Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is it just me?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys36, Aug 11, 2020.

1. williebill

williebill

Torn up pieces of paper towels, and Gorilla tape. You can leave it on for days.

bobss396, Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  2. mountainman2

mountainman2

I have multiple scars where that little button on top of the cap hit first and transmitted the concentrated force to my fragile scalp. :(

chryslerfan55, X38, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  3. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

My hands and forearms are constantly nicked, cut and scraped. Most of the time I don't even realize it until I start leaking, my skin doesn't seem to be as tough as it used to be...

Thor1 and Stogy like this.
  4. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

And none of us has mentioned the arthritis in our hands and fingers!!!!

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

I have one of those hanging on the wall. It is a nice big one, with lots of stuff in it. I think its probably from the last century. I doubt there is much stuff in it that is any good any more.

I think there is a new replacement first aid kit in the cupboard, its still wrapped in the plastic. Its probably only 10 years old.... Might be a valuable collectors item now....

The paper towels are only about a week old, and a fresh new clean towel is right there on the roll. The electrical tape is older, but not as old as the first aid kits, and it still sticks to the paper towel just fine.

The injury is usually covered until it stops dripping all over the place and forms a scab. Serious injuries require a ride to the ER, fortunately, those have been few and far between. Gene

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It sucks I know but we should wash the wounds instead of letting rust and who knows what heal into the wounds...

I always believe especially with the crap in the air these days open wounds are like open doors into ones bloodstream...obviously anything's better than nothing...at a minimum clean the wound before you Bounty...;)

7. I have two big boxes of 1"cloth Bandaids in my shop and spray everything down with Bactine before going to bed.

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

" nuisance wounds"
    Good name for 'em... the small minor wounds that can surprisingly hurt like hell... usually, worse the next day. A nuisance, trying to use our fingers and thumbs that got hurt yesterday. You working with plywood? I think the slivers are worse because of the glue. I started wearing gloves, too. It helps a lot. Especially when handling wood.

I knew some of you guys were going to start sharing gory boo-boo stories. Scrolling through your posts and I saw the word "razor blade". Keep scrolling. I slowed down barely enough to see some raw flesh. Yikes!

I hate getting hurt. I hate seeing others get hurt. Even the thought of it.
    It's been I said before... we're not in a safe hobby.
    Everybody please be careful!
    All the time.

9. gene-koning

gene-koning

Yea, OK, you sound like my wife, who happens to be a retired nurse.

The bleeding washes the stuff out of the wound, after which point the goal was to get it to stop from running out of my body and save a little blood for the other stuff blood does. I've been doing this for years, and one day it will probably catch up with me, at which point I'll probably regret doing it this way for years. My body has built up quite an immune system, I can't remember the last time I've had any kind of infection. Experience teaches you things, I've done this enough that I know when its time to take more serious steps.
    Until the cay my history catches up with me, I will keep working in the garage, and wrap small wounds with a paper towel and electrical tape. Gene

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Again the goal is prevent accidents as much as possible so you don't need paper towel fixes...the job can still be fun with a pair of suitable gloves...:confused:...Oh yeah...sounds like wife...:eek:...I get Traditional Garage is a tough one to change...be careful Gene...;)

I'll miss you all when your gone whatever the nemesis...

Here's another way of looking at it, I am not saying to spacesuit up for the duration of the time in the garage...just for example wear appropriate gloves for that part of the job that lacerated flesh and when your done put them on the bench...

Man Ratfinks T-shirt around the grinder was scary...heck lots were scary...garage+man=:eek:...maybe...;)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  11. I'm pretty careful. I mostly work alone in my shop and being careful is a must. If no one is around when the car falls on top of me, it's going to be a real struggle lifting it off of myself. :(

Seriously though, I've pushed my hand into the wire wheel more times than I can count, stuck myself with a turning drill bit, pushed my thumb into a moving bandsaw blade and a whole lot of other things. I've never been bad enough to want to go to the emergency room, although paper towel and electrical tape have saved me from stitches a couple of times.

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sharp Instrument-Hotrod Safety Bulletin

20181031_221339.jpg

:rolleyes:...Don't be a Pumpkin...

