Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Road trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alanp561, Aug 16, 2020.

1. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm flying out to Coeur d'Alene, ID tomorrow to pick up a motorhome for a neighbor. My projected route back to Cleveland, TN takes me across I 90 to Buffalo, WY where I can continue on I 90 or pick up I 25, take it down to US 26 and run through Fort Laramie, WY to Ogallala, NE on I 80. All my truck driving experience in the North West didn't give me much time to look around. Is there anything of interest to a HAMBer along this route? I'm quite familiar with I 80 having spent a lot of years trucking from Michigan to California so I thought about running over to the museum at Speedway in Lincoln, NE but it is closed due to the Covid-19 virus. From Lincoln, it's Route 2 to I 29, to I 70, to
    I 64 and I 24, then I 75 and home.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful country to pass though on 90 but it is just put it on cruise and figure out were the next fuel or food stop is for the most part. Used to be that there was only stop light on 90 from the time you left I 5 in Seattle until you hit the eastern most end.
    Any other year you could probably time things so that you hit a rod trot on a weekend somewhere to have a few hours at and event you would never make otherwise but that is doubtful now.

alanp561 likes this.
  3. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

If you head southeast out of Buffalo, you can catch Mt. Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monuments. There are some interesting museums in Rapid City pertaining to the construction of Mt. Rushmore. East of Rapid City is Murdo,SD. Used to be a big wrecking yard there filled with early iron. If you want to stay up north that far, there's also the sprint car museum in Knoxville, IA. You don't have a welder listed on fb marketplace do you?

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks to @Mr48chev and @Weedburner 40 for the replies. To see Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse might be a good thing since, and I hope this doesn't sound political, there are people out there who want to destroy them. Been to Knoxville for the Nats. I'll find things to see, I'm sure of it. It's just me and I've got all kinds of time to get back.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well Sturgis is on right now .:oops:

Truckdoctor Andy and alanp561 like this.
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

There is also the Badlands , Wall Drug store and an old western village near by. Also, Custer’s last stand.

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Utah has Butch Cassidy hometown.

alanp561 likes this.
  8. Wall Drug Store . Coffie is only 1 cent a mug there. Interesting too. Is,nt the Murdo old car museum around there somewhere ?

alanp561 likes this.
  9. about 8 years ago the family went out west and the hands down best thing I saw was Mt. Rushmore, next best was the badlands. I could not get over the badlands, just rocks and nasty stuff sticking out of the ground as far north and south as you can see. I don't know what the old wagon trains did when they came up to them.

alanp561 likes this.
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Think your right. The “ Corn Palace ”as well ?

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Mitchell, SD has the World Famous Corn Palace

alanp561 likes this.
  12. garage2small

garage2small

I guess you have your reasons for heading East on I 90 or possibly I 80, but may I recommend that headed south out of Idaho down through western Wyoming, into Utah and Arizona then east through New Mexico and on to Tennessee offers much more variety and epic scenery. I live in Knoxville Tn. (actually born and raised in Cleveland) and have made 19 vacation road trips to the western states via all the Interstate routes and the path I described is by far my favorite. Whatever route you take I wish you safe travels and adventure.

alanp561 likes this.
  13. Custer State Park in the Mt Rushmore area is worth a look. Great wildlife and scenery.

14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes sir, I looked at that and thank you for the suggestion, but I'm spending someone else's money for fuel and since I've seen most of everything south of I 80 through the windshield of a tractor, I'd kind of like to see some of the places I rarely got to.

15. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks to your suggestion, I looked up the Murdo museum and they're still in business. Not closed down for Covid and they do have a salvage yard.

34 GAZ likes this.
  16. Gman0046

Gman0046

Your road trip sounds like fun. Enjoy.

17. Pretty sure Custer Battlefield park is closed....