Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Not Proud but I did it! Got a dumpster!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 0NE BAD 51 MERC, Aug 18, 2020.

1. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Have been telling myself to do this for years, but since I have been layed off since the first part of July because of this virus crap. I decided after years of putting it off to call in a metal dumpster. Parts that I have hung onto 25 to 30 years. Stuff that I use to sell at swaps and online or local through car show connections has been tossed ! Stuff I use to take to swap meets that would be grabbed up before I got then out of the trailer. The last 8 to 10 years I was lucky if people even stopped looking at their phone long enough to even see what I had. I have a number of enclosed trailers and old cube vans parked behind the Horse barn . The back 40 by 50 of the barn plus the 36 by 42 storage part of my shop plus the attic area of the shop are full of parts and project/parts cars from the 30's through the 60's ! Tri five Chevy . late 30's early 40's Ford , off topic 60's Chevy, Ford and Mopar muscle car stuff. I have in many case's offered it to people for Free! And they shrug their shoulders and say they will think about it! It was hard but somehow I feel relieved that I no longer feel like I need to save it because someone might really need it! Do any of you guys feel the same way?? Larry

2. I just pee'd on myself Larry!! Had to be all the way up in Wisconsin didn't ya lol... I've always been told that one man never knows another man's problems ;) If you're happy then bygod I'm happy for ya! Still a little sad though :p

3. gene-koning

gene-koning

I didn't have near the collection of stuff you have/had, but I started getting rid of stuff a few years ago. When I'm done building the current truck, I'm cleaning house big time. I'm tired of looking at this junk. I want to be able to park 2 cars in my oversized 2 car garage. Gene

loudbang, scotty t and Stogy like this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

not long ago realized that living out in the country maintaining the property and trying to build rides was more than I wanted to do anymore - so, really pushed for over a year trying to sell stuff at swap meets, yard sales, flea markets, online, here, etc - and had to throw some stuff, not all junk, away - priced stuff to sell, even gave some real nice stuff away = much was hard to let go because it was long time part of my life - moved to a nice suburban area - much less yard and garage space - had put a lot in storage that I ended up taking out finally sell for dirt cheap prices - again gave stuff away - paying monthly storage fees adds up quickly - know guys with multiple shops, storage buildings, etc that keep buying more - everyone has gotta do what is best for them

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020

5. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

Shouldn’t you have asked the Hamb first if we needed anything before wasting it all? You could make a few bucks just to sell it cheap or give some away. Probably meet some nice folks from here. Too far for me to come, but there are plenty of members closer. The parts made it this far. Just set a hard timeline so you don’t just have lookey loos.

CN

xpletiv, Peter Nowak, clem and 3 others like this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

I like Tri-5 Chevy, early Ford and muscle car parts, I'm not that far away from you, and I buy in bulk if the price is right. I'd love the opportunity to pick through some of that stuff, I'd happily pay for it. No sheetmetal or heavy iron like engine blocks but I'm always looking for small stuff to resell. I'm not expecting to get everything for free.

loudbang likes this.
  7. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Well Lloyd If it makes you feel better in one of the semi trailers there is a decent 57 front bumper that I could not toss because I thought of you ! lol might be a 57 guy near by that might want it!

loudbang, OLSKOOL57, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

I also have a '51 Merc and am always looking for Merc stuff. I know you had mentioned in my '57 Chevy 2 door conversion thread you thought you might have some leftover 55-57 2 door sedan bits that might be useful for a future conversion, I'm always looking for that stuff, too.

loudbang, OLSKOOL57 and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can understand the difficulty and disappointment in this...maybe give the Hambers a chance in the classified...maybe you did already...

I hate selling stuff...it's a lot of work and of course there is risks involved maybe we're alike that way...I will say I'm interested in Chrome or Stainless Guides Good to VG. as I think they suit 1963 Period better for correct...King Bees would be as also spot on correct...heck it'd be nice to have both to swap out for mood...

So @0NE BAD 51 MERC I hope you make a few Hambers happy by helping you deplete your collected inventory you would like to see used for keeping the dream alive...;)

As one Hamber said perhaps make a 1 day or weekend invitation to have a gathering (masks required)...you are probably vulnerable to the bug like Stogy and sell give 2 for 1 deals...blah blah blah...:confused:...Hambers Talking...:p and enjoy what it brings then load up the dumpster...with real garbage

Location does effect this as well again I hope your dumpster only gets filled with air...;)

Putting up this Thread may generate a surge in interest that you never expected...it's still really work though as like you I have my life collection and have at least felt a thought towards letting go of...Good luck with this difficult time...

10. Guess I'm in the same boat - or trailer - with you......most won't even come close to the sweat and body cuts or tetanus shots it took to just remove the stuff and not to mention the salvage owner's spill on what it's worth.....

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe he did already...but I have made a pitch to Merc, just articulated in a slightly different tone to consider it as a last option...I hope he considers this...;)

12. I understand, as we age we tend to look more at the practical side of things, downsizing, interest changes, not wanting survivors having to deal with it, etc.

Stogy, loudbang and wicarnut like this.
  13. wicarnut

wicarnut

Good for you, You are not alone, I understand, I downsized 10 years ago and need to do it again so my wife won't have to deal with it. This year is/has not been a good time for selling hobby stuff IMO, many people waiting it out.

Stogy, loudbang and 1956 F100 like this.
  14. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

forgive my ignorance but you basically threw away potentially thousands of dollars worth of cars, parts whatever simply because you are frustrated that some folks you have encountered show little to no interest? Is this a statement of some sort just to show them up or do you actually need all the extra space? Not trying to be a butthole but this makes no practical sense.

