Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Are you easy ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, Aug 18, 2020.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I learned a lot from others early on{50s n 60s},but even then did a lot alone too, I keep learning ,an do get joy from helping those that appreciate it.
    The joke from my buddy's is : " # 976-ASK-DANA" an I take it as a high five!
    With my race car,always had fun when asked by fellow racer what he should do for this or that. Give them what they needed. Also get a smile out of human nature,if I told some they needed too do 3 things to fix there racer,often would pick out what ever was the EZ one to do only,none of the others. Than say,I did your idea but it's still not handling ? LOL < now some times that happens with my hot rod buddy's too.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Prefer to build cars by myself for the most part but when assembly of trim fenders etc is being done my wife is my one and only helper. Keep the garage door shut too. She knows 40's very well and has an eye for detail as well.

3. mickeyc

mickeyc

I work alone nearly always. The fellow I rent my shop
    space from and share the building with will come give
    me a hand at any time I need it. He is an absolute craftsmanin his field, which is restorative and duplicate vintage wood work. He also is my harshest critic and lets me know if my quality is not to an acceptable standard! I do believe he may be becoming a gearhead!
    When I wanted to fashion a hammer form to build
    some repair panels he cut them out of South American
    Mahogany and rounded off the edge needed for shape
    Really good stuff. It is good having him and his dad
    next door whether I need help or not.

enloe, Hnstray, Shutter Speed and 2 others like this.
  4. topher5150

topher5150

So far I've been on my own occasionally I'll have the wife "hold the flashlight" As far as car buddies I think most of them don't have the time and energy to work on their own projects let alone dealing with a young whippersnapper like me :D

210superair, Shutter Speed and Stogy like this.
  5. I’m good either way.
    The only issue for me working on stuff is indecision.
    When someone can’t make up their mind is my biggest issue.

bchctybob, Shutter Speed and Stogy like this.
  6. Shawn Wildman

Shawn Wildman

This.

Chavezk21 and Stogy like this.
  7. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

I enjoy the solitude of working by myself. But my favorite situation is to be working with my son. It is fun to work through a challenge and find the solution with him. I am a very lucky guy.

8. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always by myself otherwise it takes way too much explaining.

9. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't say that I don't enjoy working on a project by myself, but when it comes down to it, I enjoy having my Dad there when I'm doing it. An extra pair of eyes, added critique, and a different point of view. Besides, if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be doing this stuff in the first place. :cool:
    THANKS DAD!!! :D

Oh, in response to the title of this thread... Yes, I'm easy, but I'm not cheap... :p:p:p

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My wife’s cousin’s first husband used to be a gear head like me, but I usually ended up doing the work on his stuff. He and I, mostly me, built several muscle cars, Camaros, Novas, Chevelles, etc. He put out all the money, and I mostly built them the way he wanted. Sadly, they divorced and drugs killed him a few years ago. Had a few other friends through the years that worked pretty good with me, but life got in the way for them, and they drifted away.

Anymore, I work mostly alone. Every once in a while I’ll get my Pa in law to help me lift something like a hood, or I have a neighbor that gives me a hand every once in a while. But 98.5% of the time, it’s just me unless I need a holder, then I’ll call the wife out for a minute. I do almost all of my own work, from mechanical to body and paint, but I don’t do transmissions, too many parts!

They used to call somebody like me a Jack of all trades. Not only do I do auto work, I’m a pretty good carpenter and plumber and electrician. It comes from years of being broke and having to do stuff myself because I couldn’t afford to pay someone to do it for me.

X-cpe, bchctybob, rockable and 10 others like this.
  11. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

That is the story of my life.

bymanr, X-cpe, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.
  12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Your all assholes. :D

enloe, Chavezk21, lumpy 63 and 8 others like this.
  13. rtp

rtp

I go to my brothers garage on Saturday to help work on other people's cars . to help him out. I go to my wife's nephews shop to help on what ever he is doing(tractors gocarts golf carts ...)and to have a beer.
    The nephew comes to my place to help with what ever I am doing (also to have a beer and to ask me stuff he needs to know) ( feel real humble he seeks me out to ask) oh well I forgot what this post was about.

Sent from my VS987 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bchctybob, enloe, dana barlow and 2 others like this.
  14. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

When I was younger, I always wanted to have someone to work with me, I enjoyed having someone to talk to even though I am not a big conversationalist. Now that I am older I enjoy working alone, partly because my closest friends have either died or aren't physically capable of helping much anymore.

15. I like doing everything alone (except sex!). I really don't care for being around people and it has intensified as I get older. I am set in my ways and don't like the distraction.
    But I really do enjoy my own company...;)

enloe, rockable, VANDENPLAS and 5 others like this.
  16. gene-koning

gene-koning

When I was younger I could work with others. As I got older and more experienced, working with others always seems like I have to explain everything to them, and then they expect me to do all the work.

