Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Nailhead in a ‘60 Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J Man, Aug 17, 2020.

1. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I am getting a ‘60 Biscayne and would like to put a nailhead in it of the 401/425 variety, has anyone done this before? This is a follow up question to my last one where it was determined that the Riv had a x frame so I would think it will fit in the Chevy x frame as well. Being that they also had 348/409 motors in them as well I would think they can handle the power. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Hnstray likes this.
  2. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Why not, I new a guy who put an 8BA flathead ford in a 60 Chev sedan many years ago.
    Should be plenty of room.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Thoughts? i think you should edit your profile page birthday date...:D

Otherwise, carry on with your plan. Sounds reasonable to me. best wishes. ;)

Ray

4. belair

belair

What trans?

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The Buick X frame is nothing like a Chevy X frame.

6. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

It will not allow me to change it. Before I took a break from messing with cars I use to make it look like I was turning 1 every year.

7. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I would like to find one with the SP400 but I do know of a consonant that makes adapters for others.

8. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

What are the differences that would make it potentially not fit or work?

9. I can't help with fitment but I love the idea. I had a 425 with a sp400, I wanted to put it in a 57 chevy but the stars never aligned.

J Man likes this.
  10. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I put a 364 in a 57 Chevy but hooking it up to my 3 speed was expensive even though the engine was only $50 but it looked cool in there and was a lot faster than the 283.

J Man and scotty t like this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A tape measure will be your best friend to answer that question. Given the Chevy’s X frame configuration, transmission length will be the critical factor, at least in my opinion.

edit: unless, of course, you are willing and able to do a LOT of frame alteration.

Ray

J Man and saltflats like this.
  12. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've never done a Nailhead in a 60 Chevy and have never seen it done but I sure do like the idea of it. 60 Chevy's were available with W motors and I wouldn't think a 401/425 would be that much of a problem but not sure about exhaust manifolds or steering interference. Keep us posted if your going to perform the swap. I'd like to see it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the X frame handling the power. Lots of Chevies and some 60's Pontiacs also have X frames along with plenty of power. Chevy rear ends were always the first thing to go long before the X frame.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    J Man likes this.
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Gman0046 ....at least in my case, it is NOT the strength of the X frame that is the issue, rather the question is, in my mind, whether or not there is sufficient room for the ST400 transmission. There may very well be, I am just suggesting that is the more critical issue if the Buick automatic is to be used in this application. I agree with that choice, just pointing out it is a concern until investigated.

Ray

J Man likes this.
  14. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I am picking the car up on Labor Day weekend. Then I will have to be in the hunt for a motor/trans combo.

Hnstray likes this.