Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Well as a Ford guy I think it should say 427 FE! But even though I have never met Randall in person I saw him at meltdown at Byron Il. with his Drag nasty Auston and talking with James at Meltdown when he brought the Drag snake up as a rolling chassis to show off. They where in deep conversation and since I was a spectator and felt like a wanta be instead of a participant because I haven't race anything since 1994 I did not bother them. But Randall is not of small stature and fitting into a Cobra with a small block has it's issue's ! Add a FE and we have Randall in the Trunk!! The main thing is that it is Fastest On Race Day powered and James and Jackson who both have a weight advantage still need to beat him to the end of the TRACK!!!! ;););) lol Oh yeah and Norb {aka Tickety Boo } too! DOUBLE LOL:D:D Larry

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Larry I remember you making a short intro in the staging lanes at the Meltdowns, to bad we didn't get a chance to chat.
    I like the idea of an F.E.

3. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

James been a big fan of you, Jackson , Norb , Randall and old powershifter Scott from Canada for years . Only wish I had the time and where with all to have joined in the fun of the Meltdown drags when we had the chance. I have fun giving all you guys shit but it is my way of being part of the group. Over the years I met you and Jackson and Scott and Norb and even if our conversations where short I still consider you friends and car buddies. And you to Randall cause you had the good sense to build a Ford besides Scott! Hopefully the Cobra does not have the issues the Shaker had lol! Larry

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The Shaker still is just a bunch of shaky parts but I love the crazy thing. :D
    Larry, hope next year the stars will align and we can hook up, bring your helmet I'm sure we will have something to put your happy ass in. :)

5. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Actually James I was talking about Scott's Mustang! The old Salt shaker never disappointed in the performance department and I don't remember you ever rapping your rear end up into the quarter panels ! lol Larry

6. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Larry Scott’s car was called the lakeshore shaker and I will put a pass seat in my mighty mopar so I can show you what a fast car feels like to ride in just remember FE stands for failure every time lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I thought it was fu*king expensive.

8. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Tickety Boo and loudbang like this.
  9. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

If you must put somthing, I like that.....but change the font - maybe a gold backround/shadow - those are like mailbox letters - the rest of the graphix are so well thought out and these look like an afterthought/tacked on

chryslerfan55, Deuced Up! and Thor1 like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Focus Randall focus!

Deuced Up!, Tickety Boo and Thor1 like this.
  11. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Yeah. Quit worrying about the decals and just put that bad boy on the street. At this point it would look good with a dead cat strapped to it. :D

Let's go racing!

12. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Getting serious now and bringing in the road kill?o_O

13. I don't know, if I hadn't been following this build for 3 years and seen the engine build, I'd begin to think this thing was a trailer queen show car with an empty engine block. I hope it makes the track before they outlaw drag racing. :p

14. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I always thought it ment the first the letters in FEAR where FE! I remember that being on the Scarelanes deck lid. But we all know Jeff had his failures with that old girl and it was indeed F--- ing
    expensive. But I still think they are cool! lol Larry

15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We got up early this morning and went to the swap meet in Springfield, MO. I saw this thing!

Resized_20200822_082603.jpeg Resized_20200822_082552.jpeg

You know maybe I went the wrong direction with the Cobra. LMAO!

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sancho, j hansen, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  16. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Sometimes the beer fridge is best left un open!

17. So, did you make any passes today ?

loudbang likes this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

When you open the fridge, you put down the wrench. ;)

19. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In honor of the HAMB Drags. We fired the Cobra today. First time since we got it all back together. I got the eight stack dialed in and we were headed out this evening to find a place to make a few hits.

We had to charge the battery this afternoon before we fired it. Then when I got back in a little later to pull it into the trailer, it was dead again. I pulled it out. It only showed 10 volts. I took it to my neighborhood Autoparts store and they proclaimed it dead. Really dead. They actually gave me another. Pretty good deal for me as it was a 1000 Optima Red Top.

Sancho, Thor1, chryslerfan55 and 9 others like this.
  20. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sancho, Thor1, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well @rr64 what do you think of the horn sound? If you guys remember a while back I mentioned I got a set of what was supposed to be, according to the Lucas Number, a set of new/old stock horns. I have a whole PDF of original part numbers from Shelby for the original Cobras. Just for grins, I typed in the part number for the horns in Google and wham there they were.

They were Lucas and in stock across the pond. They didn't want much for them so I snagged them. Now I have no idea what an orignal Cobra horn set sounded like. But above is what Lucas horn set sounds like...LOL!

22. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

well now that the horn works Jackson will know when to pull over and you will be able to shift up to third gear!;););) lol Larry

Thor1, loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  23. So, did you make any passes today???

Thor1, loudbang, Deuced Up! and 2 others like this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Me so horny!

chryslerfan55 and Deuced Up! like this.
  25. We missed seeing you at the SPAM drags.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay boys and girls, maybe you should sit down for this. Believe it or not, we actually took the Cobra out today and made a few launches! I know!!! Right!!! Now I will warn you, we are not exactly going to blow anyone's skirt up but it is a start.

Our goal this weekend was to simply make a few launches so the very unHAMB like device hidden on the firewall can start learning what the hell I want it to do. LOL

We made about 20 launches this evening starting fairly soft and progressively getting harder. However we did not take the revs beyond about 5 grand.

The surface was less than desirable and of course it was first time we have spun the pie crusts. But we had a good time.

The last several launches all looked about the same. We are getting a really nice rotation, the suspension is working well.

So far the car goes very straight. The last couple of times I short shifted and grabbed 2nd. It pulled hard even with the limited RPM and shutdown space...lol

We confirmed the powerband at 4,000 rpm and up. Below that and it sort of bogged down. All and all a successful outing. It ran well, nothing broke or caught fire, the temperature gauge never went above 195 and everything on the car works. AND if I say so myself, it looks pretty darn good.

27. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My daughter decided since we were out and about with a nice sunset, we really needed to turn this first tuning session into a photoshoot.

I didn't know it until she started posing the car but she brought my drivers suit from the Austin days! Hope you enjoy the photos, what a great evening.

20200823_222657.jpeg

20200823_222808.jpeg

20200823_221416.jpeg

20200823_222004.jpeg

20200823_221105.jpeg

20200823_222414.jpeg

20200823_222234.jpeg

20200823_220426.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Sancho, Nicholas Coe, Thor1 and 14 others like this.
  28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sancho, Thor1, Nostrebor and 10 others like this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

Man you got that instant center and the bars figured out it has very nice weight transfer and the front comes up real quickly. :)

Nicholas Coe, Thor1 and Deuced Up! like this.
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Very cool!
    Really happy for both you and your dad Randall, you guys have worked hard on this car.