Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects COVID Custom Acquisition -'39 Mercury

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OzMerc39, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Just beautiful! Perfect!

Stogy and OzMerc39 like this.
  2. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

SCORE..............!!!!!!!!

3. foulcan_mick

foulcan_mick
    from Oz

Yeah, that is my Coupe. Haven't been to Cars and Coffee for a while as the flathead is running on 7 cylinders.... and yes, I have lots and lots of headroom. Chopped is much better.

4. CadMad

CadMad

Let me know when you are ready mate. Sharpening up the axe now.

Stogy, OzMerc39 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. foulcan_mick

foulcan_mick
    from Oz

Yeah, I know that it needs to be done.... But I am too scared cos it is in pretty good condition.

On another note, this blue Merc was one of the reasons I found mine in the states and brought it back. I saw it at the Nagambie Rod run a month or 2 before I left and I loved it. Congrats OzMerc, its a gorgeous car.

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and OzMerc39 like this.
  6. I have been thinking about making a much easier switch panel for the headlights, turn signal indicators, horn (as the horn ring does not work) and thermo fan. The way the car was configured when I got it was with toggle switches under the dash spread out from the left-hand side across to the centre, which are really awkward to reach while driving.

My initial thought is to relocate them together into a central position onto the dash. But I don't want to ruin the historic look and feel by drilling holes, but given it's a custom, I am happy to have something more functional but 'custom'.

Without drilling holes in the dash, I want to take the ashtray out and turn it into a switch panel. It is close to the steering wheel and easier to see and reach.

What have others here used to get something that looks and works better ?

Merc Dash.jpg Dash with drivers side ashtray removed.

Merc panel.jpg
    I think it's possible to rewire up to here and have some retro switches running vertically.

Merc light switch.jpg An example of a retro headlight switch I am thinking of using (Top Centre)

Merc example panel.jpg
    I snapped this off the 'net ... Similar look except vertical and maybe without the lights?

Thoughts and pics for ideas welcome.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    kadillackid, Stogy and spinner like this.

7. Cheers mate... I sure do appreciate the work that went into it and Kelly & I plan to enjoy it for a long time.

I just wonder how may good metal fabricators there are here in OZ that will go a good job on a Chop?

Stogy likes this.
  8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could look into the headlight switch and turn signal switch from an old English car such as an MGTD. It's been a long time since I messed with English cars but IIRC the TD turn signal switch had a delay built into into that would cancel after a certain time so you weren't driving around with the signal on if you forgot to cancel it. However I don't know if you want to corrupt such a nice car with electrical parts from "The Prince of Darkness". :cool:

Stogy, Crazy Steve and OzMerc39 like this.
  9. Great lookin custom , you just gotta love those Mercs !

10. CadMad

CadMad

I could chop it. Not for a while though. I’m a fabricator. Restoring several 53 Eldos presently and my Packard and Cadillac are my after hours fun . 81491DCD-BEE8-4EDE-B4A8-C36E4B00AACB.jpeg 36C87D72-86AD-436C-94D3-537349C266CD.jpeg 81491DCD-BEE8-4EDE-B4A8-C36E4B00AACB.jpeg 36C87D72-86AD-436C-94D3-537349C266CD.jpeg 20DAE40C-D5D8-4369-9EA3-4802BA44FD34.jpeg I’m in Brisbane. Don’t know why it doubled up?!?

OzMerc39, kadillackid, 40two and 6 others like this.
  11. Because you're twice as good looking as people think.

12. foulcan_mick

foulcan_mick
    from Oz

I think you will find that your horn ring and headlight switch problem is related to your steering wheel. It seems to be an aftermarket wheel, and in the original Mercury configuration, the headlight switch and horn button is combined in the centre of the steering wheel. It's kind of hard to explain, hard to see on the wiring diagram, and kinda cool.

Getting a stock steering wheel may be difficult and it will depend if your steering column is stock as well or has been changed. I don't know if 39 Ford wheel is the same, I think it is.

It took me 2 months to figure the headlight switch out.... My wiring was butchered and had switches under the dash as well, and I had to ask an old guy with a 39 Ford how he did his headlights. He must have thought I was an idiot and he had to walk me to his car and point to where the headlight switch was until I understood what he was talking about.

OzMerc, I think maybe Daniel Cassar at the Fast Lane Speed Shop (Ballarat area I think) may have chopped yours.... Daniel or Ebony might give you some more info on the car.

Stogy, OzMerc39 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey mate that is really handy knowledge. I had not considered at all that the light switch would be part of the horn ring. Just goes to show how new I am to cars older than 1950s. The car has an HQ steering box and may just have a different column in it. The wheel also is not the standard '39 wheel and ring. This might account for the separate switches for both of these functions. It's worth investigating that a little further and may just contact 'Fast Lane' to see what other info I can get.

At the moment I am committed to the switch panel but perhaps over time, I might be able to get the right wheel and horn ring.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. 392

Beautiful ride. Enjoy

15. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Nothing like driving your dream car....Enjoy!

Stogy likes this.
  16. You have a 49-51 Crestliner accessory wheel (possibly a repro,) a popular custom addition.
    The original column shaft was hollow to allow for horn etc wiring. If the steering box is HQ type it will need connection via a solid shaft, so no wires can come out, hence the situation you are in.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and OzMerc39 like this.
  17. The ashtray is a good place to hide switches, etc. I have installed a temp. gauge in the ashtray spot of my daily driver (FB Holden), and the lid can still be closed and hides everything. I have heard of a remote control push button used in the middle of the steering wheel to operate a small receiver which is wired to the horn.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and OzMerc39 like this.
  18. foulcan_mick

foulcan_mick
    from Oz

Yeah, OzMerc….. I think X38 nailed it.

Your switch plan sounds pretty good, should look good.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Switch panel cardboard mock-ups.
    Getting ready for polished plates to take their place.

Merc Dash mock ups.jpeg The passenger side will be made but not installed unless needed.

Merc Dash.jpeg
    Driver side panel mock-up

Merc light switch.jpg Headlight switch

Merc panel.jpg
    Ash tray cavity

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Good idea. Thought about switches that twist or pull to function instead of those toggles? They look a bit out of place on such a deco dash.

21. CadMad

CadMad

To me the switches)toggles look like pimples on a beautiful bum. I’d find a way hide them all behind a door or flap. Your car is smooth on the outside. Inside should be no different.

cretin, kadillackid, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  22. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

Glad to see a 39' done well. Great car.

23. After a bit of work, I have moved the Merc interstate. A reputable car mover who has moved the Merc for the previous owner. In the new location there will be much more workshop space to spend the time needed to make her reliable.

20210114_201849.jpg

A visit to the local speed shop before travelling interstate.
    FB_IMG_1606476218437.jpg

kadillackid and Stogy like this.
  24. Hey mate... since the last post I have well and truly gone off the toggle switch idea. The ash trays are back in and I am working an alternative. You were right (as other were as well) I just couldn't ruin that great looking dash.

PhilA, kadillackid and Stogy like this.
  25. CadMad

CadMad

Great news. It’s a beautiful car… have you moved to Queensland? Sunshine State when it’s not raining….

OzMerc39 and Stogy like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A look at some postwar Customs or just after in the magazines of that era may yield the look that compliments the grace of this stunner...

That steering doesn't strike me as off by any means...if you can trick the options into it utilizing the horn button proper and having a auto on light feature hidden from the eye that might be an option...before we jump to an OT note on auto features it may be much older than we think as well...

There is overhead and the side windshield pillar as options to...

Have you ever seen the Phantom Corsair Dash, it was pretty loaded maybe there's some ideas there...

PhilA, OzMerc39 and kadillackid like this.
  27. Yes mate, sure have, we are in the land of sunlight and afternoon storms. The Merc has become much more reliable in the past few months as I work through a few fuel and steering/suspension probs. We have managed to get to a few car events recently, which is great.

I'm aiming for a big pre-40s two day reliability event on the Gold Coast in October. Should be a hoot. Hopefully all sunshine with very little rain...

Irish Mike and Stogy like this.
  28. Hey Stogy

I will check out the Corsair dash and see if any ideas jump out at me. For the moment I have parked the switch ideas as I am happy just to have the car up and running.

In the meantime I am definitely gathering ideas on the best way to go with cool retro switches that are in keeping with the interior.

20200523_192244.jpg

PhilA and Stogy like this.