Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is it just me?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys36, Aug 11, 2020.

1. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Grew up using kerosene on a lot of mishaps while working in the shop.

Thor1 and Stogy like this.
  2. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Me too, should have years ago.

Thor1 and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just think about what we can get ourselves into now that the bicycles gone the Hotrods over there, the keys over there now if I can get to them and not trip on something getting to them...:D...Then you can get out on the Open Road where its safer...or is it?...:confused:. That was another Thread wasn't it...Is Driving the Hotrod Safer Than Wrenching on it In the Garage?...Yes...:D

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    Thor1 likes this.
  4. I usually catch myself on fire while welding. Stop for a minute and smell something burning and it is always me. All my coverall have severely burn holes in them. My wife tells me , why don't I brake down and buy new coveralls and throw those away. My response is that all of them are fairly new. I usually catch a new pair on fire in the first 2 or 3 wearings.
    Vic

Rickybop, Thor1, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  5. I specified NUISANCE injuries, not life threatening ones!!!!!!

trollst and Thor1 like this.
  6. I'm pretty good about not catching on fire welding. I typically do it grinding in tight places with the sparks aimed at my belly. Have a whole lot of white T-shirts with burn holes in the belly.

Lloyd's paint & glass and Thor1 like this.
  7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Safer to drive our cars than to work on them? I don't know, Stogy...
    The HAMB almost always has good information. But some of you said I could work on my car WHILE DRIVING IT.
    Almost killed myself.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  8. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Dont forget shock treatments. I am notorious for going barefoot. In the early 90s we were at a track in Preston MS. Right off 397. Busted a cross shaft on a Lincoln locker in a Chevy II. Final round. We are in. Borrow a guys Service truck and welder. The rear was junk and a 9 inch was waiting on the floor at the shop. Remove cover /brake clean /Gathered up all the pieces. This is about 1 AM. Early summer Dew has fallen. I rolled under to do the final surgery and prey. 1800$ was a lot of money back then and we were always the little guys. Now here is where it gets Funny kinda. I put my feet under me like I was praying. Should have been. And leaned my elbow on the housing. Welder is running and I remember asking for a 7018 rod. No insta flash helmets back then or not that we could afford. When I put the rod in the electrode end I remember hearing that damn Onan rpm drop and thinking the car had dropped on me. Finally got away from it and realized I had been hit by the welder. We all laughed it off. I rolled back under and finished it. By elbow was burned and my feet tingled for a while. Was it worth it. YEP we won. Ran dead on number. He broke out. We walked out with 1800$ when money was money.
    I’d probobly do it again. God loves crazy people and shock treatments were once used for treatment. I still gotta chance.

9. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Many years ago my wife bought a 68 Formula Firebird cheap (mid 70s) because every time turning left motor would cut off.
    So we drove to an empty parking lot one Sunday and I laid under hood while she made left hand donuts. Sure enough it was sputtering and popping as I pulled on wires until I held out distributor wire, it smoothed out.
    Insulation was worn through in one spot shorting out. Easy fix, she still has the car.
    Growing up Grandad next door was a doctor. He was always patching brother and I up. He said "You're guys...scars don't matter on a man".

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Thor1 likes this.
  10. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Masking tape is easier to remove later. Black electrical tape is better if you need to put pressure on it. And super glue will close a cut fast to stop the bleeding.

My grandfather treated all injuries with either salt water (ocean) or lacquer thinner.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sky Six and Thor1 like this.
  11. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I've never worked on any car or truck that I didn't walk away from it with some type of cut, busted knuckle, or scrape.

48fordnut and Thor1 like this.
  12. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Here's how the cauterizing happens. :D

Thor1 and Sky Six like this.
  13. 6sally6

6sally6

Anybody ever use "crazy glue" to close up cuts?! Works better than stitches I've been told.
    6sally6

Thor1 likes this.
  14. grumpy65

grumpy65

As far as I am aware, super-glue was used by the military for just that purpose. It helped save a lot of lives in Vietnam by helping to stop bleeding, which allowed much needed time to get the wounded back to base hospitals.

48fordnut and Thor1 like this.
  15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Sounds like a great excuse to buy a Tig !

Thor1 likes this.
  16. It is amazing now that we are older how we used to get bumps and bruises, but now we get skin tears and the accompanying bruise to go with them. I used to kid around by saying my wife beat me with a broom handle. I can't say that now as elder / spousal abuse is a serious problem. I go to kidney dialysis 3 days a week, and when the doctor comes to see us he always asks me how did I get the bruises this week.

Thor1 likes this.
  17. While stick building the roof trusses on our house addition I would commonly back into the last truss set and crack my head. My wife came up to help and observe and I warned her about the low trusses. It wasn't too long before she backed into one cracked her head and then she went back down the ladder.

Thor1 likes this.
  18. The older the skin the easier it tears.

48fordnut and warhorseracing like this.