Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 56 Chevy 210 Hardtop Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smoothy, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Smoothy

Smoothy

Got around to getting the new front runners on today. Turns out that a little silver spray paint on a rag does a pretty good job at covering up the rust on the old Cragars. I'm glad I didn't end up painting them, they look decent enough from about 5ft. I really dig the way they look on the car in terms of their size and how they make the rear tires look even fatter. Pictures don't really do it justice in terms of the change, but I certainly took some for y'all.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Smoothy

Smoothy

3. Smoothy

Smoothy

So yesterday I got around to setting up the fiberglass front end on my car, something I've wanted to have since I was a kid. I got one from Butch/56Sedandelivery a few years ago and spent a lot of time and a lot of money trying to make it work. Being street weight it was really rigid and still didn't match the body lines very well after tons of trying. I think it's still good for a drag car, or with even more work could be used. But I got lucky, really lucky. Right when FB Marketplace released someone listed some 56 Chevy parts under Misc. car parts. The seller was a couple who cleaned out old garages/homes just to take the junk to resell for profit. I noticed a diamond in the rough, a 56 fiberglass front end. I sent them a message asking how much and got back, "$100?" I could have dropped. A friend and I drove up 40 miles and picked it up. It was quite a lot nicer than the first, and about 30 pounds lighter. I set it on the car for first time yesterday and it fit perfectly. Well mostly perfectly. The only issue with this setup was I think it was ran as a lift off setup as it didn't come with the tilting mechanism or bracing. So I have been trying to come up with a tilting setup. I have it made out of tubing and tried bonding it to the glass with 3M 5200 and then laying glass mat with resin over the top of that. Should I have done this another way?

loudbang likes this.
  4. Smoothy

Smoothy

5. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Check out the skull garage guys on youtube. they have a tilt mechanism they use on their cars that looks pretty simple. they have one on all of their cars.

that might be simple and easy.

loudbang and 1934coupe like this.
  6. Smoothy

Smoothy

I've got the mechanism made up now, my only issue is trying to figure out how to bond it to the fiberglass.

loudbang likes this.
  7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I watched the "Suburban" tilt front end clip; good for a laugh anyways. And what's the coffin doing sitting on that heavy roller/frame setup? Tool box? I'm fairly certain Smoothy will come up with something a lot better than what those guys use. Not a lot left to the lower sheet metal on that Suburban. Maybe RUSToleum should sponsor their videos? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. Smoothy

Smoothy

Those guys can really make something out of nothing. I've been watching them off and on since they started on the 57. It's definitely what I'd call entertainment.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Smoothy

Smoothy

Ignore the motorcycle handlebar in the foreground, but we're making progress!
    20200514_175109.jpg 20200514_175057.jpg

10. Butch M

Butch M

I am digging the new front end

Smoothy and loudbang like this.
  11. Smoothy

Smoothy

Hey guy, anyone ever put a 52 Chevy half ton front axle on their Tri-Five? There's one local for a few hundred bucks. Thinking about picking it up. Also looking for some old 15x10 Cragar S/S wheels. Preferably old round spoke style. Anyone got a lead on a pair?

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think you want a 55 second design or later front axle.

Smoothy likes this.
  13. Smoothy

Smoothy

Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a deal over on hamb classifieds. Picked up a 56 Chevy 3100 axle, springs, brakes and most linkage. Any other tips on things I may need to start the swap?

14. Smoothy

Smoothy

15. Smoothy

Smoothy

20200805_155118.jpg

Seems like every time I work on this thing it gets a bit uglier....not necessarily at bad thing however. Here it is with the fiberglass nose and hood scoop fitted. I know it looks a bit like hammered sh!t with the green, red, blue, and primer. But, it's all only temporarily put together for initial mock up. Some of you may not like the scoop, some may. Well, I side with both of you. It's a bit big, it's a bit gaudy, it's a bit cool, but mostly it serves a purpose. Once I get some primer on it might not be so bad to look at.

