take a rattail file the the edge of the neck for them to fit, they will drop right in on stock heads. I always drill the holes in them so you have water flow before they open, same principle as the thermostat bypass hose on the small block Ford engines.

5. Hey do you have a part number

6. rusty valley

rusty valley

7. Matt Miller

Matt Miller

Aisin 801 is the gasket. Mr. Gasket makes the thermo. 2.12” diameter.

8. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

I used off the shelf stats with the jiggle pin. Napa on 379-180. No need for extra holes. I don’t care for wires, or extra clamps.
    Get a piece of stainless exhaust tube from Speedway. Tig weld a short piece. T stat will not turn. These fit in the head well. [​IMG]
    A small notch where the jiggle pin is will ensure the tube does not interfere with movement. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Used to get stats from Flathead Jack that worked perfect. No part number, to bad he's out of business.

10. flatjack

flatjack

I use Stant Superstats 45848 in 59A's - 180 deg.

11. Chilly_Dog

Chilly_Dog
    from NC

I've also read really good things about Stant. I've got a pair on order. My t-stat is just wedged between top of header and bottom of the pipe to radiator. Offy manifold on 59A. Here is the part number I got from Stant for the size I was looking for to fit in my connector : "13846 should be the size you need and it will open at 160 and be fully open at 180. This will have the OD of 1.72 inch."

12. I use Subaru T , Napa sells them
    Do a search on HAMB for year