Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have problems with DHL shipping?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 17, 2006.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Curious if anyone has ever had problems with DHL? I had some '39 Ford brake drums sent to me and the guy sent them DHL... they never made it here and DHL says "we're investigating"... Do these guys pay up if they lose your stuff or does it become a huge nightmare??? Getting worried!

2. Maybe all the DHL delivery vans are still on the train like the TV ad shows.

Never seen a DHL van here.

Besides, the real Santa Claus wears a brown UPS suit....

3. George

George

My mom's TV started crapping out on her a few yrs ago. She has a maintnance agreement with Sears. They came out to look @ it, & determined that the tube was going out. The guy arrianged for a new tube to be sent to her. When it showed up on the door step, the box had water soaked up half the height of the box, & there was some damage to the box. The "pins" that stick out the back of the tube were mashed!:mad: Box had DHL stickers. Called Sears & told them of the damage. They had another new tube sent by DHL. This tube arrived broken!:mad: That was 950$ worth of TV tubes DHL wrecked! Sear gave up & had her come out & choose a new TV @ the store. That was first & last exp. with DHL. Have done a lot of business w UPS, no problems.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! That's not good!

UPS has been good. The guy that sent them to me got a good rate with them because of work and since we're talking 40 pounds, it was cheaper than UPS to send them from NJ for him. I'm going to call them in a bit to get an update. Couldn't get one over the weekend.

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I had a set of boots sent to me, seller used DHL. I had to go TO their plant TWICE before i got them. Their driver couldn't find my house. :confused: Mapquest DO YOU USE IT!?

6. DHL, IMHO is one of the better shipping outfits out there. They've shipped for me and to me. All good.

7. I have no complaint with their service. But I did use them to ship stuff I sold on the HAMB "For Sale" listing and on eBay. The shipping office would quote one rate which I wopuld pay and then I would get a bill for a higher rate and no credit for the money I put down at the time of shipment. Took lots of letters and photo copys of checks before it was all over. Never again. They are not in business for the little guy.

8. DragginWagon

DragginWagon
    from Tyler,Tx.

They have been alot cheaper than ups and I haven't had any probems.

9. PDX Lefty

PDX Lefty

I won't use them and I won't deal with any one who insist on using them. 3 items I got delivered by them were all left in the rain all day!!! I have a covered porch UPS and FedEx both leave items there where they stay dry and are out of sight. But no, the dip wad DHL driver leaves it at the bottom of the stairs in plain sight and in the weather. It is only four stairs to go up.
    Call DHL and they say "We will let him know to leave them on the porch". Next two times same thing, ruined packages.

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been trying to get info on the drums since Thursday (the day they were scheduled for delivery). The tracking show they never left Atlanta on the 8th!! You would think that something in the system would flag someone and let them know so I could be notified or the sender could be notified. So I called and they said they will investigate the matter and then the guy calls me back Friday and says the last place they were seen was Atlanta (DUH!!) and that they were trying to get someone there to give them info. So I called Saturday and Sunday and they said they were still waiting for someone to call them back... :confused: COME ON!! I just called a bit ago and they said they think they were shipped somewhere else by mistake, but found some other brakes on the loading dock... :confused: WTF??!! Anyone else missing brakes sent by DHL?? She said there is someone that is scheduled to call me at 12:45 my time to give me an update. Nobody had called me at the other scheduled times YET!! We'll just see!

The shipment was insured for $100, and that's all great, but I will have to go find another pair (and probably NOT for what I paid for these!!) and then I'll have to have those shipped TOO!! :mad:

11. I seriously doubt if they pay. They don't take too many precautions with the stuff they deliver.

I had a pair of Cheater Slicks dropped off at my place last year (at the old digs in "the neighborhood") I wasn't home they just dropped 'em on the porch and split.

I probably wouldn't ship anything with 'em.

12. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

no problem here, the guy just throws the shit out in my yard and leaves like 20 feet in front of my front door, never again if i can help it /////////////

13. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

They have been terribly slow everytime I have used them....similar to your situation...thought they lost it, it eventually got here, about 4 weeks....terrible service from what I hear from every person and business around here. Fed Ex is my shipper of choice.

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got an update, but it still doesn't sound the promising. They found my drums. They were shipped to another dock somewhere. Now they're "trying to contact them..." to find out if they still have them. I like how everytime I talk to someone they're TRYING to get in touch with someone. At least they friggin' found them!

Who's good to ship heavy small things like a transmission or something like that? Things that aren't particularly bulky, but are heavy as hell for their size?

15. Scooter-
    Try Dayton Freight. They're based out of (you guessed it) dayton, OH, but they have a network of partners throughout the country to get low rates. They got a full dressed flathead from St. Louis to Detroit for $125, I picked it up at the shipping hub. A full Model A roadster body from California to Detroit- about 3 bills.

16. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Got a couple motorbike frame shipped by them,,never a problem,,tough there area is kind of limited it seems

17. old beet

old beet

The wife bought an antique cast iron ashtray on Thursday evening. Used Paypal......DHL dropped on my porch 10 AM Monday. From New York to Seattle????............OLDBEET

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I'd roll naked in broken glass and then soak in a tub full of rubbing alcohol before shipping with DHL again.

