Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Age old fuel delivery problem, need help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by pull toy, Aug 16, 2020.

1. pull toy

pull toy

The set up for my 454 engine is a 6 psi mechanical fuel pump feeding a 550 Edelbrock carb. If not cranked every couple days the fuel evaporates and either no crank or wear the starter down. The carb has no choke because the COE engine is sealed up and since I live deep south [seldom cold] I did not want electricity near fuel for any reason. Some one said just add a manual choke, that I am about to do but in addition I want to add a Facet low pressure silver top electric pump in line before the mechanical pump with a intermetion switch to turn pump on and off just to prime the carb. Not sure if fuel can be pushed through the mechanical pump tho. This Facet pump has no check valve so fuel can be drawn through it unrestricted. Has anyone worked thru this problem with a fix like this, I do not intend to run a return fuel line to tank. Seems to easy to be true although I know a pressure line would be required between electric and mechanical fuel pumps.

2. squirrel

squirrel

I ran an electric pump and the mechanical pump in line on a Hudson last year, it worked fine. On hills, hot weather, or to prime the carb, I switched on the electric pump.

Sent from my Trimline

4. I have seen a faulty mechanical fuel pump allow the gas to siphon back down to the fuel tank taking the gas I the carburetor with it. New pump, problem solved.

Jokester likes this.

5. Sounds like you have already made up your mind about what you want to do. And yes you can "pump through" a mechanical pump. Just two check valves and a moving diaphragm inside.

By the way don't be afraid of an electric choke. There are millions of them out there. General Motors furnished those for a reason for Street driven machines. And it doesn't sound as if your 454 is in a racing monster with that tiny little carburetor. Not so sure you can even get over 5000 RPM. I'm running a 750 on my 383 stroker and it seems just about right

Here is what I did, although for an entirely different reason...but adding the electric pump also helped with priming the carb after sitting for a while..
    https://49fordcoupe.smugmug.com/Fighting-Vapor-Lock/

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run an electric pump on the 8ba flathead in addition to the stock mechanical pump in my '39 p/u. Use it to prime the carb if the truck has been sitting for a while or if vapor lock rears its ugly head. Works great.

7. pull toy

pull toy

Thanks for the conformation

8. pull toy

pull toy

Thanks, no the bb is just there for the rumble not the speed, it is actually over powered for casual driving. My concern is with the Facet elec pump, which has no check valves, do I just mount it in line before the mechanical pump. Apparently the answer is yes and priming the carb is my only reason for adding this extra pump. I understand the elec pump will push thru the mechanical and the mechanical will draw thru the elec so all I will need is a push button intermiton switch on the dash for pre start prime. I do appreciate the knowledge share nothing is better than hearing from experience.

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  9. pull toy

pull toy

My need exactly, thanks

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Put the electric pump as close to the tank as you can. They will draw fuel, but work better pushing it forward.

squirrel likes this.