Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Putting a 350 in a 40.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Matt Miller, Aug 17, 2020.

1. I raised my radiator up 2 inches and ran the fan off of the water pump like normal, but I had a standard, and I understand a Deluxe hood doesn't have as much clearance to raise up a radiator.

I do recall searching around for a crank mount adapter but couldn't find one, that was 7 years ago.

MIKE STEWART and olscrounger like this.
  2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have the motor sitting in front of a stock firewall. I'm using a Walker Z series radiator with a Cooling Components shrouded fan. I have the air pump and alternator mounted using Bills brackets and all the hoses hidden outside the inner fender panel. 350 turbo trans with an 8 inch rear on a CE spring kit. (sorry weedburner) I also have a P&J power booster brake assembly with the big P&J front brakes. Dropped axle with reversed eye spring, anti roll bars on both ends, tube shocks. I did mine using suggestions from OlScrounger. It runs cool and is comfortable to drive.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    olscrounger, warbird1, RICH B and 2 others like this.
  3. I think the haze is lifting just a bit. Do I remember right that Dale's coupe was actually a chopped 41? Wasn't Kenny Jones a Custom Upholstery guy with his fingers in a lot of little different things. Your right, that was a long time ago.

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Departed and Dan Hay like this.
  5. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

@Pist-n-Broke, I don't remember Dale's coupe being a 41, I'm pretty sure it was a 40. Yes, Kenny was an upholsterer, had a beautiful 40 convert with one of his folding tops on it, and he did dabble in other projects too. He drove that 40 too. We ran back north from the 40 fest in Pismo Beach together one time, and he liked to get with it.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Funny, when the first 265 Chevy's came out in 1955, that was considered the
    hot ticket to put in a 40 Ford.

8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Mr. Miller,
    I think it would be a good idea start a thread on your all flathead problems. You have started several topics: kind of piece mill, a thread on your car, engine set up and all the problems you are having would be a good idea. That way a response is based on the whole picture.

I noticed a few folks gave you some crap on your Offy Head topic. I feel that was unfortunate and uncalled for. We all are here to help, especially someone who is having some trouble.

As far as SBC in a 40 Ford. Other than a flathead it's the best candidate with the exception of maybe the Early Caddy. The Cadillacs can be found in good condition but the Chevy is widely available.

You'd have to have grudge against your own ass to put a Ford overhead valve in '40. I love Ford and most Ford engines but not shoehorned in a pre-1949 Ford car.

Say Three-Fifty, you'll get crap.

Say two-eighty-three, two-sixty-five, three-twenty-seven, Duntov Cam, 30-30, power pack heads generators and '40 Ford, folks will almost will almost have orgasms in their pants..

The SBC has mounts available aftermarket. It has adapters to fit the '40 transmission. Exhaust is simpler than anything besides a flathead. All this stuff has been in near constant production for decades.
    Ford OHV, good luck, especially Y blocks.

The biggest issue may be firewall clearance.

First though, I would try to solve your flathead problems, it may not be as bad as you think.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    42merc, lumpy 63 and Weedburner 40 like this.