Kato Kings likes this.
  15. 2935ford

2935ford

I'm there with you my friend. I don't have a very big pile of stuff and most is Model A but in really bad condition (rusted out starters/generators busted manifolds and the like). The parts that are decent I will hang onto to sell cheap or just give away or keep in case I need it. We have a few A's up this way and I help when I can but most of it is just clutter and I have now found a dumpster to put it in!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  16. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I have thrown so much "good" stuff away over the years. You are right, sometimes it's too much to even give the stuff away. Since my divorce I have been trying to finish projects and get rid of the extras. Sure someday I will have wished I hadn't thrown a part away that I need but the room I made has been filled with much more useful things.

17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Pictures ?

Stogy and scotty t like this.
  18. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

When moving I had a 20' dumpster delivered. I filled it with mostly old house stuff but some car parts. When I was done with it I told my car buddies they could put junk in it. They brought over their stuff to get rid of and after looking what I had put in they opened the dumpster up and actually took more stuff than they left!!

clem, TheSteamDoc, R A Wrench and 6 others like this.
  19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had to get rid of a ton, actually 1½ tons, of parts & 'scrap' sheet metal that I couldn't sell, or give away, before re-locating 800-miles away. It wasn't cost effective to take it with me, so the decision was made. It broke my heart and still irks me when I need something in my new shop and remember it had been tossed.

Stogy, loudbang and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  20. I’ve grown tired of storing, moving, tripping over things only to give them away to people that sometimes aren’t even appreciative. When i know someone needs something i have i give or sell it cheaply. Sometime things go in the circular file or scrap pile after i’ve moved them for the umpteenth time. My stash is no where as big as some i’ve seen but i want most of gone in the next year or so.

wraymen, bchctybob, Hemi Joel and 5 others like this.
  21. I can relate.....currently doing the same thing. I have about a 1/2 acre of metal and parts I'm trying to clean up. 17 engines/blocks alone....plus several sheds full of "misc". All valuable only to me it seems....

You get to a point where.....do you own your stuff, or does it own you?

TheSteamDoc, bchctybob, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  22. cshades

cshades
    from wi

dont forget about that set of heads i was still looking for

Stogy, loudbang and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  23. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

For the record I did not throw thousands of dollars worth of cherry parts away. All my good stuff was sold or saved for the cars I am doing. the stuff going into the dumpster is stuff that I have acumulated for more years than I care to remember. fenders and doors that need work but could be better than what some one has to start. I use to do a lot of customizing and I saved roof sections and door tops for chopping, headlight and taillight sections because they might look cool on something some day. But then I would end up selling the headlight or taillight assembly's to someone and have the fender section laying around. Wheels, starters, common engine blocks and heads. I have come across stuff that I put away for "a someday I might use that " that I forgot I even had. I do not throw money away but at 65 I know longer want to spend my time trying to deal with people online or the phone only to have some one show up only to tell me a 57 chevy fender should be in better shape for $50.00 and then offer me 10.00. Besides if I get rid of the junk in them I can get rid of the storage trailers! lol Larry

24. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I hear ya bad Merc. There's nothing more frustrating to me than waiting for no shows or guys throwing prices at you over the phone or the net without even coming to see what your selling in person. A friend of mine a few years back loaded a trailer with the same kind of stuff you got rid of and hauled it out to the local swap meet and told everyone they could take what they wanted for free. What was funny was most people couldn't figure out what he was doing and thought there was some catch to it.

25. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Ok, gotcha, just saw in that op things listed or mentioned that seemed pretty valuable.

26. I’ve tried the free section at the swap meats, people would pick something up and mull over for a while then put it back down, i would tell them to just take it they could throw it away later if it wasn’t what they thought. In the end some guy took some doors and fenders but only if i would help him carry the stuff to his trailer. Never again!

loudbang and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  27. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Ive said it before, folks nowadays want brand new parts. I realize everything isnt repopped but a Ton of stuff is. We are a unique breed that still want to mess with this "old shit" and are getting fewer by the day. Alot of the stuff we hoard is going down in value as the market narrows. For every 100 "Dont scrap that" or "Id take that" here on the Hamb maybe 1 or 2 show up and actually buy enough to make it worth your while. Last swap meet I sold at I couldnt hardly give nice clean rust/dent free sheetmetal away. The guy next to me same deal, fresh set of double humps no one was interested in those either, I think he finally took 40$ just to get rid of them. I totally understand getting a dumpster cleaning up and not having to deal with any excess BS. Glad you made some headway, I know it feels good getting rid things you dont need.

28. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure if I could do it...but maybe I should do it. And if what you did, works for you. Than so be it!!

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I did a major clean up here in January, prior to the shut down of the swap meets. We had a swap meet here in January, and I filled one space so full I had to stand out front or in my buddy's space next door. From opening to 11:00 a.m. it was a frenzy of buying, and much of it before the meet opened! By 11:00 I was sold out, and packed up my chair and food, and went home.
    I just didn't see any reason to keep my storage sheds full of stuff I hadn't used in decades. And since I was reaching the point on my current build where I knew what was needed to finish it, I also knew what I didn't need! My only regret is I've still found numerous parts I discovered later, that should have gone to the swap meet also! So I'll have to deal with selling them elsewhere.

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was looking at my "stuff" or some of it the other day and figuring out what I am going to get rid of in the next year.
    One project car just got sold and I'll build a much simpler car for the flathead.
    The plan right now is that if and when I get my shop built each project will have it's own shelves and storage spot for it's parts and what isn't designated for actual projects is going away either via swap meet, ebay FB market, Craigslist or scrap load. I've got stuff that I honestly haven't even seen for 40 years in some of those sheds so I sure must not need it much.

panhead_pete, lostmind, Stogy and 2 others like this.