Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Metal prices

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodsnwater, Aug 18, 2020.

1. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

I was quoted $90.00 for a 4x10 sheet of cold rolled 18Ga. Is that about right? Seems steep to me.

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ouch! I think metal prices are on the way up. The last time I bought 1.00 OD .030 wall brass tubing for my trashcan condensers, the cost for the 1 1/2" tube for each unit came out to be slightly over a dollar.

woodsnwater likes this.
  3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

That sounds like Tractor Supply price or commercial retail. I bought a little piece for a small patch and your price seems to be on a par for what I bought that little 18"x12" for.

woodsnwater likes this.
  4. Bear40

Bear40
    from Minnesota

5. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I bought a piece of 4'x 4' 18 gauge a couple of weeks ago and it was $50.00 plus tax so that don't sound out of line to me.

woodsnwater likes this.
  6. 73RR

73RR

Retail is up and scrap is waaay down. Lately I have been paying $0.60lb for shorts/rems. Last year it was $0.40
    The recycler just offered me a whopping 2 cents for scrap.

woodsnwater likes this.
  7. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

They bone you harder for anything smaller than standard 4' x 8' or 4' x 10' full sheets, doesn't matter where you go.
    2 pieces 4' x 4' will be 1.5 -1.6 times the cost of a 4' x 8' sheet.

Cut fee, creating a remnant, storage of said remnant, etc.

8. RMONTY

RMONTY

Last 4 x 10 x 18ga CR I bought north of Dallas was around $60 I think. They wanted $20 per cut to cut it for me....:eek:

I cut it as it was coming out of the back of my buddy's full length pickup bed....it hauled that 4 x 10 just fine with the tailgate down!

woodsnwater likes this.
  9. The price of living in paradise 4x8 18 ga = $ 130.00 that was 6 months ago

rod1 and woodsnwater like this.
  10. gene-koning

gene-koning

About 2 months ago, a sheet of 4' x 8' 18G sheet metal cost me $80, a sheet of 4' x 8' 20G was $65 the same day, we bought 2 sheets of each. We picked it up at the warehouse, they wanted $75 just to deliver all 4 sheets, 30 miles! Gene

woodsnwater likes this.
  11. evintho

evintho

4' x 8' 18ga here in Northern California is $88. I thought it'd be cheaper in 'Bama.

woodsnwater and gimpyshotrods like this.
  12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Steel workers gotta make a living too.

woodsnwater likes this.
  13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Maybe it's got something with import tariffs "somebody" likes to impose on his trading treaty buddies...

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, and $100 all in, delivered.

woodsnwater likes this.
  15. They are NOT our buddies....

16. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

I'm waiting on a couple more quotes. I'll let y'all know.

17. I’m interested as well
    Paid 96 for that last sheet of 18 gauge.

woodsnwater likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that shipping costs and the price that the place that you buy from has a lot to do with your price. The cost of the truck to get it to there and they buying power that that place has factor in pretty steep.
    A fab shop that does steel sales as a sideline might not have the same price as a strictly steel yard across town.

Online prices varied a lot with Get Metals being at 72.71 Before shipping and any sales taxes. https://getmetals.com/steel/sheet/1...erm=4576648438920441&utm_content=Shopping Ads

Shipping costs for one or two sheets would be as much as a sheet of metal and maybe more as that stuff doesn't ship well in small quantities in 4x8 sheets.

I've been selling my scrap to the same outfit that I buy steel from one side of the yard being a scrap yard and the building on the other side being the new steel sales building. Scrap prices are low and new steel seems to be high and they don't let you pull stuff out of the pile and buy it by the pound. I did get enough out of what I hauled in the other day to buy a piece of 1-1/2 tubing to build the roll over bar for my trailer with.

When I lived in Texas I sold a lot of scrap to M lipsitz scrap metal in Waco and bought a lot of short metal pieces out of the area they placed a lot of the good scrap from the industrial fab shops in by the pound. You could go across the street and dig though their engine pile and buy engines or engine parts by the pound. My boss would go down there and go through the stuff to get engine parts for his dirt track cars on a regular basis.

woodsnwater likes this.
  19. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

$64 is a good price on a single sheet. 80¢/lb. $90 to $100 for a single sheet would be typical of prices from big players like Ryerson or EMJ as they're not really interested in small sales.

Anything less than a full sheet, or a full length in the case of angle, rounds, tubing, etc is going to have a wide range of prices. All high, and none indicative of actual metal prices in effect at the time.

woodsnwater likes this.
  20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I just paid 53 a sheet for 20 gauge 4x8

woodsnwater likes this.
  21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I know it can be hard to come up with money sometimes, but if you like to build things in your shop it pays to buy more than you are going to use right away. When you ask for a quote, ask for additional quotes for 3 sheets or maybe 5 sheets. When you buy 1 sheet the price is always at its highest. They have to charge a minimum fee for handling and processing the quote and sale. That drives the cost of 1 sheet up. I buy a lot of Offall when I go to the metal store. I try to get enough that its a pain for them to calculate every piece. Sometimes they just lift it all and weigh it. After they get to know me, on a subsequent trip, I'll gather up a bunch of stuff and make them an offer. Often they will take the offer if its for like $300 or so. I learned to combine to get better prices, but if you are buying new uncut stock they will always calculate that cost.....so buy more than one and you will see a pretty good difference in pricing.

woodsnwater likes this.
  22. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We just bought a 4 x 8 piece of 18 gauge a few weeks ago for $60, Omaha Ne

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

woodsnwater likes this.
  23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Every time I order material for my chassis building business it seems like there's a price increase. I used to build pickup boxes 20 years ago using 14 gauge cold roll and had about 700 dollars in them. I'll bet that's doubled since then. I tried to get rid of some scrap to the local yard and they said just dump it but we can't pay you anything.

woodsnwater likes this.
  24. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I just went to a local cafe, is in a old high school, they were giving away florescent lights I needed ... They had 4 pieces of 18 Gage sheet metal shelfs for free ... 20"x36" Total garbage to someone else. I also brought home a large filing cabinet. I do not need it, it is a fake security safe ... very thick and heavy, am guessing 16 gauge.
    Wife is asking, why you bring that crap home?
    I buy my metal, but if offered up for free I am all over it.

BamaMav, woodsnwater and williebill like this.
  25. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well Canada and Mexico both signed CAMUS (Canada, Mexico, and US trade treaty) and "that guy" has imposed tariffs against our Aluminum... so explain that in a HAMB related response.

26. This is no place for political discussions. Lets get back to cars.

27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Good point... however you can't discount political interference in economies. That's all for me, now back to rising cost of sheet Metal!

56don likes this.
  28. cfmvw

cfmvw

I have bought from Onlinemetals.com in the past; they have some decent prices, but they really nuke you on shipping. I ordered three pieces of chromoly tubing, and they sent each piece separately $$$$.

29. Little over $60 around here. I buy from metal depot mostly, but there's a fab shop next door to the firehouse i work in and he gives me a great price on tubing, pipe and angle

30. Vitz in Anna?