16. Smoothy

Smoothy

17. Smoothy

Smoothy

Had the 56 out this weekend. I took it to a friend's housewarming party and it was quite the attention grabber with the new flip front end and scoop. It's running great, yet quite a bit rich based on my AFR meter that's attached to the end of my face. However, any of you guys ever get partway through your build and decide you're not completely sure what you've done is what you thought it was all it was supposed to be? I've always envisioned a Big Block tunnel rammed 4 speed car with a flip front, but as reality sets in I realize that's not exactly the best thing I could have gone with. I figured I'd be doing some track stuff with this car but now I realize I enjoy running down the road quite a bit more. This thing could have been a 4bbl, 4 speed, small block, with steel front end and been just as fun. It still could be, but I already have so much money and time invested in the current setup. It's tough building a car with little fabrication ability in a shed with one 110 outlet 50 ft away on an outside pole. But hey, no one said it was easy and I know some of you have probably done more with less. Just wondering if anyone else has had thoughts about changing things up over halfway between their own build.

18. Stay the course. Not a damn reason in the world you can't drive a radical car down the road. What's it hurt? The tunnel ram on mine was a place holder until I pulled together the bucks for a blower. Couldn't be happier. It runs great, could use a little more padding in the seats, but is transportation nonetheless. Radiused wheelwells, straight axle and a mild small block? Nah..
    Possibly make the next car you build a custom.
    Take that car out and beat on it to remind yourself why you like going fast. Those scoops have always looked cool to me.

19. ^^^^^and I can attest, he drives this^^^^:D

20. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love your work '56 are my favorite , found a feature of your car in a Jan 1976 Street Machine. My Nomad also pictured below. Good luck with your build. 117250096_2024677414343044_8622347775369452223_n.jpg 116895813_678789132713805_597293668092402407_n.jpg '56 nomad.jpg

21. Smoothy

Smoothy

You've got a good point. I think I've just been soured because I haven't been able to drive the car nearly as often as I would like. When I had my 54 it was as easy as hopping in and hitting the key and not worrying about where you were heading. It always got me there. During the summer I really just miss having an old car as a daily runabout. But, I think if I keep chugging along on this thing and make some good progress I'll be much happier than I am right now.

chevy57dude likes this.
  22. Smoothy

Smoothy

Yes that's it Dago! It was a great surprise when someone on the board found it for the first time. Digging your nomad, always wish I had one of those too!

Dago 88 likes this.
  23. Smoothy

Smoothy

"Go out and beat on your car," they said. "It will be fun!," they said. Well....it was fun while it lasted. But it sure didn't last long. The driveshaft decided it didn't want to stick around for that party either. Had to go dig it out of a nearby cornfield... 20200818_152046.jpg

chevy57dude likes this.
  24. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well... SHIT!!! That SUCK'S!!! Been there-done it, it's all part of the Experience. (It doesn't make it any easier to accept, though.) Is the tail housing the only thing damaged on the trans or is the main shaft bent too?

25. Smoothy

Smoothy

Oddly enough, through it all I've just been kind of laughing it off. Not really too upset because I know a M20 behind a big block with a bit more torque than stock is asking for it. I think I lucked out and the only thing torn up is the tailhousing case. Gonna probably pull it out today and really see whats up with it. At least disconnecting the driveshaft is one less thing I have to do haha

26. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL!!! Anything to make the job easier!!! :D

enloe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. Smoothy

Smoothy

20200818_190929.jpg 20200818_190951.jpg 20200818_190923.jpg

She just wasnt having it! Can't believe the carnage, but on a second thought I definitely believe it. I've heard the stories...

enloe, lothiandon1940 and 427 sleeper like this.
  28. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Apparently, they're ALL true! W.T.F!!! :eek:
    At least you can save the front bearing retainer and the fill plug!!! o_Oo_Oo_O

In all fairness though, it IS over 50 years old, and can't take a beatin' like it used to! ;)
    It would be fun to see what it looks like on the inside... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  29. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like an offering to the Gods of speed.