Register now to get rid of these ads!

burnt up early chevy pick up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by street rod lover, Nov 29, 2011.

1. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

i saw this truck at the copart auction in cleveland oh today. what a bummer as it looked in great shape.

Attached Files:

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. budd

budd

i have a 45 GMC, i look at my truck and wonder what would even burn, the seat maybe, the oil in the engine, the covering on the wires, the rest is metal, i guess it must be the paint.

VANDENPLAS and swade41 like this.
  3. slammed 58 chevy

slammed 58 chevy

Do you know what it went for. It looks save able for sure. Just curious how much it got bid up, or if no one was interested and it went cheap.

VANDENPLAS and MO54Frank like this.
  4. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

i believe the truck just got to copart so i still has to go thru auction. its probably online thru the copart auto auction site,columbia station,oh.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. slammed 58 chevy

slammed 58 chevy

Oh ok thought it went through. Hope someone gets it and makes it nice again. Maybe a cool guy will get it and make it a R*t R&d and leave the burnt up paint....Crap I shouldn't have said that out loud. Some ones liable to read this and think thats an awesome idea.

If it was closer to me I would be in to trying to get it. But Im sure by the time its auctioned they will have advertised it up enough that it won't go too cheap.

VANDENPLAS and bobss396 like this.
  6. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

it really does look salvagable. the lower are in great shape. Its just a cab and hood. the rest is history. the burnt smell would kill any rat wanting to rod it.

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

Its been a while but here's another early iron impact. OUCH!!

Attached Files:

8. What ever happened to the truck?

9. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

i not sure that was in 2011 lol

10. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

Another HOT item!

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

Just a few I saw this week.

Attached Files:

12. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

Hate to see these vehicles burnt up.

Attached Files:

13. indyjps

indyjps

57 is interesting, burnt pretty bad to try and fix. Oil it up, rebuild everything else and drive it.

14. Interesting though old thread. Curious if anyone can explain what happens to the metal of a car when it is burned badly. I'm no metallurgy expert, but I do know that metal does fatigue over time, with certain changes taking place at a molecular level. That doesn't even account for a car that has been badly burned. What steps would someone need to take to prepare such a car to receive paint again or can it actually be done successfully? Just curious. Thanks, Don.

OLSKOOL57, i.rant and Hnstray like this.
  15. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Don, try to find the thread about rebuilding Tom Medley's 40 that got burned in his garage fire. I can't remember all of the people involved but a lot of good metal people stepped up to help him out.

16. ..........Will do. Thanks.

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  17. One guy I know used a burned Pinto body to make his NASCAR modified. No matter what they did to it, paint would peel off the burned areas.

18. ..............That's kinda what I suspected.:(

OLSKOOL57 and lothianwilly71 like this.
  19. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of welding going on in construction/restoration of old cars. MIG welding temperatures are about 10x higher than the average gasoline fed fire. How is it that paint sticks to metal in the former case?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Cosmo49 and MO54Frank like this.
  20. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

21. OLSKOOL57 and lothianwilly71 like this.
  22. It seems like there has to be some metallurgical explanation as to fresh paint coming off formerly burned sheet metal. Maybe back in the day doing a quick & dirty scuff and shoot it might not have held up but I wonder about today. Would sanding or blasting the metal and then starting with a quality etch primer not work? I'd be interested to hear the opinions of some of our experienced body & paint guys.

OLSKOOL57 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. Possibly something got onto the surface and wasn't cleaned off good enough. I'd think an etch primer would be a good move to ward off evils on a burned body (car..) part.

Cosmo49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. Thoughts and opinions anyone?:)

25. Kinda depends on the desired results.
    A super rare or special car would be worth the effort, maybe just for prosperity sake and not monetarily
    If you want a perfect show winner, its easier and quicker to build the best example you can find.
    A cruiser or RR, burnt doesn't scare me.
    it would all depend on just how warped the metal is and how much of a time investment I was willing to spend.

26. .........cool

27. oldolds

oldolds

I have fixed a couple burned cars or parts over the years. Sometimes you can't get the paint to stick no matter what you do. Grind, sandblast, etch primer, Nothing works. Other times no problems.
    Sometimes the metal is warped and it can't be worked out. Other times no problems.
    I have been told that a lot depends on what was used to put the fire out. Water or chemical. What really burned. Was the car on fire or did things burn around it. The building can burn down around the car, but the car was never really on fire, ect.
    I have noticed ever hood I fixed with a carb fire, 4 or 5, the paint never stayed on. I tell the guy to get a hood now.

28. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

this is the good side. the lt side is worse.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. Damn! It’s like if a coroner kept a photo scrap book. Kind of sad and depressing. ;):( Some good info in the middle though.

30. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

I can stop posting if its bumming you guy's out.

chryslerfan55 likes this.