Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Ford sedan roof

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Aug 17, 2020.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have a chance to buy a deuce sedan project car, a cherry rust free straight body. Only draw back to me is it's had the roof filled with an early station wagon ribbed roof. Is it me or does that remind one of a glass car? I really like the car and it's got one of my fully loaded chassis under it but the roof bugs me?????????

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. I prefer the original style top's, the slick smooth tops do remind me of glass. HRP

3. cut it out and fix it right ;)

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Cut it out, my thoughts exactly. It still has the top wood in the car so I'm sure it was welded to the edge of the outer lip. It was a really good job as it has virtually no filler. I to am a fan of original open roofs.

5. redo32

redo32

Have you seen the articles using a Bobby Walden insert and covering it with material and attaching with glue and hidden fasteners. Looks slick.

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Just a note from a old guy,,before glass bodys being every were,steel was King back in the 50s n 60s,I help fill a few roofs with wagon an van roof parts,an ribs were nice to use,they help keep it smooth an no oilcan type prob.=that were done that way by a good number of guys.
    80s we started seeing more glass,an some used rib top look< for same thing{stays smooth with out having to add a lot of inside framing.
    So point is,the big give away of a glass body to hot rodders like me ,that built cars in 50s an 60s> is;; Most glass=No drain rails/and fire wall an hood lip thick,door too thick looking,window glass fit weird,running board look funny,fenders too thick. ! Some times even bad shape's {too big,too wide,too high.
    But top ribs not really,except if you going to live in some young guys bubble of new BS ; Wants to look like lazy builder cars, that never got finished n tossed together with little to no engineering.
    Don't know if that helps any,that's my old butt telling it like it was.
    But actually,I'm really OK with glass rods done well too,love that anyone is into old cars that much. Using the big head lights bugs me,even though today they are made to light up,way better then the weak dim light they put out. It bugs me,as in the 50s n 60s we put those poor working over size buckets in the trash can,7in. sealbeams worked way better an looked more hot rod. Some T-buckets did use big brass lights for shock view,but not most rods.

Just as idea,for a stock steel car top look;You could just cover it up with a added on panel same size an shape of stock soft type top.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Hamtown Al and chevyfordman like this.
  7. A few decades ago, everyone I saw was filled with a version of a ribbed station wagon roof. Personal preference all the way. I don't think glass when I see one. I think there's one less wagon somewhere. :)

dana barlow and Hamtown Al like this.
  8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

redo32: I have a Walden roof skin covered with black Mercedes cloth and hidden fasteners on both my deuce 3 window and deuce delivery. I would probably do that again if I buy this body?

cpd682, pprather, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  9. Fogger

Fogger

When I bought my 3W body it had a leaking stock type top insert. The quarters behind the doors and the rear panel above the gas tank were rotted out. I installed a Julianos insert that overlapped the opening. Then the car was wrecked and I decided to chop the top. Drilled out the pop rivets and after the chop welded in a roof section from a Mustang coupe. That was in '99. In hindsight I now would have used an insert covered with material. For me another option is to lay the top material on the filled roof section but I'm hesitant that it won't look right. If the '32 sedan body is rust free I'd sure buy it and use one of Waldens inserts.

10. alchemy

alchemy

I like smooth filled tops, and stock fabric inserts. Either of those would be fine, but not the ribs.

kidcampbell71, Just Gary and The37Kid like this.
  11. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Ribs are for the BBQ.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71 and Just Gary like this.
  12. RockyMtnWay

RockyMtnWay

Mmmm, I like BBQ. :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Nice, looks like some quality work going on there.
    Long before the "big revival" the ribbed roof was just another mod like filling a cowl.
    I think the reason you didn't see more of them was due to the amount of work required.
    In the 80's, before I started collecting parts for my roadster project I was on the cusp of buying a deuce sedan body, the guy decided he wanted to keep it but putting a ribbed roof in was to be one of my first modifications.

14. Hide it with a Juliano's top.

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

RockyMtnWay: Great looking body, how much is it chopped and are the posts leaned or was the top stretched before you filled it. I'm looking at doing it like my last 3.5 front and 3.25 center and 3 rear with the posts leaned back. I'm a 75 year old and this would be my 7th deuce sedan. All my others had soft tops. maybe I'd get used to the ribs as it's a really nice job? We'll see.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  16. RockyMtnWay

RockyMtnWay

Stretched it :cool:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Body shop got the ribbed roof removed with no damage to the body, we're progressing.

Stovebolt, Mat Thrasher and Just Gary like this.