Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '51 Mild Custom shoebox coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Tony Ray, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

That’s where I got the idea!! It’s a great article! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Big A likes this.
  2. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

just to avoid confusion, and since it seems alot of shoebox guys are both in the Facebook Group, Kustom Shoebox Ford Library, that I run, and follow my build here on the HAMB, I asked Ryan to switch my handle from Pipes to Tony Ray. Makes it a little easier to follow!

3. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw that; I've always had trouble keeping my aliases straight too so don't feel bad lol

Tony Ray likes this.
  4. I have to go look at my poster in the post office to see what name I'm using this week.

Tony Ray likes this.
  5. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Picked up a 54 ford grille I’m planning to modify to use in mine and a set of 55 Lincoln hubcaps , oh also found a 73 maverick 8 inch rear for $100.00 IMG_0395.JPG IMG_0368.JPG IMG_0635.JPG IMG_0335.JPG so I pounced on that . Decided to take out the 9 inch and run the maverick rear so I can put my 51 merc skirts on!.. not a lot getting done but gathering a bunch of parts..

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

spiffy1937, brEad, slim38 and 4 others like this.
  6. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Got to spend a little time working on the coupe.. now you see it..
    [​IMG]
    Now ya don’t
    [​IMG]
    Setting the 50 merc surround in just to get an idea..

7. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

[​IMG]

8. ART 323436

ART 323436
    from Oakley ca

8B04712F-ADC2-4E39-95EC-D64434E569F9.jpeg 20774D82-4436-4473-B6DA-5099381EA1A7.jpeg CF17E1A5-5901-4981-B437-5120FDC46DCC.jpeg
    Doing a great job like the look , this is one of mine , 302 , AOD , 9 inch . The other one looks like we’re you started.

OzMerc39, Tony Ray, brEad and 5 others like this.
  9. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Got a little something in the mail for a little wheeling and dealing.. haven’t decided if I’m going to use it or not, though with the merc grille surround I probably won’t.. but I’ll hold on to it for a little bit just in case.. Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG

10. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I normally try not to promote my FB group or the shirts, but the guy that does the design just blew me away with the Series 4 shirt. One of my absolute favorite cars ever is on it, and I’m super excited how it turned out so I thought I’d share..Eric Henderson’s 51 hardtop convertible. It’s car that I hope one day mine will look half as nice as.. IMG_2866.JPG
    Eric’s 51 convertible hardtop shoebox

IMG_3087.JPG IMG_3102.JPG

11. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yeah, it's a looker!!!

Thor1 likes this.
  12. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

One more piece to the puzzle, checked off the list.. been looking for 52-54 ford front fender wheel lips for a while.. ended up getting a set for 50 bucks plus shipping.. one has a little bit of surface rust, the other was cut in half but great shape should be easily fixed![​IMG][​IMG]
    Also got one set of 53 merc bumper guard/bullets, from Tony Gomes, owner of “The Capri”! I’m think I almost have all the parts I need besides the wiring harness and trim, and a few odds and ends. Looking forward to getting my car over to Mark at Customs by Flash!
    [​IMG]

13. catdad49

catdad49

Like pieces in a puzzle, it’s all coming together!

Thor1 and Tony Ray like this.
  14. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, one more step down the road. People don't know what patience is until they start a custom build or restoration. But damn, is it ever worth it when you finish up, stand back and say "I built that!"

Thor1, Hombre and Tony Ray like this.
  15. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

It’s amazing when I think of it how different this is from muscle cars. When I built my 68 mustang 30 years ago it was just repair body and build engine and trans.. with this 51 coupe, the body is in really good condition and yet its little things like getting hood peaks made, fender wheel lips, and tons of other little modifications that seems so much more then just patch panels and then paint.. can’t say I mind though.. the thrill of the hunt and score of parts just to get that certain look is something I am enjoying!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  16. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

And now I got the front set of dagmar for it!!, thanks to another member of the KSFL! Now I need to decide if I’m going to run the stock 51 bumpers or do the 51 Chevy ones like Jr Conways..
    [​IMG][​IMG]

OzMerc39, brEad, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  17. I like where this is goin. Lookin good

Tony Ray and Thor1 like this.
  18. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Junior's car did not use Chevy bumpers. He had a '49 or '50 Ford front, Smoothed by Sam Barris. The rear was off a '49 Ford, no outer bumper bolts

Tony Ray likes this.
  19. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Thanks! I had thought I read that he did, now I’m feeling like an ass for messaging Jivin Jer about it!

Thor1 likes this.
  20. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I went back through my notes and found out that on the Kustomrama site it was listed as reshaped 51 Chevy bumpers. I know I had seen that somewhere.. so not losing my mind!! But they do look like they could be 49-50 fords.. I shot Jiv Jerry a message about it. Hopefully he can clarify it for me.

Thor1 likes this.
  21. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Tony, looked back at the Kustomrama site and you were right it does say that but they are not correct. I like where your going with your shoebox. I'am doing the Merc bullets on mine as well

Thor1 and Tony Ray like this.
  22. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

yup now i got to start looking for 50 ford bumpers! Thanks for pointing that out!! Couldnt figure why they just didnt look right but i figured it was my eyes playing tricks on me!

Thor1 likes this.
  23. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Well I had a little money stashed away that apparently started burning a hole in my pocket.. ended up picking up this 52 Mercury accessory wheel for 350.00. It was this or some lake pipes.. I always wanted to try fixing up a wheel and I think this is a pretty cool one. So the wheel won out! IMG_4293.JPG

24. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

So it starts.. next weekend I’m taking the coupe to Chopold’s shop, Customs by Flash in Howell, NJ..Figured it would save some time and money if we took out the motor and trans, since the engine compartment needs redoing.. it may also get something different if it all works out..[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  25. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

And so it begins...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

26. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

So Saturday got my coupe to the shop, really didn’t get to do much at all to it besides get it unloaded. Went back Sunday and started taking off all the trim, door handles, window regulators and latches along with the chrome piece above grille and bumper. Had some help from Jersey Mike who showed up in his beautiful chopped shoebox.. man he drives the hell out of that thing! Took a few pics of Mikes shoebox.. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

27. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

It's a well known fact that 51 club coupes are the most desirable cars on earth. Lol.
    20201129_163916.jpg

28. Hombre

Hombre

Thank Goodness that statement is not true! There are one of the greatest cars no doubt about that, lets just hope no body else finds out about them.

29. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Here's a wild one that resides in my town. Alan Reason's 1950 Ford, Utopia. I Bumped into the owner Tom one day while in my shoebox. Still trying to get over for a visit and see his stuff....
    20201230_183928.jpg

30. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Went to the shop today and Mark( Chopolds on here) had made up the rings to French the taillights on my coupe and had one side done by the time I came in . I started stripping the paint off as he worked on the other one. It’s amazing how solid the coupe is. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]