Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features No it's not !!!! Wrong ! Cmon ! A what!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigmac48, Aug 16, 2020.

1. papajohn

papajohn

I had a 60 Chevy Brookwood wagon in highschool (1986), and everyone there thought it was a hearse.

WC145 and fordflambe like this.
  2. cfmvw

cfmvw

I converted my VW to EFI some years ago. Had a guy at a show tell me it's a Porche motor and ask if I was running naws (nitrous), pointing to the injectors. I told him it's EFI, and he proceeds to tell me I'm full of it because everyone knows you can't put fuel injection on a Bug.

Met a guy with a Mercer once, and he couldn't believe that I actually knew what it was. He said people ask him all the time about his kit car. We ended up having a great conversation about the car.

3. chrisp

chrisp

My Citroën DS21 : are you gonna keep your Studebaker stock or modify it?

Guy: what is it?
    Me: a Panhard.
    Guy: who built it?
    Me: Panhard.
    Guy: no what I mean is who manufactured it? Chrysler, GM or Ford?
    Me: Panhard.
    Guy throws his hands in the air, rolls his eyes and leaves...

4. In my precious little radon saturated, opiate addled, inbred, otherwise pleasant, part of the planet, most folks can't figure out what most anything is, Let alone, vehicles from times long past. I did meet one guy in a seven -eleven parking lot that was willing to hold forth on the virtues of a dodge stratus his brother in law/cousin/stepdad had "gone right thru an' fixed er' up real good''. uncle earl had one of them old cars but he was gonna fix er' up real good with the tax return, and ....the message is now clear......Ain't nobody knows fer sure what them old cars is ....but..." fer sure we're gonna fix em' up real good". Actually there are enclaves of hot rod folk in this area......out of a need for defense, they keep to themselves and over value their stuff by a ton , so as to be able to identify what they got with some authority..........WOW!!!...what a mean spirited indictment this has been.......Hey!...is that a model T!!??...................my uncle Earl had one just like it,......His didn't have the hemi, though"

5. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

I grew up in Dundalk, and even in the 50's-60's there were plenty of car clueless guys saying stupid stuff that usually ended in a fight.

alanp561 likes this.
  6. prpmmp

prpmmp

Had a young Mom(very attractive) point out to her son what a funny looking car I had!!(38 Ford sedan) I said not as funny looking as the driver!! She laughed and said I was much better looking than the car!! I said liar! She laughed again!! Pete

7. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

A Young Guy With His Cute Wife Was Trying To Figure Out What Years The Different Hot Rods Were When She Said "It Is Right On The License Plate Ding Dong"... CHANGE 2014 017.JPG

scotty t, WC145, alanp561 and 11 others like this.
  8. I had someone ask me if my '59 Ford was a Checker taxi cab a few weeks back. That was a new one...

9. Several years ago I was at a small town car show in Central Texas with my avatar, factory flathead six, stock at the time. Sitting there with the hood open and a couple of old guys walked up, looked under the hood and one said "Why in the hell would someone go to the trouble of putting a Plymouth flathead six in a '51 Ford?" Instead of keeping my mouth shut, I quickly pointed out that it was a Ford flathead six. He went off in a rant that '51 Fords came with V8 flatheads and nothing else. Even after I pointed out the Ford script cast on the head he still would not be convinced. The guys walked away with him still ranting that I didn't even know what kind of engine I had in my own car.

WC145, alanp561, ratrodrodder and 7 others like this.
  10. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

We get "I love your Nomad" all the time... 20200817_083024.jpeg

scotty t, WC145, NoSurf and 10 others like this.
  11. I could list mine for sale as a nomad! Everybody tells me it's a nomad because it's a 2dr! :D 20200726_182322.jpg

scotty t, WC145, alanp561 and 14 others like this.
  12. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Not the car but the parts. I'm a vendor at a local swap meet and every year the same guy who thinks he's a comedian shows up with two kids who look bored to death and he proceeds to explain to them what every part is on every table he comes across. He never buys a thing and you can tell he has no clue what the parts are for.

13. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

I worked in auto parts for 20 years. Most people couldn't even tell you what kind of car THEY drove.
    It continues to this day. Just look through the ads on FB or Craigslist. Pictures of car parts with no description, year, make, nothing. Wheels for sale "fits all 5 lug" (not hardly.) Want ad I saw said "I need a grille like this." Picture showed the headlight and right fender, no grille.

14. I owned an O/T 73 mustang fastback years ago.

a guy started up a convo at the gas station how his dad owned the same car but a 4 door !:D

also told why I would modify the back doors on my “classic Lincoln”
    It was a 69 all original, nope “ I put them backwards doors on it !”:D

15. fordflambe

fordflambe

I cant really "throw rocks" at people for not being able to identify with my hot rods though, because to be honest, you can park any ten late models next to each other and I would be lucky to be able to identify two of them.

clem, alanp561, chromedRAT and 19 others like this.
  16. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Get a lot of car smart,that do know what they are looking at an love it with Uosss an Awwws even a good "?" or 2. Some also that almost know an tell who's with them all about things they point at,but that info is so far off,I just say nothing as if I'm also just looking at cars too. ,an then a few that have no idea but smile.. ."Were did you put the hood?",,,,,"I saw your little sign said 1928 ! did it come this way?",,,"That's missing a lot of parts,how do find them?" ,,," I saw that in a cartoon a few years ago,"
    An almost every big show I go to,I get told "looks just like my Grandad's" IMG_2750.JPG

WC145, alanp561, flatheadpete and 2 others like this.
  17. I had a guy stop and walk over to the garage while I was wrenching on something (I don't recall may have been a Falcon wagon) and says, "What year is that Model A." he motioned to me Willys pickup. I said, "1962". he said, "Wow I never seen one newer that '57"

[​IMG]

scotty t, WC145, NoSurf and 9 others like this.
  18. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The other day I was coming home in my Studebaker and a late model Vette is in the other lane. He pulls up beside me at the stop light and asks "Is that a Studebaker", he was probably almost as old as I:) That made my day just a little better!! I'd like to have had his drivetrain in my Studebaker:)

scotty t, WC145, 41 GMC K-18 and 2 others like this.
  19. Can't tell how many times I have been questioned/accused of cutting up a sedan delivery/coupe/whatever to make a custom vehicle. Nope, 100% stock as it rolled out of the Holden factory in Australia, 1937 Chevy Ute. Bonneville2013-C.jpg

scotty t, WC145, alanp561 and 12 others like this.
  20. I run a Studebaker 289 in my Model A, people like to argue:
    It's the same as a Ford 289ci.
    Think it's a Cadillac, Olds, YBlock, one guy even thought it was a Nailhead????
    Ask Who made Studebaker
    Claim Studebaker used Chevrolet motors in everything
    I could go on and on.

WC145, alanp561, ratrodrodder and 4 others like this.
  21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

why would you want to? late models are to be used then thrown away like old shoes.:)

WC145 likes this.
  22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

just cuz you own an old car and go to all the shows does not mean you know anything at all. had a buddy who had many many old cars in his life, he was even an appraiser. told me about a guy who was selling the motor "out of one of those Chevy's like yours" (1949) so I go to look at the motor and it is a flathead six and the car was a 48 Oldsmobile sitting right next to it.

23. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Back in 1995-96 I was working at a Mail order parts dealer for Minis and MGBs. I drove my '50 Ford Sedan everyday and hadn't had it very long, when one of the girls (18-19 yrs old) working in the office told me she saw a red car just like mine in town. I'm thinking probably just another old car running around and everyone thinks they are all the same. Well, a few days later I'm driving down the road and pull up next to a red '50 Ford just like mine. We pulled over and talked, he drove his everyday as well. He told me he couldn't go anywhere without people asking him questions and keeping him from getting things done. He was sort of in to cars and had a few other old cars and the '50 was running SBC w/4 speed. But he just didn't do shows, etc.

When I went back to work I told Susan she had a good eye. Some people do know what they are talking about.

WC145, alanp561, chromedRAT and 8 others like this.
  24. Danny, that's 'cause ALL you hippie-types drove dune buggies back then :D

WC145, clem, 5window and 1 other person like this.
  25. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

And some don't have a clue. About 6 or 7 yrs ago I was at a body shop waiting for a buddy to pick me up. The shop manager asked me if I was interested in a '55 Nomad that he had out back. Was primed, needed painting, had interior and he would take $2k for it. Super Chevy wasn't too far off and I am thinking I can make a buck or two. I didn't want to go around back and miss my buddy so I waited for him. Finally, I get to go look at the Nomad. The manager had been in this business for a very long time, but this Nomad was a 2dr wagon with rear wheel wells opened up. It was primed, about 20 yrs ago and no interior. As far as I know it's still sitting there. . .

26. When my first 39 Ford tub was in primer with a black Carson top, I stopped to gas it up and a kid came over and asked if it was a WWII Army Tank?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    WC145, mgtstumpy, clem and 5 others like this.
  27. 54vicky

54vicky

at a cruise in this asshole showing his son (surprise)his knowledge of shit told the kid that the cracked 40+year old lacquer paint was bondo.I just ignored it stopped going to those things shortly after no patience for fking idiots

WC145, 48fordnut and bobss396 like this.
  28. badvolvo

badvolvo

Driving my old P1800s into a gas station. I went into pay for my fuel. He said "what kinda VW is that, never seen one".
    I told him it's not a VW, it's a Volvo P1800s. He replied, I think it's a VW, says so right on the hub cap. Hubcap had a single "V".

alanp561 and dana barlow like this.
  29. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

20150502_193656.jpg Idiots would say "Cool Rat Rod"
    You morons it's a stock model a!!! Banger engine ,stock everything 20150502_193656.jpg

WC145, fordflambe and MO54Frank like this.
  30. rudestude

rudestude

While driving down the hiway one day a few years back in my 50 Studebaker champion Starlight coupe, a car goes by me and I noticed the old gal in the passenger's seat looking over with a big smile on her face and I give a little wave back.
    Well a few miles down the road I stopped at a road side market and happened to park next to the gals car.
    A white haired couple , probably in there 70's, he was just walking into the store and as I was getting ready to exit my car she rolled down her window and says ,with a big friendly smile, thats a Studebaker isn't it, I answer back yes it is ,a 1950,...
    Then the shocker....the old gal kind of leans my direction and with her hand held beside her mouth as to direct her voice to me ...she says "I lost my virginity in a Studebaker like that".....mmmmm what do you say back? While I just kind of sat there with my door part way open and one leg out , I see the old guy at the register in the store , he then starts walking out and I still am just sitting there with probably a blank look and she looks at me and puts her finger up to her mouth as to shush me and quietly says "It wasn't with him" smiles and starts to roll up her window.
    I continue to get out of my car and the old guy walks up and starts to open his door then looks my way and says "Studebaker ...good cars ...a good friend of mine had one like that growing up" I about crap my self...I just said "yes they are" out the corner of my eye I see the old gal kind of shrug her shoulders and smile.
    I walked off while directing a big "thumbs up" her way.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dustin 257, WC145, NoSurf and 33 others like this.