Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 A roof filler

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Willywash, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Willywash

Willywash

Can anyone recommend the best fitting roof filler on market or the ones to stay away from? I don't have access to a salvage yard, so buying a filler is my best option. Looking at the one's with ridges, seems they may hold their shape better for shipping and installation. Any advice?

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

what body style ?
    be careful when you shave off the inner panel glue you can crease the steel...
    volvo wagon that did not have a sunroof just barely fits my buddies' sons '30 tudor… pic.
    DSCN0817.JPG DSCN0816.JPG
    I used a clubcab mopar truck roof on my '30 coupe... no ribs...pic. … memory says about 41"x 41"... DSCN0693 (1).JPG DSCN0772.JPG

3. Willywash

Willywash

Car is a 31 A five window. Do you think the aftermarket ribbed roofs would be an easy install.

4. Easy? Compared to what?

5. Willywash

Willywash

Easier than using a flat roof filler. Seems the ribs would make the filler hold its shape better.

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I got a mid 60's Mustang coupe roof ready for filling my 28/29 Ford coupe roof.

7. That's what we use to get to fill in Model A coupes, the couture is just right. HRP

fiftyv8 likes this.
  8. trucker1

trucker1

1961 thunderbird

9. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

OP doesn't have access to a salvage yard.

10. 6sally6

6sally6

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:...............say whaaaaaaattt???

6sally6

11. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

if the ribs indent [down] they will hold water and or dust... IMO, raised ribs or smooth steel skin...

ted kovacs likes this.
  12. Willywash

Willywash

Raised ribs. I would like advice on which aftermarket filler is best. There is several companies selling them. The few salvage yards in my area, don't sell parts anymore. They crush cars as soon as they get them.

13. aaggie

aaggie

If you buy from an aftermarket supplier ask them for some pictures of their product being installed and see if it would work for you. There are many salvage yards that sell and ship, cost may be an issue but if you have your mind set on one particular roof then that is an option. The Internet is your friend, search old car salvage yards and vintage used parts.

14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Shipping it through greyhound bus lines is cheaper and more protective of the large flat parts...

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only issues with shipping on the big dogs now is that at least around here they no longer have regular bus stations and usually stop at mini marts or cafes. I had to ship a fender out of a mini mart 20 miles from my home a few years ago. I used them all the time when I could take stuff to the actual bus station.
    A roof insert shouldn't be a problem though if the package is less than 47 inches wide and 82 inches long.
    From Greyhound a few minutes ago:
    Correct, 100 pounds max per package and the Greyhound bus cargo space package needs to fit within is 29"H x 47"W x 82"L

One more option for Willywash Is find some guy parting out a viable donor and buy the roof off it before he sends it to the scrap yard. That would be found money for most of those guys.
    Or venture further from the house to wrecking yards that do sell parts.

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I've pushed this before.. Why not do something like this???**clic pic** radiator and top 002.JPG radiator and top 003.JPG

camcrusher likes this.
  17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

For the best sheet metal weld in roof insert I'd be calling Walden Speed Shop in Pomona CA. Take a look at their website waldenspeedshop.com for more about their products. Also, go to their Instagram page a scroll down a little ways for pictures of a roof install on a coupe like yours.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  18. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Once the steel has been stamped with a compound curve it becomes much more forgiving...
    adding a little more or flexing it less is pretty easy...
    I install them with an old screw driver... fine tune the trimming, press down and tack it [small tack on all 4 sides first]
    so it won't "walk" on you... leaving a high spot when you get all the way around... HIH.