Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 3-speed truck floor shifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57ChebbieTrk, Aug 13, 2020.

1. 57ChebbieTrk

57ChebbieTrk

I have a ‘59 GMC with a 270/3-speed (column shift) and I’d like to convert it to floor shift.
    Anyone have any recommendations? Most shifters listed at Jeg’s or Summit don’t go back to ‘59, for some reason. Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. ahshoe

ahshoe

I just picked up an universal 3 speed shifter at a swap meet and fabed up the chrome handle.I see them on E-Pay from time to time. You won't find a specific one available for your application and I could not either when converting my 56 F100 from column to floor. So that is the route I went.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  3. donsz

donsz

I received the following from Hurst, my trans is a 3 speed OD trans and I needed to clear the bench seat.
    "Hurst has two options for you;"
    1. HUU-3667271 shifter and HUU-3670010 installation kit. It is listed for a Chevelle but it will work with your transmission and the stick has a big bend for seat clearance.
    2. HUU-5010002 is your second option. It is the Indy SSA shifter for the 3 speed and has a slightly bent stick for the seat.
    I used option 1, it still didn't clear the bench seat.. I installed buckets and notched the shifter handle at the base, forced it forward and re-welded it. I don't think you would have this problem with the regular 3 speed.
    You could also look at:
    3. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUU-3666809/
    4. http://www.hurst-shifters.com/hurst-products/INDY-SHIFTERS/INDY-PICKUP-TRUCK-3-SPEED-SHIFTER
    don

4. I dont know if GMC shared Chevy transmissions,or not,but I bet you could find a old sparkomatic shifter on E bay.You might put a "wanted" ad here in the for sales/wanted. I think Hurst has a 3spd shifter kit yet,but its about 300-400 bucks!

5. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

57ChebbieTrk likes this.
  6. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first choice is to hit the swap meets and find a good used three speed floor shifter, fabricate a transmission mount and if you are lucky there will be a couple of shift rods you can modify to fit. Getting one with a removable handle would be better so, if needed, you could get a handle that meets your needs (I suspect a pickup needs a longer handle than a corvette) but...good luck finding a swap meet. Hopefully someone on here will have an old catalog with the part number of the correct one and you may be able to get new pieces that will work. My neighbor converted his early 55 Chevy pickup to a floor shift but he swapped out the three speed for a pickup four speed with granny low. As a kid I could shift my dad's similar pickup pretty fast with "truck" transmission:) Beat a 53 Ford F100 v8 in the quarter.

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Don'y buy ANYTHING other than a HURST shifter, otherwise, you WILL be sorry, as these junk, cheap shifters are just that, junk and cheap (not in price however). Even it you have to buy a used HURST, then do that. ALL the tower assemblies are the same (the actual shifter mechanism), and if you get a bolt on stick model, you can buy new, whatever stick, will fit your truck the best (it may not be perfect). Then you'd have to buy the rods, levers, boot, etc. If your truck is stock, then the transmission is a Muncie 318, a Muncie 319 if it has overdrive. Now, I'm going to send you a P.M. with an offer you can't refuse!
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hurst Syncro-Loc.

57ChebbieTrk and bowie like this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please don’t do it... It was the dumbest thing I ever did to my 50’s pick-ups.... and there were more than one. Parts are available to repair what there. The only way I’d do it would be for a 4-5 speed...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  10. 57ChebbieTrk

57ChebbieTrk

Thanks man. When I bought it, I was going to use it for parts. But after some research, I discovered how rare it was, and could not tear it apart. Much work has been done, with much more left to do.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app