Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical O/T? possible brake caliper issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, Aug 14, 2020.

1. So this is possibly off topic being that its a disc brake set up. If it gets deleted, then so be it, But it might be helpful for someone else later.

I have a car that has a clunking inner brake pad. the pads (No. 85) ride on pins so there's no little clip or anything holding the pad to the piston. With the brakes released, the caliper piston, in my opinion, is releasing a little more than it should. Its not keeping the pad ever so slightly against the rotor, so that little bit of free play is allowing the pad to rock back and forth (not in and out) in the bracket.

the whole install has less than 300 miles on it. Doesn't mean there wasn't a bad part out of the box.

I'm kind of at a loss on this one. Any thoughts?

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Possible Girling calipers? We used to get a little plastic packet of red (or blue) "anti chatter" fluid to press onto the back of the pads. In 4 to 6 hours, the stuff hardened like 'shiny bondo'... Nary a sound out of the pads after that! (literally glued the pad to the piston...Good, as it was in a 'captive' environment. Good till the next brake service.

3. squirrel

squirrel

you're probably missing some hardware.

Take a picture or two of the caliper, so we can see what you have. Is it a D85 pad?

hardware.JPG

4. theboss20

theboss20

You can actually glue the inner pad to the piston to stop that issue...or you can use the springs from ballpoint pens or equivalent to push the pad back on the pins. Some calipers had a hardware kit that provided something to lock the pad. You can tell if the piston is receding too far if you have to pump the brake pedal to engage the brakes...if you don’t have to pump the pedal then the piston is not receding to far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. I quit using the glue for my day to day work years ago, but i still have a bottle on the bench. Never even thought to use it. The pedal on the car has been characteristically low, but no need to pump. They work fine. the system has been bled and bled again. the right side keeps light contact with the rotor, the left side has a couple thou of clearance which is allowing the pad to rock in the bracket when the car is rolling. as soon as you step on the pedal, it goes right away.

That looks like the hardware. the calipers, I believe, are off a '69 fury. I'll have to put it back on the rack and pull it apart to look at it. I don't recall seeing those little 'clips' anywhere.