Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical COWL VENTS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 15, 2020.

1. He and John in the blue 5 window also, this photo was taken on the 2015 All Deuce Run.

John drove this very car to Peoria, it was red at the time. HRP

OLSKOOL57, 3W JOHN and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. .........I guessed that the picture was taken at one of your All Deuce Runs, Danny. Ronnie isn't afraid to take his "32 on the long road trips. Sweet 5-window, great guy and lifetime hot-rodder.

OLSKOOL57, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

48 in front of Jeans folks house. 1981-M.jpg
    I love both of my cowl vents but the top one is counter productive with `20 louvers in the hood.

OLSKOOL57, 3W JOHN, Dave Mc and 2 others like this.
  4. Here's a couple more shots of Ronnie's 5-window. Sorry no open cowl vent shots.:D 20160905_104511.jpg 20160905_120745.jpg

5. Tom (seadog) used Ronnie's car for the promo photo for the 2016 run. HRP

[​IMG]

OLSKOOL57, 3W JOHN and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

The biggest mistake I made on my deuce sedan was to get rid of the vent hardware and bolt the lid shut.
    I wanted my a/c and heater up as far under the dash as far as I could get it so you wouldn’t see it . Kick myself in the ass every time it gets hot inside the car.

7. Granted that bolting the vent shut was a mistake, that was the one and only one you made on that car, I think it's one of the nivcest Deuce sedans on the Hamb. HRP

OLSKOOL57 and 3W JOHN like this.
  8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks Danny! Although there’s nothing wrong with a beater like yours. And I mean that in a good way. I often wish I would have built mine as a beater.

9. Charlie K

Charlie K

10. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When cruising out on I-90, in the South Dakota heat, whether its in my 47 Dodge or my 46 IHC firetruck, the simplicity of the cowl vent, is very much appreciated.
    47 dodge 4 view (3).JPG IMG_2964 (3).jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  11. I really like cowl vents and opening windshields. I used to drive a 39 ford coe for hauling old cars home. One year in particular, the grasshoppers were really bad. The windshields would open really wide and the 2 cowl vents had no screens. The amount of grasshoppers inside the cab with me was shocking.... but a fun memory.

12. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

About 15 years ago, I bought a Cowl Vent Lid and Surrounding Trough from BROOKVILLE to replace one that had been welded shut and bondo ed over on a customers 3 Window, they supply the trough and about an inch of sheet metal past it

. 32coop3.jpg

OLSKOOL57, harpo1313, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  13. Dennis D

Dennis D

I installed a Brookville cowl vent on my car. Wouldn't leave home without it:DD

OLSKOOL57, dsiddons, 3W JOHN and 4 others like this.
  14. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I have always appreciated how effective a cowl vent is. I only disabled one in favor of a/c and the heat from the floor was the bad side effect.

15. Another build by Dave, he added a Brookville cowl vent in this 1930 Model A. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i.rant, The 39 guy, OLSKOOL57 and 7 others like this.
  16. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every single car I own has a cowl vent.
    vent.jpg

-Abone

The 39 guy, LAROKE, OLSKOOL57 and 6 others like this.
  17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I like vents,my Study's had some good working vents,my "J" not so much. My 28 roadster I run with windshield open at bottom about 1 in.

OLSKOOL57, 3W JOHN, Dave Mc and 2 others like this.
  18. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

With my last Tudor, I cut out the welded shut cowl vent & welded in a good original I salvaged .
    Can't live with out it !

My 32 tudor.jpg

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My "A"roadster has the gas tank removed and just a top from Brookville along with the rest of the body. Had I known of the availability of a cowl vent and attendant hardware, I would have gotten one for use in mine before body and paint were completed.
    My '40 Ford coupe has an operating cowl vent and an AC unit that right now needs a better valve to cut off the hot water from circulating through as a heater instead of cooling, as it reduces th cooling quite a bit.
    But I just leave it turned off and use the cowl vent and wind "wings" and it's comfortable to me. When I get around to it, I'm going to put an inline valve under the hood to shut of that hot water line, Just been otherwise occupied lately.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  20. 4tford

4tford

I like the fresh air even on hot days on my 40 ford. 1683097-9b88c623f3a83742ebba9a3d8cf45518.jpg

21. I've repurposed the fuel filler door on my 27 as a cowl vent. I have used a Citroen 2CV flap mechanism to open and close it. Keeping it as a vent has also made wiring a lot easier.

IMG_20200717_113729_01.jpeg IMG_20200607_165225725_MP.jpeg

Sent from my moto g(8) power using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Seeing the cowl vent wide open is part of the landscape of an old car as I sit in the driver's seat, just as important as looking over the long, pointy, rounded hood, or through a split windshield. It has it's functional purpose of course but it's quite ornamental as well. You can barely see the vent open on my 38 in the avatar.

Plus it's cool to show kids or non car folk how people kept cool back then. Cowl vent open, Vent wings all the way out.. works pretty good even on a hot day. If I wear a white T-Shirt it's easy to see dead bugs on my chest as the vent wings are open and pointed directly at me.

23. Dave, My heater valve doesn't work like it should so I installed a regular in line valve to stop the water flow from entering the car, it works like a champ. HRP

OLSKOOL57, dirty old man and 3W JOHN like this.
  24. It's not only the older vintage cars. I closed off my '57's inside vents when I added Vintage Air. One, because I had to for room, the other because I didn't think I needed it. On hindsight, I wished I had left that one intact. I also rubberized/closed up the screen under the (always open) outside cowl vent to help keep water out since I was no longer using the oem vents. I'm finding on a hot day, after a longer drive, I get what feels like hot air coming out from under the dash. My OT engine gives off a LOT of external heat, even though it runs comparatively cool internally. Case in point......my 2 1/2 car garage temps will go up 10 degrees in an hour after I park the car in it after a long drive. I recently checked the cowl vs the hood temps after an hour's drive, and discovered the cowl was actually 12 degrees hotter than the hood! So, one of my next projects is to redo the closed off screen so the cowl can vent. Hopefully, that will rid me of the radiating heat from the cowl, and actually improve my A/C performance.
    I don't know what A/C system you have, but Vintage Air Gen IV is a "blend" system, and the only time the hot water is shut off is when the A/C is set on MAX. In addition to the system's electronic shut off valve, I also added an additional gate valve to the heater inlet line so I could shut off the hot water entirely when I wanted.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  25. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

When asked " What's that little door behind the hood for Grampa ? " = That's Factory Air !

26. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Ever suck in any bee's?

27. Not through the cowl vent because my Chevy has a screen. But I've had them come in the vent wings!

28. Yes sir, on the All Deuce Run on the way home a wasp got sucked in and was buzzing around while I was truing to get over on the side of the interstate, just as I was coming to a stop I got nailed in the right knee cap.:mad:

I also sucked in a June Bug but it was just a minor inconvenience.;) HRP

OLSKOOL57 and Petejoe like this.
  29. Country Joe

Country Joe

30. When you forget to close the vent the do leak like a sieve, don't they? HRP

OLSKOOL57, mgtstumpy and Country Joe like this.