I work with my son occasionally. Over the years, we have built a few different rides for him, but he seems to be too busy when I need a hand. Lately, he wants to know how I think he should solve a problem, then does it his own way and wants to know how to fix the mess he just created. He is still OK with me doing stuff for him while he watches, but I'm telling him its my turn to watch him do the work. He has another project he wants me to help him with Thursday, I'm not looking forward to it, really.

I tend to work on my own hot rod, but usually alone. There seems to be an increasing number of things I need others to help me do, but there are only a few guys I trust to work on my stuff.

I think my days of working on cars is nearing an end, it just isn't fun any more, its more like work. I've stumbled across a few younger guys that seek out my help. They are more then eager to learn how to do something, and are perfectly willing to do the work under my supervision. I'm enjoying that a lot. I get to point and grunt, and then do the stuff until its time for me to point and grunt again. Gene

rockable, vtx1800, 56don and 4 others like this.
  17. goldmountain

goldmountain

I do all my work because I'm the only one left. Poor,poor, pitiful me.

enloe, 56don, Shutter Speed and 4 others like this.
  18. Actually when help stops by - it takes me a lot longer to correct the mistakes or broken shit - that would have not have happened - if I was just carrying on my own routine. Don't mind helping others but most have friends or some one else that knows it's all......so I'm back on my shit.... which all wonder how I do - all I do.....

Case in point - new tires on trailer - had it parked behind my Suburban to move to load a car - buddy stops by and parks as close as he can get to the trailer knowing I'm going to load a car. When I go to move it I turn sharper than I planned on the left side to clear his parked shit on the right and clip my tractors brush hog on the corner - which I parked to clear on my left side originally - and swoosh I hear the tire and as I pull around to load where the car is and my buddy says.....boy you got a flat tire there.........I'm on an acre of land....plenty of room.....I thought........

19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I like to work by my self. But there are times when help is needed.
    I don't mind someone watching me work as long as they don't get critical of my work. Input is ok.
    I like to help others work on their stuff when I can because I'm a know it all know nothing and an expert of nothing but my input and criticizing is spot on.
    You might not know what I'm saying but I sure as hell do.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    dana barlow, 41rodderz and Stogy like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ahh...you work alone...:D

21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:)

Shutter Speed, dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I appreciate every response you post Dana , because I always feel I get a gem of mechanical knowledge or history that makes me feel a bit smarter. ;)

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of my two best friends who did work on stuff with quite a bit one has passed away and the other is in a nursing home. Both were more big brothers than buddies to me. I could work with either all day and not say a lot but we got a lot of work done.

Before he got killed in an accident my older son and I worked on a lot of projects together and if he was still alive and close by we would still be working on things together. My younger son usually just takes over the project and does it now as his patience level for a slow moving old dad may be limited. He has developed some serious skills over the past few years though.

When I was teaching auto mechanics I would spend a lot of weekends in the school shop working on my projects and quite often had one or two students out there with me working on their projects when no one else was around to get in the way and we helped each other a lot and all seemed to get a lot done. Some of those guys are still pretty good friends 30 something years later.

24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sorry for your losses but it sounds like you touched a lot of lives and that sounds like a huge plus you have to be happy about.

25. chargin03

chargin03

I always work alone or with somebody.

26. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I work alone 5 days a week, then friends come in on the weekend, to help or work on their own project. I really enjoy teaching guys how to do, what we do, but haven't found many young guys who stick with it. I did have a few, who really did well, but not many. It's more social when the guys are here. Less gets done, but we drink more beer and have more fun! I get WAY more done when I'm alone.

rockable and Stogy like this.
  27. I like to work by myself or with my father.
    He and I have always worked will together, but throw a third person in the mix he and I can't get any work done and argue with each other.
    I think it is because he (my dad) and I are on the same wave length but with a third person we have to stop and explain things or the "new" guy does something we didn't want or need done at that point.

Stogy and Just Gary like this.
  28. But honestly, I’m just a parts ho.

I will fix just about anything or work with just about anyone for trade on old parts, even if I don’t need em. If there is a cool part and ya need a lawn mower welded up or the bumper on your Prius fixed, sheet metal work, chassis set up, tractor work, yard weedeted I’m your Huckleberry.

I guess it’s kinda like an addiction.
    At least I get to keep my teeth.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  29. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My old boss, mentor, and dear friend was always ready to help and was a take charge guy. We would always joke that he would say "I'm just here to help" and 10 minutes later would be running the whole project. That said there was darn near anything he couldn't do. Everyday I see something that he "helped" me do from the wiring on my shop to the install of the 8ba in m y '39 p/u and that's just the very short list. If he was still with us I know my '54 Ranch Wagon would be on the road today. RIP Ron.

Stogy, 41rodderz and Just Gary like this.
  30. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Standard repairs are one thing working with others that know what they are doing but when I get a project that I want a certain look then it’s easier to do it myself then explaining what is going on upstairs.:)

X-cpe and Stogy like this.