Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever buy a tool "just because..."

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by atch, Aug 15, 2020.

1. cfmvw

cfmvw

I have a number of tools that I have used only once, but there is a certain security in knowing that you have one in case you should ever need it again...

Truckdoctor Andy and clem like this.
  2. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Have 2 of everything lots unused. When my dad passed I inherited his tools. He had at least 2 of everything. Along with at least 20 of every nut bolt and screw known to man.

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a tool that I use all the time in my shop. You've been missing out, if you do any sheet metal work. It also cuts round stock. Look for the little hole.

4. I am fortunate that there are 3 auction houses within 35 minutes of my house. When they put tools into cut down cardboard boxes, they auction them off pretty cheap. I have bought some of the cardboard boxes of tools for $ 3-5. Usually I just want one tool in the box, but how can't you buy the box full when it is so cheap.

seb fontana likes this.
  5. Nope. Every tool I've ever bought was used right away. I've never been one to 'collect' anything. From the Bridgeport to the 1/4" Snap on socket set, and everything in between, it's getting used right now, or it will be used soon, and I buy only new or used quality tools. I figured spending money on 'maybe, someday, or I might need...' tools was just money taken away from my builds. To me, having anything just sitting on the shelf 'new in the box' is just taking up my cash and build space.

clem likes this.
  6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too. It's getting to the point, that before I buy anything, I go through my "stash" to make sure I don't already have one. (That doesn't work all the time, either.)

seb fontana likes this.
  7. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not necessarily, but I made lunch money for years following my hands around, checking their work and picking up their tools they left behind on the job. I'd have a desk drawer full of tools and they knew I'd sell them 'replacements'
    for half the price of new....and I knew who not to loan company tools to.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

My brother is a tool.

Guthrie1068 and seb fontana like this.
  9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I use my phone app decibel reader

10. fordflambe

fordflambe

It's sad to admit it but my shop is stocked with more tools than most local mechanic shops. I have been a "tool collector" my entire life and all of my local hot rod buddies know where to go to borrow tools (fortunately, they all take care of my tools when on loan and normally return them promptly).

11. mark latham

mark latham

Shoot, the only reason I work on cars is to have an excuse to buy tools.

12. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I've had a cable "come-a-long", still wrapped in plastic, on a shelf in my shop for several years. I wouldn't have bought it unless I needed it for something but I have no idea what I thought I needed it for.

Gary

seb fontana and Irish Mike like this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've bought a few that I used once and put in a drawer. Usually some odd size or something you don't run across often. Anything I buy gets used, have never bought something and not used it.

14. atch

atch

That's just it. I don't normally do sheet metal work. I knew, though, when I bought it that someday I'd be cutting patch panels for Clarence. I really thought that it would happen sooner than now though.

rockable likes this.
  15. mark latham

mark latham

I'm currently active duty military but I did get out for a while and from 95 to 03 I turned wrenches for a living. Most likely will go back to it when I retire in 2 or 3 years so I work on my own stuff and friends and try to stay current. That means, like most of the guys on here, my tool boxes are full of tools the average hobbyist wouldn't have.
    I have a 6 point box end 14mm wrench that I vaguely remember calling the Snap On man for about 25 years ago.
    IMG_2362.JPG
    Clearly I have plenty of 14 mm and 9/16 wrenches, I don't know why I needed that wrench. Since its not in a set it lives in the loose wrench drawer and gets beat up more than the wrenches in sets but I don't remember the last time I used it. IMG_2359.JPG
    I recently bought this Sunex low profile socket and ratchet set and it is nice, every combination of socket and ratchet is at least a 1/4 inch shorter than the equivalent in any other socket and ratchet. Of course a wrench will do the same thing. IMG_2363.JPG
    The new rear disk brake cars with the parking brake built into the caliper rather than under a hat in the rotor are a pain in the ass. But it means I get a new tool.
    IMG_2364.JPG I had to have this logic probe when it first came out. I love it, and I've never used it.
    IMG_2365.JPG
    I'll never use this.
    IMG_2366.JPG
    Had this for over 20 years, might have used it once or twice.
    IMG_2367.JPG
    The 5/16" works great to get to the bolt above the axle to drain the oil on 39mm Harley (showa) forks, the rest, decoration.
    IMG_2368.JPG
    Conversation piece.
    IMG_2371.JPG
    I'm excited about doing the timing belt on my wife's car so I can use this to install the cam seals.
    IMG_2370.JPG
    Back to that low profile socket set; I just remembered, I had the front shock bottom bracket bolt back out on my 56 Ford a while back so I ran a nut down from the top to act as a jam nut and the top of the sockets are made to take a wrench. I was able to get the socket in and use a wrench through the spring to tighten it up, it works great for weird jobs like that.

VANDENPLAS, Okie Pete, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  16. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Sort of a tool...
    I just bought a high powered (2800 psi) air rifle (bullpup) for no reason..!

Mike

fordflambe likes this.
  17. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I'm taking the fifth, better half might see this.

VANDENPLAS and Okie Pete like this.
  18. cfmvw

cfmvw

I used to know a guy whose garage was so disorganized and cluttered that he would often go buy a new tool because it was easier than trying to find the one he had.

19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

What's a "Craftsman spin ratchet"?

I'm familiar with Craftsman tools, is this a special kind of ratchet?

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've a couple of these, they come in handy every now and again
    upload_2020-8-17_8-29-41.png

VANDENPLAS, 302GMC, Okie Pete and 4 others like this.
  21. Fordors

Fordors

Thanks for that ^^^
    I bought a lot of Craftsman in my younger days, never heard of or saw one before.

mgtstumpy and seb fontana like this.
  22. I would love to have a Craftsman Spin Ratchet in my collection, but they are very expensive now. I can only guess that Sears never sold many?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. I bought a scroller attachment for a bench mount bender because I have a friend who's artsy and had talked about scrolling. I told her that when ever she was ready, I'd get it out and we'd make up what she needed. That might be 10 years now. LOL. The rest get used, some not often. The lathe, mill, welder and tubing bender as well as the sheet metal equip. are always being used.

24. flatford39

flatford39

I am about to because of this thread...I could certainly use a bench top shear.

25. flatford39

flatford39

There is an app for that now.

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If you have a modern phone.

51504bat likes this.
  27. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Never seen one of those spin ratchets, have to look for one now.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Several years ago a buddy (who will never hesitate to buy a tool which he needs regardless of the cost) was in Harbor Freight with some extra money burning a hole in his pocket. He bought a mortising machine on sale which he has never used. It still sits on his work bench taking up valuable space. He says he leaves it there to remind him to think before he buys something on an impulse that he has no use for and will never ever use. As he says, a good deal on something you don't need isn't a deal.

29. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will buy something for a single use. Last motor I built I bought a cam bearing tool. Why? I could get the tool for not much more than a machine shop would charge to do it, I would be able to do it in the future when I needed to, and I didn't have to haul the block around and wait a week for somebody to do it for me. I'll probably only build two or three more engines in my life, but this is one more thing I can do myself.

30. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Where would I start? No tools unused, but way too mzny one use only. Don't tell my wife. Have to keep some secrets after 40 years