Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WHO MAKES THE BEST WATER PUMPS?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Talking with a few club members recently we discussed Ford & Chevy water pumps, sbf,sbc and flathead water pumps and the consensus was they don't seem to last as long as they have in the past.

A couple of the members think the hot rods sit for extended periods of time and that may be the reason they start to leak or make noise.

I have a zips riser on my '32 sedan and the water pump they recommend is a 6 cylinder Chevy water pump, I could have gone to O'rileys or NAPA but I purchased a water pump from the local Chevy dealer and I haven't had a problem with mine in 33 years (Now that I said that it will probably start giving me a problem the next time I drive the car).

One of the members said he rebuilt the engine in his Chevy 4 years ago and his water pump is making noise.

I know that our recently departed flathead guru in the club praised the new flathead water pumps on the market, he said they were more expensive but were worth the money.

I'm starting to believe most of the water pumps that are available from the chain auto parts must be sent overseas to be rebuilt with substandard parts. HRP

e1956v, 3W JOHN and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  2. Or if you buy the “New” water pump from the chain store, it’s made in China with Chineseum metal. They also charge a core on a NEW water pump. WTF???

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Gman0046

Gman0046

4. Yes, that's because you bought it 33 years ago:rolleyes:

I am in the market for a pump right now. SBF.
    The only one I've ever had screw up on one of these engines in 40+ years of using them was an Edelbrock. I thought at the time I would do the right thing. And that was just over 20 years ago. It lasted about 10 years. The basic parts store replacement works and cools just as well...it's been going 11 years...so far.:eek:

Am now leaning towards Gates for another engine. Hard to know, they are all made you know where.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020

5. FityFive

FityFive

I am using a Flow Cooler Pump and am very satisfied.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Stewart
    But I don't think you'll find them at O'Reallys.

7. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

Speedway sells Stewart

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and jimmy six like this.
  8. I have been having OEM pumps rebuilt by Arthur Gould rebuilders.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and OzMerc39 like this.
  9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On my 8ba flathead the choice was clear, Skip Haney for the rebuild of my OCM Merc pumps that aren't available as a repop. As far as the 302 going in my Ranch Wagon I haven't gotten to that point in the build. My local independent parts store has always treated my right so I might go with what they have since I know that if there is an issue with anything I buy they will make it right.

10. fordpatina

fordpatina

I SEND MY V12 ZEPHYR PUMPS TO SKIP HANEY IN FLORIDA
    THE BEST

11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Is this a recent thing? or perhaps an old thing revived? I really like the idea of rebuilding things not originally intended to be rebuildable.

12. http://arthurgouldrebuilders.com
    they advertise they have been doing it over 25 years. I know the first time I used them was atlas 20 years ago.
    normally if I mail it to them on a Monday morning I have it back by the end of the week.

nunattax, 3W JOHN, ct1932ford and 2 others like this.
  13. wicarnut

wicarnut

Stewart water pumps, thermostats for me and no problems for years. Back in the day I used aluminum water pumps on SBS and BBC race engines, think they were also Stewart brand. Today with all the China or other offshore products we buy, it's a crap shoot for sure, I always try to purchase a name brand I know and most times it will be marked/tagged made in China Or somewhere else offshore, Quality control is sketchy BUT, IT Is What It IS

14. On SBC I use Airtex new. My Cameo 265 got 20 years on the first one.The second one is 5 years old. I dont expect more than 10-15 years.At one time US made,but I havent read the box on current production.

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Sent my 59a flathead pumps to Skip Haney in Fla years ago. High volume and velocity impellers. I really believe they are keeping my new bored .120 over flathead cool and behaving well.
    Also bought a set of 8ba new aftermarket pumps 15 years ago.
    I’ve never had any issues with them.

16. badvolvo

badvolvo

I needed aluminum wp for a BBC. Ordered a Weiand, says made in China on the back plate. The back plate would not stop leaking, 3 different attempts, poor design. I cried to Weiand, they didn't care.
    Bought an expensive Edelbrock, pricy but made in America. You can see the quality difference in more ways than one. 1) twice as thick back plate with countersunk bolts, 2) nice machining, 3) almost 1/2 the weight. No more leaks!

17. On my 302 in our '54 Ford Ranch Wagon I went with a Ford Performance maximum flow water pump.HRP

18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. Good to know.

19. RmK57

RmK57

I bought a rebuild kit from Dead Nuts On for my hard to find "short" 429-460 Ford pump. I think it was around $45.00 for seals, shaft, bearings.

20. For one of my ot GM cars, I bought a new (not rebuilt) AC Delco water pump (through Rock Auto). When it arrived, box said made in China...so much for that.

21. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

My flowkooler is fine, took quite a long time to seat the seal. Got worried about it and tried contacting them with zero response. It literally leaked the first 20 hours of run time.. Based on that I would not buy one again, though its been fine since.

22. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Thank you guys for the information, I will be replacing the water pump for the second time in the last 4 years, I won't be buying and more water pump from discount auto stores.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. 73RR

73RR

I have been doing the EarlyHemi pumps for many years and I believe that they were designed to be rebuilt.

3W JOHN, Ned Ludd and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

On my sbc I have been using rock auto and trying to buy ac/delco brand. New not rebuilt. There's not much price difference. Last month I got plugs, wires, fuel pump and water pump.

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

John, I have two experiences to tie in with your statement, both, many years ago so I can say this is not a recent phenomenon.
    When I was in high school, about 1970, I had a summer job on the water pump assembly line of a local rebuilder, they also rebuilt clutch pressure plates and other items which escape me at the moment.
    I actually was hired when they sent their WATER PUMP TEST STATION to Fresno Ca. to be rebuilt, guess what, we rebuilt water pumps for a month WITHOUT TESTING THEM.
    Sorry to yell, but you should get my point.
    The next experience was about a year later, went to NAPA for a water pump, ($15.00 IIRC). This was for the 283 in my 57 BelAir, broke kid (me) could only afford the cheapest rebuilt water pump.
    Installed the pump and started the engine and went to check for leaks and was shot in the face with a fine stream of water, stood to the side and saw it coming right out of the pump casting.
    Decided to bum another $15 bucks from my mom and got the premium rebult pump.

26. Wrench97

Wrench97

New replacements are the recent thing, years ago all you got were rebuilt pumps.
    As a kid I remember my grandpop rebuilding the tractor water pumps in the barn "workshop".

27. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Anyone rebuild their own?

28. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I was going to rebuild one of my flatty pumps, but the kit was thirty bucks and a new pump was seventy or something like that from speedway. Speedway pump doing a great job so far... I kept the old one and will probably rebuild it this winter when I'm bored and need a reason to wrench in the garage and drink whiskey...

29. Edelbrock, even fluid distribution, HD bearing, and American made.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  30. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I bit the bullet and got a Elderbrock water pump.

badvolvo and HOTRODPRIMER like this.