Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Winters Sidewinder shifter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Greasyman, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Greasyman

Greasyman

I've noticed the Winters Sidewinder comes in all sorts of shift patterns, but none of them include "Drive". Why would that be? Does that me that even with an entirely stock transmission that you are forced to shift manually?

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  2. 3 is drive

loudbang and Texas Webb like this.
  3. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I used one of these in the truck I built for Hot Rod Drag Week. They work just like any other shifter. If you move the lever to the 3 position, it is the same as drive. I like the shifter and it was cheaper than others that do basically the same thing. If you plan to pass tech at a racing event you need to order the one that has the additional lift to unlock feature. This prevents the shifter from moving out of park and reverse with out lifting this sliding spool located under the shift knob. You can retro fit this feature later, like I did, but it is much cheaper to order the one with this initially.

loudbang and Texas Webb like this.
  4. Greasyman

Greasyman

Thanks guys. It's been so long since I've owned a car with an auto other than the hot rod, which doesn't have any markings on the shifter, that I forgot that sometimes 3 is used in place of D. Seems most of the cars I owned had D.
    I'm really looking forward to getting the Winters. Seems everyone who's owned one has liked them, and they are sturdy, simple, and fun to slam around.

5. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Turbo Action Cheetah is the same shifter, but with a T-handle and T-trigger for the lock-out if you'd rather have that than just a ball handle.

That design is a great, durable shifter, you're right about that.

if you want to see something really cool and just as rugged, look at Kilduff shifters.

egads, loudbang and Kevin Ardinger like this.
  6. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

I personally think that is the best shifter out there. Nothing to go wrong. Like Eric said, cheetah is basically the exact same.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

egads and loudbang like this.
  7. gene-koning

gene-koning

They are great shifters, but if you have a Mopar OD trans, (mine was a 46re) expect to have to modify the linkage and brackets for it to work. The info they provide says it works, but that is BS.

Once I engineered the brackets and made another bracket to hold the Mopar kickdown cable, it was great (as long as you didn't want to manually pull the shift lever into low gear, you got either low, or park, not both). Gene

loudbang likes this.