Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The old beam axle shimmy at speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 325w, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Bought this car earlier this year. At 45 it started the shimmy. Toe in set front wheels balanced. It still shimmys. Has a Speedway front end under it. Swapped out the steering box for a borgeson. Shimmy didn't start till about 54. Much tighter and more response than the speedway box. Angle finder on the upper part of the axle beam. It shows about 6 degrees on both sides. Has hair pin radis rods. So how do I adjusts the hairpins. Thinking I want to lay it back a bit. On the 32 coupe I had it was four bar. Took both top bars off and adjusted the to cause the axle to lean back. So do I do the hair pins the same way?

2. Fordors

Fordors

EDE855D6-B944-407F-B7F2-8BE6C4B7AD46.jpeg

Adjust your caster with the clevises, screw the top one in and the lower out, just be sure to leave an adequate amount of thread in the tube.

AHotRod likes this.
  3. What condition are the king pins and bushings in?

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Also tie rod ends, check for wear...
    What angle are the front shackles on?

5. All seems very tight

6. fortynut

fortynut

Tie rod ends? Not worn and no slop. How about the adjustment of the Panhard bar? It does have one, right? Also, available from some vendors is a shock absorber device that locates off the tie rod to stop shimmy. Originally used by VW, it aids in this very issue.

hotrodjack33 and dana barlow like this.
  7. Has a panhard bar. What about the panhard adjustment. It appears to be evenly located.
    Should it be pushing one way are another

8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Buy a steering damper . Install the steering damper . Enjoy driving your car ! Or ......drive yourself insane spending a bunch of time and money to TRY and solve a problem that may not be solvable ! BTDT

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  9. Mimilan

Mimilan

What is the caster?
    And what is the scrub radius?
    Too much caster can create lift on a lightweight vehicle [instead of self aligning the steering]

This is usually triggered over a slightly uneven surface by too much scrub radius [caused by smaller overall diameter wheels / or wheels widened to much outwards]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    farmalldan likes this.
  10. fordflambe

fordflambe

Before you go too far with the chassis, check your tires for out of round or separation.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. I always set the axle at 7 degrees, check all the tie rod ends and jack the front end up and see if you. HRPhave in play in the king pins/

Desoto291Hemi and dana barlow like this.
  12. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@2OLD2FAST is absolutely correct...buy a steering dampner.
    I spent over 10 years chasing the gremilins causing the wobble on my 32 Ford. Finally bought a SoCal steering stabilizer as a last resort and my problems were fixed ! If I had done that in the first place, I could have saved myself a lot of wasted $

Montana1 and wraymen like this.
  13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have a steering damper on all 4 of my deuces and the 40 and they drive perfect.Some people think they are a crutch but I think they make a straight axle chassis more enjoyable. I started using them on my own cars about 15 years ago.

Montana1 and bchctybob like this.
  15. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If you like to fab your own stuff , you can save a few bucks by ordering a VW beetle( mid 60's) steering damper ( just like the one shown) for around $20 ... Then fan your own brackets ..

Desoto291Hemi and Roothawg like this.
  16. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’m a fan of using the steering damper too but you do need to look at all of the front end components and be sure there is no slop anywhere. Also some spindle, drum, wheel combinations make for a poor scrub radius which can make the front end more susceptible to shimmy. Can you post a few pictures?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

olscrounger likes this.
  17. While a steering damper may help I've never needed one if the front end components were in good condition...

18. alchemy

alchemy

Do you have heim ends on your tie rod? What is the toe-in set at? Show us some good clear pics of the components, and nice side and front shots so we can see the angles of stuff.

19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Increase or decrease your caster, a little at a time until the shimmy goes away. This is assuming, everything thing is tight and your wheel/ tires are round and balanced and your toe in is correct. “ Your” caster may have to be a little more or less than the other guy’s.

Bones

bchctybob, 47ragtop and hemihotrod66 like this.
  20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This, borrow another set of wheels and tires to try on the front, process of elimination.

21. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

the "old way" of stopping it was to set the toe out 1/16".... and it is a patch for the real problem of something loose.

22. Where exactly is this? A beam is not flat on top.

Boneyard51 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  23. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

What tire pressure are you running?

24. 25 lbs tire pressure. Using an angle finder on the front of the axle vertically. The king pin top is not level enough to set the finder. Will have to ask Thomas what he set toe at.

25. Dampner help a bunch. But it's not there yet.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. sdluck

sdluck

A socket or piece of pipe on the kingpin boss

27. Why didn't I think of that.
    Moved one side to close to seven. Other side I could only get it to 9. That was using way of measure. It helped able to drive 60. Right side the bat wing is not straight with the hair pin. Will try again.

28. made it to 70 very little shimmy. Panhard bar was ove tightened.Made right bat wing crooked. Broke it loose and you could feel the suspension relax.
    Thank you sdluck. Your idea was spot on! I owe ya!
    Thanks again

29. sdluck

sdluck

Glad I could help,as are all of us.

kadillackid and X38 like this.
  30. To date I made 70 mph with only a little shimmy are vibration. New Borgeson steering box to replace the Speedway. New Borgeson steering column vibaration steering joint. A steering dampner also. Now to the rear and get the tires balance checked. Then replace the Speedway coil overs.