Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buying in Mexico

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studog51, Aug 13, 2020.

1. How do you safely buy a car from Mexico? Is there a service ?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Trying to buy without getting burned

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. flatford39

flatford39

There's a hamber here called sled that buys car from Mexico all the time. I would try to look him up.

studog51 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Thx

5. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Curious, are you interested in American cars, Imports or cars not normally available in the USA?

6. I happened to find a early ford I want to buy and my buddy buys European cars whenever and wherever he can

7. Afraid to wire money and not get a car

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't wire money for a car down there unless I was wiring it to someone I knew and trusted who could make the deal.
    My future son in law has a lot of family down there but I'm not sure that he trusts some of them enough to send money to them to buy something for him.

A lot of workers here in the valley buy vehicles and take them to Mexico when they go back when the season is done. I remember years ago when most of what they bought were straight six pickups with a manual trans and if it had electronic ignition they changed it to points. That was 30 something years ago when I was working in a parts house and sold them a lot of parts. I've never heard of any of them bringing a car up here to drive or sell though.

studog51 likes this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’m with Mr48, I see a lot of them going to central and South America, never heard of many coming back. Before they quit making the air cooled VW bugs in Mexico, there was a company that would buy them and swap everything onto a older Bug pan. The Mexico bugs weren’t legal to import and drive here, didn’t meet safety and epa standards. Supposedly they were sold as rebuilt using the old pan serial numbers. Don’t know if you’d run into anything like that or not since you are talking about pre epa and safety standards stuff, but importing stuff can get funny and hard.

studog51 likes this.
  10. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Pm magoozi he will have your answers

studog51 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Thx for the info guys, I agree it’s a scary idea to send money there

12. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Once upon a time I would be up for a road trip. Now? I don't need that much adventure.

brEad, belair, MO54Frank and 3 others like this.
  13. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I saw many smashed but still driveable cars being driven across the border going into Mexico thru El Paso when I was down that way in 2014/15.
    Probably fix them down there and then drive them bad and sell them...

14. rusty valley

rusty valley

theres lots of early fords here in the USA. most likely one you can drive to and look at. no recent experience here, but back in the 80's into the 90's i rode my BMW motorcycle around the entire coastline twice, zig zagged thru the center once, and one trip down into Belize and Guatemala. believe me, if you have ever seen a car repair joint down there you dont want to buy one. they have no access to real parts, so make it go down the road with what ever it takes. another example for fun, not mexico, but i bought 3 vintage BMW bikes from Estonia once. my neighbor is from Finland. back in about 90 or so, when Estonia got independence from Russia, the country was for the first time since WW2 open for tourist. a Finnish friend of my neighbor was going in at the beginning and buying WW2 indians and harleys for food! they had been thru several different currency changes and did not trust money, but you could buy an old bike for a couple sacks of potatos. well as you may guess, that didnt last long, and we paid good money for the five bikes we brought back. 4 WW2 army r12's, and one 1939 DKW 200?. the DKW was the biggest selling bike before the war, and the story is the the americans stole the blueprints for "war reparations" , and thats where the harley hummer came from, they look exactly alike. so...back on topic... the first bemmer had one rod welded together, and two different pistons . another, had the knee pads on the gas tank carved out of wood!. you really couldnt tell untill you looked close. nicely carved "grip"pattern, like a pistol grip, what ever its called, i forget, but really a good job...winters are long i suspect. it also had something wrong with the emblems on the tank. they looked really good, just something not right . studying some of our other bikes we found that the emblem was rotated 90 degrees. the bemmer emblem is supposed to represent an airplane propeller in motion, real ones are nice porcelain, these were stamped in a home made die with the proper raised portions, very good job by Boris, but not right. it came to be our joke, "look what Boris did here!". sorry for the long rant, hope it provided some entertainment at least, but dont buy a fuckin car from mexico unless you are going to get it your self, and i dont recommend that either in the fucked up world we live in now

15. rusty valley

rusty valley

still on my mind, so i'm back. some more history, back in the 60's and 70's many of the reproduction ford parts available were from Argentina. the stuff was absolute junk. one of the main importers was "ricks" antique auto. still sometimes see new bags of ricks junk at swap meets. dont buy it. so, the point is thats the kind of crap that probably kept your car alive thru the years. supposedly the parts were made because Argentina still had a demand as the old cars were still on the road. dont have facts about that, but really, buy a ford here in the USA

16. fordpatina

fordpatina

Reno casasola in mexico df sled

17. For some reason I would be cool with getting interior work done in TJ. But the whole thing of Mexico and sending some money for and old Ford? No way man! What model of car are you looking for? The chances of a bad internet deal vs finding something in States. I would go find something in the states. If you find a 32-34 Ford in any condition. Cheaper than the average price in the US. It a mostly likely a scam. In fact if you search hard enough you find that scam that got a lot people. Where they had found a fake barnfind of old Fords down south.

long story short unless you are there with cash... even them some of the nicer cars that have made it down South. Well how do you run the number to see if they are legit when titling I’m the US

Just move on and day dream about cars you can’t buy in the US.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Lil32 likes this.
  18. Day dream about cars I can’t buy ?
    Haha ok..... thx for your valuable insight...... reached out to sled, we shall see

19. I knew a guy..he had good luck buying stuff in mexico.....Oh, wait .....cars?.......uhh, never mind, sorry.

Packrat likes this.
  20. Reached out to sled ....... no response
    Might be out buying cars.....,
    Anyone else brokering car sales down in Mexico???

21. Just send the cash...What could go wrong?

studog51, kidcampbell71 and MO54Frank like this.
  22. Or go down there in person with tens of thousands of dollars in cash. What could go wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

studog51 and Irish Mike like this.
  23. utahdodge

utahdodge

I have good, trustworthy friends in a couple of states down there. Which state are you looking at?

24. Veracruz