Register now to get rid of these ads!

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by alanp561, Aug 16, 2020.

1. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been away for a few days and find I now have to log in. If I don't, all these advertisements show up. I'm not complaining about having to log in, just curious as to what brought it about?

2. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Dunno. I have had to log in ever since I came on board. No change here.

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

It does the same on my phone. I can comeback to this site about four times than have to log in again . Lap top stays signed in always.

alanp561 likes this.
  4. 54vicky

54vicky

possibly click remember me

flatford39 and alanp561 like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This^^^ On mine every time my laptop had a major update I had to long in again and click on remember me again.
    Or if the remember me wasn't clicked it logs you out when you close the page.

6. Never have that happen to me on iphone, maybe you have Android? One thing that always happens to me here, on the hamb, is that when I open the app on my phone I will start getting robocalls. Every time. I just ignore them. If you answer even one, there will be an endless stream of junk robocallers for two days.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Ryan doesn't like you...:rolleyes:

alanp561 likes this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Hey A,

There must be some kind of timer as to not participating in the HAMB topics or just scrolling through the posts. If the time period is over an 30 minutes to an hour without any keystrokes, the web seems to shut down your log in and makes a person log in again. The bank websites are faster yet. If the person is not using any of the tabs to open screens of varying topics, the website says it will shut down in 10 seconds. Then it makes you log on again.

So, if you go outside to water the plants, cut a few branches, add distilled water to your battery and come back to the HAMB, you will probably be logged out. Or, if someone comes to the front door and you are in the middle of looking at your list of bank transactions, the same thing will happen. You left the laptop open, then walk to the door to talk to your neighbor, the chances are that the bank will have gone back to a standard page and says you are timed out.

Personal preferences here, but why would anyone want to always be logged on to any website continually? If you log out or it is time out, then the server has less to worry about in laymen's terms. Less pressure on the everyday doings of getting the names on the log in list, check your "last seen" tab and others.

So, for me, it is not a problem to get logged off if I am away watering plants or taking a nap. That way, you remember your log on name and password, so the "old folks syndrome" does not make you go back to your list of passwords for various sites.

Jnaki

People who use phones and tablets have a whole different set of things that mysteriously happen. But, why would anyone want to see something on a 2 inch wide screen or 5 inch wide horizontal screen versus a large 15-17 inch laptop or 27-30" home computer monitor? I guess it is like those people who have a 60 inch TV, but watch movies on their phones or tablets...for what? I do not understand that mode.

Google and other search modes have the "remember me" mini screen that drops down every time someone logs on to a website. Just say no... The HAMB does remember how you logged in the last time and will give you an option to click that or re type. But, one must always type the password correctly or two other screens pop up to make you type better or use the correct password.

I have never understood why people must know when another person is logged on to any website. If someone clicks on "stay logged in" it does not matter if you are on a 7 day no computer/phone vacation getaway... you are still using up space and erroneous listings. Yes, some people want to know so they can ask a question. But, that question gets to the person if you use the @in front of their HAMB name. Also, some people just take longer to answer a question if at all.

My understanding is that the more we tax a website, the more problems will pop up. Perhaps that causes outages and those 404 screen pages.

9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@jnaki, Thanks for the explanation. It's just that I've never had it happen before on my PC. I don't mind logging back in but, I was really curious why all those ads were popping up and I had to log in to get rid of them.
    Alan

jnaki likes this.
  10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry for the hassle. That problem happens when your browser is out of memory. Here is how you can beat it:

1. Clear the cache and temporary internet files from your browsers memory.

2. Next time you login, click the "remember me" box.

After that, you will be good to go!

Thanks

lothiandon1940 and jnaki like this.
  11. I have been playing HAMB since '03 and logged in every time I have opened the HAMB.

The ads are a necessary evil. Got to keep the lights on somehow.

12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, I appreciate that.

lothiandon1940 likes this.