Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frames painted with rustoleum LETS SEE THEM!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Apr 19, 2013.

1. indyjps

indyjps

Ill post again, its been 7 years.

If youre going for rustoleum, try to find valspar tractor enamel, about the same price per gallon or quart. Farm stores usually stock it.

Valspar hardener is about $7 a can and greatly improves rustoleum or valspar.

Any enamel reducer or any enamel hardener works fine, I've used different brands with no issues. Mixed in 15 year old reducer and hardener, it was fine.

Acetone can be used to reduce- its fast, mineral spirits, naphtha are both slower.

You can brush it if youre not set up to spray, a little reducer helps, use the mineral spirits or naptha if brushing along with hardener and it flows out very nice and smooth. Get some decent brushes for oil, not latex, big difference.

adam401 and Tim like this.
  2. Here's one I did.
    20150101_153917.jpg

mcsfabrication and Tim like this.
  3. Did this one with a brush
    20140726_150115.jpg

4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

On the spray bombs is it just me or since the original posts doesn't it seem that the amount of actual solids have really gone to hell in a can ?

Seems like it takes alot to get good even coverage anymore...

Tim likes this.
  5. indyjps

indyjps

Rustoleum from the quart or gallon is different paint than rattle cans.
    The rattle cans are garbage, paint and the tips. $5-7 / can and its likely you wont get half thru before the nozzle fails. $15 quart or $35/gallon and a spray gun or brush youre money ahead and will get a better product. Buy some acetone and valspar hardener and it will last a long time for other paint mixing.

6. mike bowling

mike bowling

Every car gets one coat red oxide primer and a coat of gloss black
    Rustoleum ( applied generously with a brush. IMG_2682.JPG

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

indyjps likes this.
  7. birdman1

birdman1

I used gloss black Rust-Oleum on my 1955 tbird frame and suspension. Brushed it on. 2 coats. Brushing applies much thicker coats.

8. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

"You can brush it if you're not set up to spray, a little reducer helps, use the mineral spirits or naptha if brushing along with hardener and it flows out very nice and smooth. Get some decent brushes for oil, not latex, big difference."

Rookie question. What's "...a little reducer" and or hardener? How much to use? I am doing a small job, just an axle housing. Mix hardener and reducer in JUST the quantity of paint I will be brushing?

9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I’m going to start painting my homemade trailer built for my single seater. I dumped quarts of what I had and came up with about a gallon, ends up being a marronish/mauve/brown color. Not the most attractive color but what the heck the metal will be protected. Maybe it will be a theft deterrent, no one will want a mauve trailer!

Cosmo49 likes this.
  10. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Thats some rough welding right there. My guess a good 1/3 of it doesn't have much penetration.

11. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep