Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Can I chop a 40 Merc coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Aug 15, 2020.

1. birdman1

birdman1

I have replaced car floors, rockers, quarter panels. Many times. But the job of chopping a '40 Merc coupe is "complicated". Lots of measuring and fitting. Is there a book or video that actually gives the exact places to cut and is a step by step instructions? I don't want to screw it up! Thanks for all your help.and no, I can't afford to pay someone to do it.

2. Check out all the sledge Kustoms posts. I think the place most would fail, is in making the new sail panels blend into the roof. This is one of those parts you may make a few times until it fit and looks correct. Cutting a roof and tack welding it in pace is easy. Finishing the metal work, making the A pillars and rear wind flow correct. Would take a few times to get it right. There are several post here you need to see how they done it and finished it.

3. Country Joe

Country Joe

There are just some cars that the roof lines are perfect right from the factory. A mercury coupe isn't one of them...Chop away & Good Luck!

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Someone I know thought they could chop a 47 Chevy coupe. After the chop and approximaely 50# of mud it still looked like shit. Good luck.

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

There are no definite plans for this sort of thing because of the variables involved. How much looks good to you in subjective. Also, cars like the Matranga Merc had the windshield opening enlarged after the chop but lots of other cars did not. Do you have an English wheel? Otherwise, you need lots of slits in the "C" pillars to line things up. How about a reverse curve where the roof meets the deck? There are lots of ways to mess this up. When done well, it looks great but seeing where you are going is something else.

6. Jibs

Jibs

Please do, its one of the worst roofs ever.

7. 40 Merc's do have a odd shaped top and that makes them one of the more difficult to chop and make look right.
    Do a lot of research before you just start cutting.

Mick

8. birdman1

birdman1

Maybe a Carson top? Thanks for all your advice.

9. williebill

williebill

Sorry, but if 6 posts about the difficulty of a 40 Merc roof is enough to now make you be thinking about a Carson top instead, then you might need to "seek professional help" before getting out the saw.
    I'm not saying to jump right in, guns blazing, but you don't undertake a job like this without a few late nights staring at the ceiling, and making your imaginary cuts as you fall asleep, especially if you've never chopped a car before.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. greener200

greener200

What Williebill said ,see it , create it . Goodluck !

11. If in doubt, don't.

kidcampbell71 and belair like this.
  12. You could make it a convertible, just whack the top off.:eek:

13. birdman1

birdman1

I was joking about the Carson top, although they do have their place

14. Anything you do to a '40 Merc top will be an improvement.

15. oldsman41

oldsman41

Buy a cheap junker and chop it to get some insight on the procedures,it doesn’t have to be a classic a junker Kia will do. Make your mistakes there and improve your technique,just my 2 cents

16. Johnny99

Johnny99

Yes! Like you have surmised not an easy chop but when done right, outstanding! Nick-matranga-1940-mercury3.jpg

kidcampbell71, 47chevycoupe and 56don like this.
  17. junkman8888

junkman8888

September 1999 Street Rodder/October 1999 Street Rodder has a great article on chopping a 40 Merc. "Matranga style". Work was done by Bill Hines, sail panel patch panels were cut from a junk '40 Ford deck lid. Hope that helps.

Kato Kings, lurker mick and The37Kid like this.
  18. The37Kid

The37Kid

1939-Mercury-Coupe.jpg
    Not a car I ever gave much thought to, but understand why you would want to do something to that roof.
    Bob