Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Can anyone identify this frame? Value?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Charlie57, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Charlie57

Charlie57

This frame was under my 32 Chevy. I'm pretty sure it is not a 32 frame. I think I might sell it, I had been planning to run an aftermarket frame. Can anyone identify it or can anyone give me a fair price for it, with or without the wheels? We have a large Rat Rod show coming to town next month, it would be a good place to sell it.
    Thanks for any advice,
    Chuck

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

3. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

That "frame" identifies as a cobbled piece of junk. It's worth $0.09/lb.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Charlie57

My opinion.....

it may well have began life as a ‘32 Chevy chassis, but has been so extensively altered, it no longer matters what it was then, only what it is now.

It is worth whatever you can get for it.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    mgtstumpy, Boryca, VANDENPLAS and 6 others like this.

5. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Looks like a pieced together frame to me.

Someone has already gotten to it and butchered it.

6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Load it up and have a sign with clear information on what it was under and what has been done to it. Ask for offers.

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

First time posters always ask this question in some form. I wouldn't waste my time moving it any more, you got the car out of it so scrap the rest.

Pat

427 sleeper and alanp561 like this.
  8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like perfect rat rod material to me.

9. adam401

adam401

I dont love some of the engineering there. You dont either I guess because its no longer under your car. There are some good parts on there though. I would split up the frame and sell the shock mounts, front axle, springs, spindle, brakes. I think youll make out better. Theres alot more people that'll buy an axle and throw it in their trunk. Theres less people at a show that are equiped to drag a whole rolling frame home. That frame is usable as well. Somebody will weld it up to suit their build

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Depending on the cost of shipping I'd buy the rear crossmember if you can cut it off. Welcome to the HAMB. Bob

kidcampbell71 and adam401 like this.
  11. Squablow

Squablow

The old chrome I-beam axle with chromed spring pack and what looks like F1 shock mounts and a split Ford wishbone is pretty cool, looks like maybe chromed backing plates there too. That whole setup should sell pretty easy. I really think I'd take that front end off and sell it separately, that is all good stuff in my book.

Do we know what the rearend is? I'm bad at ID'ing those. It kinda/sorta looks like an early Ford 9" with that smooth rear cover that doesn't unbolt, but I'm really not sure. That also probably has some decent value, and I wouldn't doubt someone would buy those old trailing arms/ladder bars or whatever you want to call them.

The wheels have value too to someone going for a 70's drag car look on something.

I don't think the frame itself has a lot of value, maybe $100 but all the bits attached to it definitely do have value and I think you'd probably do a lot better if you pieced it out.

Don't listen to these guys telling you to scrap it, they have no idea what they're talking about.

12. adam401

adam401

^ yeah like if it were near me id love to own the complete front suspension. I think that chrome will clean up well for the most part.

Squablow likes this.
  13. rusty valley

rusty valley

front axle appears to me as a 37 and up ford, wider spring perch location, which they had to make custom long shackles to use a short spring that appears to be a mix of 32-34, and model A leafs. rear cross member i guess at 35-40 ford, everything in between is about .03 cents a pound here

RICH B and alanp561 like this.
  14. That right there is what you have when you start with a bunch of Swap Meet cast off parts and stack them all together into one big piece. Someone mentioned engineering, There ain't no engineering in that thing. What a piece! If that thing actually ran and drove it probably changed lanes every time you used the Loud Pedal. No lateral support anywhere. Removing it was a good choice.

pitman and alanp561 like this.
  15. I would say the RR show is the perfect place for that........item.

mgtstumpy, Just Gary and alanp561 like this.
  16. With all things said if you were to build a good X member then you'd have a foundation and you know the Body will set right back on it. So just what are your plans?

Okie Pete likes this.
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That’s what I mean by “location” . Don’t need parts but if I knew where he was I might offer to buy some bits and pieces or could offer some help with who might buy parts.

Squablow and The37Kid like this.
  18. leon bee

leon bee

Nice job on the photos.

19. Charlie57

Charlie57

Thanks for the comments. I'm in Lebanon, TN just outside of Nashville. My uncle bought the 32 in the 80ties. I think he started to restore it and realized he was in over his head so the car just sat till he passed away four years ago. I'll probably try to figure out some values and part it out.
    Charlie

kidcampbell71, clunker and The37Kid like this.
  20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Looks a lot like a t bucket frame. I’d do away with the cross spring in rear and go with coil overs, or move the ladder bar front mounts inboard the frame and with them more narrow at the front than the rear to locate the axle side to side. Add a x member in the center, change the steering to a cross steer. Would take a little work to make it look and work better, but would be worth it if you could get it cheap enough. I’d give a C note for it just like it sits, rolling. That is, if it was close enough for me to go get it....and Lebanon is close enough!

21. alchemy

alchemy

If you advertise the chrome front end you might be able to get $500 for it. The rest is just scrap. Old Ford suspension parts with old chrome on them are worth more than gold plated.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that the actual frame rails may be 32 Chevy. I don't have a decent photo of my 28/32 Chevy frame that I have for my boat tail roadster but if you eyeball just the frame rails of this one you can visualize where they cut your frame and changed it from Chevy to Ford on both ends.
    [​IMG]

Found a photo of my frame just after I drug it home. some rat rod dude had hacked it up but it has what I need. you can compare the rails though as that is all they used.
    [​IMG]
    Plus one of when I was on the way home with it.
    [​IMG]

I'd say you are on the right sales path, some rat rod junkie will probably fall in love with that real quick.
    I'd say it is worth what the front suspension rear axle and maybe rear crossmember would sell for if you removed them.

Okie Pete, kidcampbell71 and The37Kid like this.
  23. Like most indicated , This frame is only worth what someone is willing to pay. To hacked up , maybe a donor for another frame.
    Vic

24. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

@Charlie57, welcome to the HAMB.
    That frame looks to me like it started out as a 32 Chevy frame.
    Are you selling the body?

25. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yeah, that front end and shock mounts are worth more than the frame. That's what got my eye, immediately.

26. chev34ute

chev34ute

I will digress and say that the condition of that frame can not be determined without getting it sandblasted. Once sandblasted, you will be able to check for any rust, Pitting or fatigue. Do some diagonal measurements to check for squareness. Check the rails for bowing or centre sag. Cross check the width at the front to see if it’s been pinched. If it’s structurally sound, squared and straight, it’s definitely worth money, even just for the rails. Many original frames are butchered at the rear with stepped crossmembers for coil overs. With that being the case, that frame would be the perfect donor for someone wanting to repair a rodded one or even a restorer. Here in Australia, the Police State of NSW that I reside in has outlawed reproduction or owner fabricated frames and bodies from being able to be legally registered for street use. What that means is a damaged original frame like this one is actually more valuable than a shop built reproduction one. If you think that this would never happen in the US think again.

27. low down A

low down A

i don't have to think again were seeing it happen right now. just being disguised as we the government know what's best for you.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  28. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Might want to rethink things on that frame. That appear in better shape than a lot of original stuff. Before the repop frames, there were repop front & rear sections, to replace the damaged portions easier. Before that, you made your own. Not all that hard, but takes a bit of personal work. So just how is it all that different than creating a set of motor mounts, spring perches, crossmembers, etc, now? Have you paid attention to a lot of the "I can save this" threads. That frame is a lot less work than many of those, - & hey - it fits the body you took off of it. Another thing to consider is: where are the # located for titling purposes? Maybe on that frame? If you don't know, that is becoming a real problem for a lot of folks in a lot of States. I'd bet it's cheaper fixing that frame, than a new shiny one. Not as fast maybe, depends on how much $$$ vs. skills you can throw at it. I'd also bet, that you can get frame front n rear pieces from folks making 32 chev frames, or at least some patterns. & if not from them, ask on this board - there's someone that'll get you a paper tracing + hole measurements. Only way that frame is a real problem if you're doing a perfect 100% resto on the car. Although, I gotta admit, iffen I found a cherry undamaged 32 Chev frame for really cheap, that'd be extremely tempting, esp if it came w/a clear/clean matching #'s title.
    Marcus...

29. Difficult to judge value i'm thinking. The reason I say that, and , (only as an opinion based on observation), is because practical value is only determined by OP in terms of his planned use, based on his budget, interest and skill set. One also should address the purist perspective, I suppose, based on the '' rat rod " statements of judgement concerning the disposition of said frame. My consideration concerning such generalization would be far down the list however, when making a decision concerning use, based on sought input from the forum, and, as such, highly regarded as an informative and technically astute source.

1934coupe likes this.
  30. Looks like it would have bump steer to me.