Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Cost Shipping car from Canada to US ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gr8rods, Aug 14, 2020.

1. gr8rods

gr8rods

I about to buy a car in Canada
    Still have US title
    Car is running
    What is the pitfalls about bringing a car over the boarder ? Anyone have experience and would like to share ?
    What paper is needed ?
    What fees are involved ?
    Ie Entry bond fees ?
    Custom handling frees ?

My regular transport broker did not want to deal with it. Told me to tell the seller to bring the car over to US side and he wound pick it up there ...

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. 2935ford

2935ford

I have sold cars both ways across the border (pre covid days).

The last time because it was two cars and the dollar amount a broker was needed and expenses were incurred that the buyer was willing to pay. Paperwork can be confusing but with the help of the broker is not that bad.

It is fairly simple if the car can be driven into the US from Canada. All that is necessary is a bill of sale and title/registration and off you go but with the restrictions now I'm not sure how that works getting entry into the US?

So a check with US Customs would be advised

3. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

Carefull asking us customs because you have the title ,they will want to know how its in canada . I would call a broker. The last cars i sold to USA the guys just drove to border ,one was trailered . No issues at all .coming into canada requires a broker now

4. The best thing to do is have the Seller deliver the car to a US border crossing stateside.

Jim

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

I once made the mistake of buying a Canadian registered car at the NSRA Nationals in Louisville, Kentucky. I had the registration and the signed title by the Canadian owner. When I went to register the car in Kentucky the DMV refused to register it as I had no US Customs inspection documentation. At first a US Customs agent told me I had to take the car back to a Canadian/US boder check point and get the required documentation. I knew that wasn't going to happen and contacted the US Customs Headquarters in Washington, DC and explained the predicament. Fortunately the airport in Louisville, Kentucky is a International facility staffed by US Customs who inspected the car and provided me the required documents. All the inspection consisted of was checking the VIN # on the car against the title. The correct way is to buy the car in Canada and bring it through US Customs border check point who inspects the car and provides the required US Customs documentation. I lived and learned.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    5window and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. You cannot cross the border unless you are an essential worker. I am pretty sure driving a car across the border to sell it or vice versa is not going to be considered an essential service and will not be allowed. This is not going to be an easy task at this point in time.
    Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    5window likes this.
  7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

^^^Yep, today the border restrictions were extended to Sept. 21. Call US Customs, explain what you have in mind (including which border crossing will be used) and see what they advise. Have your ducks in order.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Getting across the border is a pain in the butt right now.

Some of the guys in BC buy/sell cars back and forth all the time and their answers are probably what you need to go by.

9. Non essential travel is not going to happen. Do not even think that you are a exception. You are going to be turned back. Not worth the trouble at this time.
    Vic

10. toml24

toml24

I don't believe I can leave the state of California for any reason without going into quarantine for 14 days.

12. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Here is a link to the US Customs website section about importing cars to the US. Note there is a paragraph partway down the page that touches on re-importing a car that was originally in the US. https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

There are other websites out there that may be helpful, just Google on "importing a car from Canada." One other I found was a section on the Hagerty insurance website: https://www.hagerty.com/media/archived/how-to-import-a-car-from-canada-to-the-us/

PoTaToTrUcK likes this.
  13. 5window

5window

That should probably be the rule all the time!! :)

Just Gary likes this.
  14. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

I live two miles from the border crossing and there are dozens of cars heading south every week, thanks to they strength of the US dollar. This having a US title should even be easier.
    Covid does not stop it from crossing the border. Your shipper will pick it up in Canada and do about 30 minutes of paperwork at the crossing and then bring you the car. If you come up, that is a whole different story that includes 14 day quarantine. You need to call US customs for the real story and not rely on some of the half-baked dribble that two bitters toss in, I recommend a quality shipper (I used TFX International my last purchase) that does all the broker work for you and then enjoy your purchase.
    I assisted in a Contineneal Mk II sale earlier this month and the whole process was 5 days, from money arriving, shipper (Reliable) picking it up and it was across the border.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    Bill's Auto Works and 1946caddy like this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER