Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 ranchero build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sarahSERENADE, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Feel free to rant here, Sarah. We're here to listen. We've all dealt with the " Craigslist Creeps" who want to tell you what you're doing wrong. Ask him, Do you want to sell the parts or not?!! You did place the ad!:rolleyes:......Always be wary when they offer to "show you mine"!!!!:eek:

2. loudbang

loudbang

Ignore his wants and go with YOUR wants. :)

3. Just found this thread. Great progress! Remember: How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. This applies to our projects too. 20 minutes a day adds up over time! Good luck, I'll be following your progress.

4. catdad49

catdad49

Great to see a young person willing to do the work. It will get there if you persevere and if you don't post often enough one of the hoodlums on here will ask, "Any Updates?!" Lots of support and info, both at home and on here, so I know that you will stay the course. We All Know that life sometimes gets in the way of the hobby (and it is still a hobby), so don't be too hard on yourself. Best Wishes, Carp.

5. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

So I ignored Craigslist guys desires and went along with it just to see what's parts he had. May I say I AM GLAD I DID!!! I already had a rear bumper but it was really rough. I was more than ok to use it, but this guy pulled out a box for a brand spanking new rear bumper! You can literally see my reflection. They normally go for around 600 +tax/shipping.. he sold it to me for $300!!! This dude is just a perfectionist and I understand it to a point. We both have an undying love for the falcons and we quickly became friends. We seriously talked for thee hours and he even GAVE me a fender cover with the word Ranchero written on it fresh in the bag. I WILL be going back to get more parts, just ran out of funds.. couldn't let that one go. That's not all I did today tho and I'm still not done. Currently as we speak I am grinding out between the cab floor and back cab wall so I can spray it with primer and seam seal it. Don't judge my seam seal job, as I know it will be covered and frankly, I just wanted it to do its job. I'm so glad to be working on this again, you guys have no idea! And again, you guys are the best, I love showing my project and having support from you all. It is a cruel world out there, but you guy make it all worth it. Sending positivity! 1597711537893.jpeg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Baumi, AHotRod, tb33anda3rd and 11 others like this.
  6. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Here a pic of the work I've been doing today, I'm filthy and covered in rust, but it's worth it! For some reason it wouldn't upload with the last post IMG_20200817_205302822.jpeg

7. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

That area was rough on mine as well. Glad you're back at it!

8. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Yeah, my whole floor pans were pretty rotted. I was lucky that this area wasn't nearly as bad as the toe boards were, or else I'd be making these as well. I just cleaned them up the best I could and I'll do what I can with them. Oh well!

9. 1low52

1low52

So glad to see you back at it.
    Keep smiling and grinding. You'll gitterdun.
    Picture 175.jpg The HAMB. We're here for you.

10. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

11. .......Jalopy Showdown @ Latimore Valley Fairgrounds about 10 or so years ago. Collection of HAMBers posing for picture.:D......Don.

12. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

That's pretty cool! Hopefully I get to meet some more in my travels. I know a couple of hambers but I'd definitely like to see more in the future.

13. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Once your done with the floors. Get some of this Kilmat stuff. Made a HUGE difference in the heat and noise in the car. The wife was a big help. She had motives on helping tho. Always wanting a cooler quieter ride. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Baumi, tb33anda3rd, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  14. 1low52

1low52

15. She insisted, didn’t she.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. ,..........Denise aka, hotrodladycrzr. Picture 175.jpg

17. ...................Tommy, Rest in Peace, my friend. Picture 175.jpg

18. Sorry, Sarah, for hijacking your build thread. Now back to Sarah's Ranchero.

loudbang, sarahSERENADE and catdad49 like this.
  19. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

NOTHING wrong with that! I actually am throwing in for some with my dad. He needs to do his Corvette.. it's cheaper in larger quantities so why not throw in for it? Currently in the garage. Just sprayed the bare parts of the floors. Taking a break and waiting for them to dry so I can continue on for the day.
    IMG_20200818_180732853.jpeg IMG_20200818_180742518.jpeg

20. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Continued working on this all night. I officially have painted floors! What a head rush tho. The pictures aren't great but it looks fantastic for a floor. No runs, sags, drips, or hangers... YET! I'm calling it a night tonight. Maybe I'll change my mind, but I got where I wanted to be tonight. This will all be covered but I wanted to give it extra protection. Besides, it make it look like I'm actually doing something out here lol

I'd like to move on from the floors tho. Think I'm going to start working on the cab walls. My plan is to sand them to get them scuffed up and probably the same process as the floors. Then after that I'll finish putting seam sealer everywhere I dug it out from and continuing on from there. IMG_20200818_203529487.jpeg IMG_20200818_203542478.jpeg

21. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

I wanted to post a video on here but it won't let me. Basically my son and I were in the garage and we were talking about the ranchero. He says I need to get it done so I can take him to Wildwood for the big car show.. sorry kid, I wish! But the way he said it was awesome. I know it's not car related, that will be later. But I'm curious as to who else here has family that motivates you to do what you all do. Who is it? What did someone say to you to really push you to stay motivated? (Even if they blatantly tell you they aren't helping )

22. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe you need to post the video on U Tube and then post the link here but I'm sure others that know exactly how its done will chime in.

23. catdad49

catdad49

Sarah, two good questions. Post them on the main board and you should get plenty of responses. Step by step, the Ranchero will get done!

loudbang and sarahSERENADE like this.
  24. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Today was a good day! Took out the headliner. Had to be extremely careful not to rip it in two pieces. In some of the previous pictures you can see it was split in the middle and pretty much the entire headliner.. well I got it out thankfully in a single piece. What a beautiful sight to see it outta there!!! I did some other things today but they were pretty boring like sanding and re seam sealing the front end. I'm putting more than the factory did because I'm starting to notice that spots that were starting to form in spots that really should have had extra coverage but didn't. I am VERY happy with the progress I'm making. At the time it seems like what I'm doing is so miniscule, but in reality, it isn't. I am SO happy the inside of the cab is almost complete!! I'm literally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and it is BEAUTIFUL! View attachment 4791709 IMG_20200819_203807341.jpeg

25. dartracer

dartracer

Doing some grate work Sarah. Keep at it, will be done in no time.

loudbang and sarahSERENADE like this.
  26. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Got the insulation out as well as the headliner bows. They were a little tricky for me, but I figured the out. The insulation didn't take anything at all go get out, it basically fell out on its own. Looking around and it looks like my next step would be removing the windows. The reason I didn't remove the windows first is I want to buy the gaskets for them BEFORE I take them out. The headliner was already ripped to the point that it didn't matter how it came out because it was going to regardless of help from me . Anyway, I cut the headliner based off of the old one but I left a LOT of extra just so I can fit it to the car. It's a lot harder to add to it... I have plenty extra in case that doesn't work out either. Let's see how this goes! Lol

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. loudbang

loudbang

One IMPORTANT thing to do if you haven't done it yet is the bows that hold up the headliner in most cars ARE NOT ALL THE SAME THEY NEED TO GO BACK IN THEIR ORIGINAL POSITIONS. :)