Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 283 Missfire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thepartsbinguy1, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

95ACFEC6-9A25-4E81-B90E-ECEC048E03DB.jpeg Got the $75 283 in the Jeep.. 650dp is the only carb at the moment I have to use. valves were reset following the firing order then a quarter turn. Plugs gapped to .35 fat blue spark. Found the vacuum advance can wasn’t doing anything at all replaced the can with a working can. Found pump shot springs way to tight. Adjusted out till there was an instant stream when moving the throttle. Even with the points it starts at the flick of the key. Vacuum gauge reads 18 at a very smooth 750rpm idle. Quick jab of the throttle and the needle goes straight to 2 and then jumps to 21. This engine almost runs perfectly just when i step on it there is a stutter that just will not go away? Compression tester is on the way.

2. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Check float levels. floats set too low will cause this.

3. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

I had both covers the off and the floats out. Then on each side took the jets out and removed the outside jets to give everything a good cleaning. When i put it all back together I did tweak each float level to just below even with the bole. I’ll reset the levels and let you know thanks!

4. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

Two sets of points two condensers wouldn’t run at all with the third set of points... buddy gave me an electronic distributor he could never get working right. Dropped that in and timed everything and it fired up instantly. Got onto the road and the pedal was on the floor for awhile. Did not skip a single beat. Gonna put the vacuum gauge back on it and look for a timing light.

5. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

I gapped the plugs to .45 after realizing I gapped them for points new plugs showed slightly white at 1-1/2 turns out. New plugs two and a quarter turns out and slightly raise the floats. Plugs are now a nice caramel color. Engine runs very smooth and has loads of power. seems to rev endlessly so that’s fun

AHotRod likes this.
  6. Mimilan

Mimilan

I had the same issue with our 283, It wouldn't fire at all.
    2 new sets of points, and condensers [no luck]

In the end we scavenged the old OEM condenser out of the trash, and it ran smoothly!