Spent two weeks tracking down a package they lost...they finally delivered it three doors down from the actual address. No lie--the day after the guy calls me and says that it's finally there but he had to drive down the block to get it, the shipping supervisor calls me and says the package is lost and they can't find it anywhere in their system.

The company I work for sends two complete semi trailers of packages per day. We switched from UPS to DHL, because it was a better price. In just a couple months, we switched back, becasue DHL couldn't deliver.

We're a company that doesn't make decisions like that lightly.

-Brad

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see you're in Atlanta... maybe you can go down to their shipping warehouse and kick someone in the ding ding for me!! :mad:

21. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

I am a USPS mail carrier and I know everyones complaints about DHL. Why don't you just check the prices and featurs of USPS.com you can ship from your house with free delivery conformation. Also you pay extra to DHL because the USPS has to pick up all of their missdelivered and packages that are sent back. So check with us and you may be suprised with the services we offer. Hey usually I am not a company man but it saves me money all the time. I think the only thing that we aren't cheaper with is insurance on items.
    Jack

22. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

i sold 2 engine crates to a guy in tn. he said he would call dhl,dhl picked up the crates,the billing was done by the buyer. the crates got lost,1shows up weeks later,the 2nd one was never found. then i start getting bills for the shipping,no matter how many times i called them i kept getting billed. the buyer had paid months before we got it straightend out. dipshits..
    randy

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The stories I've heard here are really pretty shocking!! I couldnt' IMAGINE losing a whole friggin' motor!! Sounds like the lost package thing isn't anything new to DHL. I'm sure it's happened, but I've never known anyone to have UPS lose their package... break stuff, yes. Lose, not yet... but I'm sure someone will scream it out...

Wish there were more options. I'm done with Greyhound here also. Vegas is horrible for Greyhound!! I wait in line for an hour just to get a quote, the station stinks like shit, there is no parking anywhere unless you pay like $10, and there are gangers waling around everywhere just looking for trouble. It's like a scene from a movie or something everytime I go down there! They're good shippers, but tough to deal with in Vegas...

24. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I am fighting with them right now, they courted me and convinced me with several phone calls to get an account. The first items I sent I asked for charges,and was told a price . The price I was billed was almost twice as much as I was told.They say that all my items,(5 of them ) were 1#, oversize(21 inches square and 19 inches tall at 14 lbs),@2, delivered to residential addresses,#3, out of their service area. They had all this info when I sent them but didn't tell me till after they were delivered. RIP OFF.

25. zues

zues

I'll never use them again. I shipped two packages out one day with a combined total of about 23 bucks. Packages got there no problem. When I got my bank statement I had a charge of $187. I called them and asked what the hell and they told me that they had charged me overnight to europe by mistake. My reply was no big deal just refund my bank card. They told me that the main office was the one that did refunds and it could take up tp two months to get corrected. It took them about 5 weeks to give back MY money. Never again. What can brown do for you.

26. Gator

Gator

The guy at my local pack & ship warned me against using DHL for just that reason. Says they have a lot of claims and that it's near impossible to get any damage/loss problems resolved.

27. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Sent a scout II windshield frame to a guy for some adjustable hemi rockers,ups wanted 230 to ship the frame fed ex wanted 260. dhl sent it for 54.72 and it made it there sooner than they said.Had excellent luck with them the only time ive used em.Also you can track it on dhl.com

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This post should serve as a good old fashion "buyer beware" when it comes to shipping. Sounds like a hit or miss company. If things work out, it goes great. If things don't, you're screwed until it can get resolved...

Not good! Now I'm REALLY worried! Hopefully they'll call with better news today! :( If they do end up being lost in space, anyone have any front '39 Ford brake drums layin' around (wide-5) they would sell me??

29. RadirWheelsGuy

RadirWheelsGuy

Dhl's shipping software SUCKS!, there customer service SUCKS, But dagnabbit, they got a topolino carb from new jersey to some boondock town in australia in like 3 days. In that respect they are great.

My DHL rep has been telling us for a week he will come buy us all lunch and go over this new software suite they have, i wont hold my breath.

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DO NOT USE DHL FOLKS!! Unless of course you like the run-around!!

Haven't heard from them in a couple days. Was in touch with them everyday and the update was always the same.. "we're still trying to locate them"... BULLSHIT!! So I called them today and they basically told me that since the last time we talked they hadn't done any research and because I chose to not start the claim the were going to start the search again. I can't believe this crap!! Why is this so difficult!! I asked the guy if they put the description of the contents on the box (1939 Ford Brake Drums) and sure enough, they do! So, if some other guy decided he needed some and knew how bad the system was then they could be stolen right off the dock!!

I can't believe this crap!! I'm a week and a couple days out... I have a feeling it's going to be awhile (if ever) I see these drums... :(

If someone else has some 39 Ford front drums they want to make me a good deal on I'll start the claims process and be done with this!

Thanks for letting me vent!