Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carb HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Al, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Hi. I have a Holley 600 with vacuum seconds. I started up the engine for the first time this year. It started Idle was real high. Then I got it to go down, but a rough idle, but then it starts to smoke. Smells more like raw gas than oil. Ran fine a couple of years ago. I went from a Eldelbrock 600, and it did the smoking there also. I have a bottle of Bardahl No Smoke. Will this stuff help the problem?? Thanks..

2. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Probably not. If you changed the carb out and the same problem exists, that would tell you that it's something else.
    Sounds like it's running way rich, so if it's not the carb (since it does the same thing with both carbs), I would look into timing or blocked air delivery. Also, I would make sure that your choke is wide open by wiring it open for now.

3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

How old is the gas? Lippy

4. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Plugged exhaust can cause that as well.....a rodent nest in the muffler or some exhaust pipes are double wall and the inner pipe sometimes collapses.....check your vacuum with a gauge and get back to us...

5. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I will wire the choke open. Gas was put in last year with Sta-bil. Do I put the vacuum gauge on the intake??

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did it back fire or cough through the carb when trying to start it after sitting?

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

So...it did NOT run "fine" a couple of years ago ?!?
    Your statement -
    I went from a Eldelbrock 600, and it did the smoking there also

What fuel pump are you using ?
    1. Too high a pressure will raise the floats and act as if the system is too rich.
    2. Too high a static float level...see above.
    3. The fuel too old for "proper" running.
    4. Additives like this are a crutch. NO, do NOT use.
    Fuel system cleaners, yes...AFTER you figure out, and fix the problem.

Mike

flatford39 likes this.
  8. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Yes it did. I started it the first time this year on Sunday. It was fine. I started it today to pull it out of the garage, and it coughed one time then ran. It doesn't start the blues, and that bad smell until after it starts to warm up. Then it holds a nice idle, but that smoke, and more like a gas smell like it is really Rich.. The pump is the pump that came on the engine years ago. The carb may not be set right. I am not sure how to set it.

9. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I did a vacuum check. I get it sitting at 18. Then it starts to lower to around 14, and I have to give it some gas. Then it starts popping. Like small back fires threw the carb.

10. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

If I need a new fuel pump. How will I know what size to get?? The engine is a 350, and there is a cam in it, but I don't know what size. It came with the car when I bought it.

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Check your fuel pressure before changing the pump.
    Holley 600’s require 5-7 lbs of fuel pressure.
    Even aftermarket fuel pumps can be off.
    They should also be checked.
    You may need to install an inline fuel regulator. They are adjustable.

12. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Also. I bought a can of Seafoam. It says on the can that can also go in the oil. Would I pour any in there??, or would that just work like Reslone??

13. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

I will look for that inline Regulator right now..

14. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

any thing out of a can is just that usually a waste of money unless a hieniken
    What Petejoe said

carbking, bobss396 and flatford39 like this.
  15. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Do you know of a good place where I should look for one??

16. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Sorry. I don't drink..

17. 6sally6

6sally6

When you fire it up.....and rev the engine..........does it pick-right-up or does it hesitate/shudder?
    Can you hold it at a fast idle 2000 RPM and does it sound smooth?
    First..I would drain the gas (save it for your lawnmower) and put in a couple gallons of FRESH hi-test fuel.
    Make sure the choke is wired open.
    Get it up to operating temp.
    Spray some Brakleen in the carb while you rev the engine up and keep it from dying out. Spray and rev.....spray and rev......
    Next with the engine idling with one hand (left) working the carb......rev the engine about half throttle and IMEDIATELY...slap the other hand(right) over the top of the carb and choke-it-down...until it ALMOST dies and then remove your hand(right) from the top of the carb and let the engine rev up again and choke it almost down again. (The whole time keep the throttle linkage pulled about half open with your left hand) Do this several times.
    This creates a HUGE vacuum inside the carb. Most of the time.....if there is any trash or "junk" inside the carb...this will suck it loose and clear it out.
    If it still acts up check for vacuum leaks around carb and check your fuel pump AND fuel filter. Pump may be dicked-up.
    6sally6

bobss396 likes this.
  18. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Yet it did it when I had a different carb on it.. If I wire the choke open. It wants to die. If I keep it shut. It will start and run. Still though it wants to die. I have to rev it up. Then wants to keep going up. When I was checking vacuum pressure. It started to pop. I will suck the gas out of it though, and put some clean stuff in it. I'll just suck the old stuff out, and put in maybe 3 gallons of non oxygenated gas in. I hope that helps. Thanks..

