Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Resurrection of an Old Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JNKYARDDOG_1, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Guess I could have posted this in sequence showing the front end done and a "DRIED" frame...

Holes are in the frame to mount F-1 shock mounts, Brakes at the wheels are finished, NO disc in those drums they are the 40 Fords That came on the truck when I got it..

Yes that is a ORIGINAL axle that was hand forged dropped.. Did buy a new Posie front spring reverse eye.. The split bones are a Speedway The original ones was so boogered to reuse.

20200607_161441.jpg

2. As posted in another thread The engine being used is a SBC that I knew ran.. Lets just say its a 327 LOL

Here it is coming out of the donor vehicle.

20200619_195139.jpg

Engine was a Replacement at one time Very clean in the valley area.

20200620_140500.jpg

3. DAMN I HATE MY A.D.D sometimes...

Changing my mind several times on what induction and what this engine going to look like.

Started with this idea..

20200620_194311.jpg

Then i didnt want to look like a SBC and found these valve covers and mounted them up..

20200801_195939.jpg

BUt found a crossram manifold UGH !

20200812_142425.jpg

Problem is the Lincoln Valve covers hit the manifold and I dont want to cut them up ! err trim to fit.

The billshit air cleaners would have to go ! One of my customers did have this scoop.. but only one UGH again.

20200815_092846.jpg

And back with the finned Cal-Customs..

20200815_172900.jpg

Then I have seen a a couple Y blocks come up for sale thinking I should go with that.

Advice to others that I have NOT done.. MAKE A PLAN AND STICK WITH IT !

4. I do have to say that I do like the Lincoln valve covers...

rpm56, Runnin shine, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  5. Yeah you need to go with the Y block, that's a great idea. Then box up that cross ram and send it my way ;)

6. Trouble is I have everthing for the SBC to go in...

No deep pockets here :(:(o_Oo_Oo_O

7. And that's why everything i build gets yet another wonderful small block ;) If something ain't broke, why fix it? o_O

chryslerfan55 and TagMan like this.
  8. You're doing a bang up job on that truck, that scoop is interesting with the dividers in the mouth of the opening, I don't recall ever seeing one before.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Cross ram is cool and all, but I like the three twos better....

loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  10. Thank you.. First real build outside of a shop. Its going to be a driver no trailer queen here..

chryslerfan55, loudbang and swade41 like this.
  11. I agree also, The deal on the crossram was too good to pass and try..

Problem I have with the 3x2 is a air cleaner.. I do not want the 3 chrome domes that most use, or frog mouths..

loudbang likes this.
  12. The other problem I may have is the cam choice.
    Comp cams Thumper cam, May be a bit lean on the outer cylinders at a idle and just above before the linkage kicks in.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’m putting together a ‘33 pickup too so I did a double take on your frame pics, did someone splice on some ‘32 front frame horns? That looks better than the stubby ‘33s but I wonder how they would work with front fenders. Mine will probably be fenderless at first, my front fenders are junk, but my frame horns ain’t that great either.
    I’d go with the 3x2 and the old Cal Custom style valve covers. Don’t agonize over the air filters, you’ll run across something that you’ll like.
    Leave the Lincoln valve covers for the Lincolns.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

40FORDPU and loudbang like this.
  14. Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  15. v8flat44

v8flat44

I smell HOT ROD Lincoln in the garage.........

loudbang likes this.
  16. Jokester

Jokester

Problem I have with the 3x2 is a air cleaner.. I do not want the 3 chrome domes that most use, or frog mouths..[/QUOTE]

I had 3x2 on my '32 Chevy. I made an air cleaner (just flat metal top and bottom) using 2 oval filters (stacked) from a Datsun 240Z. A good metal man could easily make a more attractive top than just flat metal, but at that time my resources were very limited. Sorry, no pics.

My 2 cents.

.bjb

Stogy, loudbang, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  17. Trying to find period seat for a chopped channeled anything when your 6' Is a BiOtch

20190407_105502.jpg

20190407_140752.jpg

These model A seats had the right look but WAY to tall head was banging off the roof... Tried to scrunch down and was very uncomfortable

ClarkH, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is always the Chrysler middle row mini van seat. Or if the money tree blooms you could spring for a Glide Engineering one.:cool:

JNKYARDDOG_1 and loudbang like this.
  19. ANother lost pic.. Third row out of a windstar fit fairly well, It does push me toward the steering wheel a bit tho..I did find a set of buckets out of a British car I was told, Will try to get pics later.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  20. Last few weeks here have been simply miserable 40 days above 110. So not much has been done but hibernating out of the heat, metal building with no real cooling sux ass.

20200815_154731.jpg

Inside the shop yesterday UGH !

fauj, swade41 and loudbang like this.
  21. but it's a dry heat.:rolleyes:

ct1932ford, brEad, LAROKE and 2 others like this.
  22. Be my guest.. come out and see how dry it is right now..:eek:

23. That's some crazy heat, hell it's 63 degrees outside right now and in the 50's for the low tomorrow, I was sweating my butt off when it was 80 in the shop, no way I'd be out there with another 30 degrees on top of it !

Screenshot_20200818-011019_4 Warn Weather.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  24. Got a little done today, Had day off need to use some vacation before loosing it. Temp was a little more tolerable only 106 today.. First was first went and bought a used 20 ton press up in the cool pines of the mile high city of Prescott.. Then got the old bushing out the rear leaf spring and axle tubes.

20200821_160941.jpg

After 86 years they was a little ST-UCK !...

Pressing in the leaf spring bushings was straight forward..

20200821_161005.jpg

Doing the axle tubes.. a bit more tricky..

20200821_162313.jpg

20200821_163214.jpg

Now time to get the rear together, New bearings, seals, check ring gear lash, Paint and hang it.

AHotRod, Okie Pete, LAROKE and 4 others like this.
  25. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yes sir it is. Mine's chopped 4 1/4" and channeled 2 1/2" and I flushed the stock firewall, it's down to Model A size now. I've got '60 T-bird and '73 Dodge motorhome bucket seats ( Jetson seats, like in Dave Shuten's '32 tudor) for mine. It will be early sixties style.
    Thanks for the tip on Mac's. What is that gauge cluster in there? I have a '46 ('48?) Pontiac cluster I was going to use but I found a pretty cherry stock dash so I'm reluctant to cut it up that much.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  26. Bob.

The wheel is a 42 olds deluxe, The dash cluster is also from a 46/8 pontiac cut into the original. It is not in the best condition so it is going to get replaced..

27. Same with the wheel I am going to replace it with this I think..

20191014_061443.jpg

28. bchctybob

bchctybob

That's cool, English? I've got a nice Morris Minor banjo and an Austin banjo squirreled away for mine. My gauge cluster is the same basic shape but with round gauges on each side of the speedo. I keep telling myself, when I sell my truck or my trailer or ?, I'm gonna set aside some $$ and send it in for restoration but I haven't yet.
    It's been over 100 here everyday, and smoky so I'm going slow too.

29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

If it helps... I’m dead locked into running a crossram on my 32 pu. So if you don’t use yours at least you can say ya didn’t follow the herd right?
    Keep them posts coming.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim likes this.
  30. A good productive weekend, Yesterday Got New bearings and races into the original rear end, Properly shimmed,
    Today picked up the Aviation Permatex and glued everything together. Gave the rear a scuff and painted it, Also did the torque tube and radius rods, Just need to wait and dry now so can put the whole thing together..

20200823_163212 (2).jpg

Not having 115+ degree days helping also.

AHotRod, Okie Pete, cactus1 and 7 others like this.