Where your Gloves Hoodlums

;)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  13. 500caddy

500caddy

I can trip over a mark on the floor. I have a lot of bruises on my shins and I’ve banged my head more than once

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rotating Wire brushes = Safety Glasses/Faceshield and perhaps mask and gloves but in a Shop, gloves and rotating machines are not always the recommended option...for example Honing Machines...that may have changed because bathing skin in circulated reused honing oil can't be good...

Here's a good one...keep your cellphone or a walkie talkie when your alone...it may save your life...Hambers...

These Threads are good for all of us, have a safe day tomorrow Hambers...

Try to prevent a wound and still have a Righteous Hotrod/Custom Day...no more...no less...and make sure you celebrate your less bloody and painful day admiring what you did with a beverage of choice...;)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  15. A long time ago I got a real nasty paper cut writing out a check to cover the (1mile over the speed limit) fine, court costs, towing and impound fees and what must have been the judge and police officers monthly nut, in some Mayberry looking town in Mississippi. I've had engine blocks drop on me that haven't hurt near as much as that damn paper cut did....

16. And someone mentioned arthritis? That doesn't count. It is natures indication that you are still alive, Paraphrasing René Descartes, " I hurt, therefore I am."

17. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn't any of your buddies tell you NOT to get married?;)

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and williebill like this.
  18. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quick fix for the pain. Shredded raw potato. Wad up a handful and hold it on your eye, or eyes until the burning goes away.

19. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cleaning off the edges on a sheet of steel with a 7" Milwaukee with a cup brush. Tilted the brush the wrong way and it flipped back and removed the entire front of my Levis. Fortunately it didn't remove anything else.

20. I sitting in the Doctors office as I type this. I was supposed to have knee surgery replacement. But it was cancelled twice, due to wounds on my legs from working on the Hot Rods. Is it just me, or does everything stick out knee level or lower? The Doc also asked me what's all the black spots on my legs. I said that's just primer spots. lol He told my wife she needs to quarantined me from myself. Ron....

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Terrible80

Terrible80

Cuts I can handle, when I damage parts due to the clutter it's time to clean up and organize.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1 likes this.
  22. LAROKE

LAROKE

As a kid, I remember falling on my knees all the time. Unless I skinned a knee, there was no lingering pain. Now days, a glancing contact with a frame rail, under my truck, on a creeper, will have me limping around for two days.

23. I'm retired and working around the yard and house. So far I have dropped a 2' long section of 6" tree I was taking down on my wrist... thought it was broken, just bruised up good. Dropped a sledge hammer on my big toe, that is black and blue. Nipped my left hand with pruning shears. Got poison ivy so bad I went to the doctor.

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

oh one more minor injury. scraping a decal off my back window on my 61 Dodge. set the razor blade down and reach over to wipe away the pieces and stabbed myself in the stomach as somehow I set the blade down sharp end up.
    I had a Doctors appointment the next day or so and she asked me how I got stabbed... should have told her I got jumped for my cell phone.

Thor1 likes this.
  25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

reading some of these replies most of you should NEVER us a 9" shrinking disc. those things are a giant slice in your body just waiting to happen.

26. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try tying down all these coil springs. I've been cut, scratched and gouged by hundreds of hog rings. I'm never going to complain about the cost of upholstery again.
    0813201029_HDR.jpg 0813201029.jpg

LAROKE, williebill, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well... somebody once said...
    The goal is not to have a good looking corpse... but to live life full tilt boogie until you're battered and frayed and completely worn out.
    So far so good.

alanp561, williebill, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  28. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Watched the lead man from the assembly side of our machine shop completely pierce through his left hand with a large phillips screw driver while talking to me at my Jig Bore. That is still a very vivid image in my brain to this day, and that was 1978. Mental note: never hold something in yer hand while reefing on it with a screw driver, put it on the bench! We're not get'n any younger Jeff. We don't heal as quickly, Ya gotta be careful!

Stogy, Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Me a while back. Spool of woven wire fence unwound on me[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

LAROKE, williebill, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  30. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

I am that way with nearly every project; home, yard, shop or car. I know I’m not done until I’m bleeding.

Stogy, Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.