19. Do what 6sally6 suggested. I'd be interested in how much crap the tank may have in it. For fuel pumps, I use stock Carters from Summit. Plumb in a fuel pressure gauge too.

20. William.dtA

William.dtA

If your car did it with a different carburetor on it, start to check other things. For example is the timing right, too retarded, is the firing order messed up or something... and check your intake gasket around the perimeter of the intake for blown out pieces, cracks or tears. Is there any gas puddling under the carburetor or around the intake. Could be many things outside of the carb needing a tune up/ different jets.

21. wulf powis

wulf powis

vacuum leak?

clem likes this.
  22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Unlit propane, turn the valve on with engine running and run it along all your carb and intake seams. If you have a leaker it will suck in your propane and and increase the rpm.

23. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

When I first started the engine a number of years ago it had a a 750 Holley on it. It looked pretty burnt up. The engine also had a oil pan on it that was square, and flat. I couldn't put headers on it. It came from a circle track racer. I put the Edelbrock 600 on it, because it is ready to run out of the box. It ran well. I still had so much to do that I couldn't drive it on the street. The next year when I fired it up it still ran good, but towards the end of the Summer it started to stink. I listened to another site on the internet. They said that the Edlebrock 600 wasn't any good. Something about not being able to adjust it because of internal screws. They said go with a Holley 600 with an electric choke. That is what is on there now. After re reading every thing that you guys put on this thread. I would think it is bad gas. Though now if it is bad gas. Should I also replace the fuel pump?? It is mechanical. I may as well put on another mechanical pump. I found a Mr. Gasket fuel pressure regulator that only goes up to 6psi. I am also going to put on another fuel filter. I get the kind I can see threw so if there is crap in the line. I did that vacuum test last night. Never heard if it was fine or not?? I had near a solid 18, but it would drop when the choke started to open. Then it would lower to about 14. The needle wasn't jumping all over the place. I will change those items out this morning, and take out all of the old gas from the tank. If you think I need a new pump I will put that on, and the filter. Then put in no more than 3 gallons of fresh gas. I hope this works..Thanks

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I wouldn’t change your pump as long as its providing proper pressure of at least 7 pounds.
    That filter you picked out is junk. Don’t use it. Go to Napa and ask for Wix filter.
    I believe they are all steel.

25. brake1000

brake1000
    from ID

Sometimes a carb issue turns out to be a ignition issue. Bad coil condenser or points

26. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Okay. I sucked out 6 gallons of gas Gas was yellow. Put in fresh. Firing order is right on the plugs. Filter changed. Now it starts popping threw the carb. Pop,pop,pop. Do I need to turn the Distribuato any??

27. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Pointless HEI.

28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Is this a chevy smallblock?

29. carbking

carbking

Rather than throw money at the problem, why not do some testing?

(1) compression test, IF good compression then
    (2) ignition test verify the timing, verify firing voltages, IF ignition is good then
    (3) since you have now removed the unknown of old gas (the earlier post of someone about the only miracles in a can being Heiniken is pretty much spot-on, although generally, bad gas is hard to start, and runs somewhat better as the engine heats up), you might start looking at the carburetor.

Personally, I think you will find the issue before you get to the carburetor, but that is why you test.

Jon.

30. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Sorry. Little pops are coming out of the exhaust pipe. Yes it is a 350 Chevy engine. Cleaned the plugs. Popping sound is gone. All I have to do now is set the idle screws. Still smokes some, but now that is clearing as well.Thanks for your all of your suggestions, and help..