Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone heard of a "Kates" flathead intake.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodAV8, Oct 3, 2017.

1. HotRodAV8

HotRodAV8
    from Seattle Wa

KiWinUS and Deuces like this.
  2. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Looks like a single plane,awfully low too probably not good for the street....

3. A buddy of mine has a Kates Chevy valve cover. Looking for info on it, not finding much. IMG_20200815_144652.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim, KiWinUS and Deuces like this.
  4. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Think it's been discussed before that Fenton would manufacture components for shops selling aftermarket speed equipment in that particular speed shop's name. Not sure that's the case here but would make it pretty hard to track down if so.

Tim likes this.

5. Deuces

Deuces

That cover might be for a Y-block Ford and not for a small block Chevy....

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like it might be a 6 cylinder valve cover.

Also, I'm a casual collector of Fenton equipment, and that doesn't look anything like anything I've ever seen from Fenton. Also, I can't be absolutely sure, but the intake looks to be for an early flathead. That, and the 6 cylinder valve cover, point to an early obscure manufacturer.

belair likes this.
  7. Fordors

Fordors

1C5D7F7A-6C72-4971-9FAC-281C78551F9A.png

The photo of that valve cover was posted yesterday by @ebs121781, it is for a six cylinder Chevrolet.

8. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

I have a Kates intake manifold as well. The only information I could gather on it was that it was cast in Oregon and it is a Shanafelt pattern. The Kates intake would appear to be very early manufacture as Bill Shanafelt and Eddie Edmunds were already experimenting as early as 1936 with flathead speed parts. This was taking place in Oregon before any of the speed merchants in Los Angeles started production.

As far as the Kates name goes, I have no idea as to the identity of the actual name or who Kates was. I would guess that Bill Shanafelt had a hand in the casting of these Kates intakes. My particular intake was found in a locked closet in a house in Oregon that a young fellow had just purchased, and after breaking the door lock, there was a closet full of flathead parts and the Kates intake that I now have. All of the parts had been locked in there for decades.

9. Sorry, I didn't specify Stovebolt Chevy.